RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Windshield Washer Fluid for winterization

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Windshield Washer Fluid for winterization

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Cbones

New York

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/11 04:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was talking to an old time Rv'er. He said that he uses windshield washer fluid instead of the pink stuff in the traps and the holding tanks. You can get a gallon for right around a dollar on sale. It got me thinking. I always just blow out my lines anyway, hate the smell of the pink stuff in the water lines. Then I usually pour the pink stuff in all the drains, d/w, and washing machine; so it is not as if I am worried about ingesting the fluid.

Does anyone else use windshield washer fluid instead of the pink stuff, and are they happy with the results?

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/11 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would imagine it would work fine for the drains, but since most of us also flush the lines with the pink stuff, and it's only about $4/gal at Walmart, why not just use it for the entire RV?

I also blow out my water lines, but then I pump the pink stuff through them, so that I'm not diluting it as much (I'll assume that there will always be some water in the lines after I blow them out).

If you have a large system, you might need more than a gallon of the pink, so maybe it would make sense/cents to use the windshield cleaner for the traps and drains.

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/11 04:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you tried blowing out your drain lines also? All it takes is the air line and a rag to make a seal around the drain. A little blast of air and you don't have to worry about the trap freezing.

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/11 05:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah I'm with the others. You need to 100% blow out the lines.

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Cbones

New York

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/11 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been winterizing my RVs for 8 years now by just doing a good job blowing the lines and not introducing the RV antifreeze into my supply lines. I have yet to have any kind of problem. The washer fluid seems like a good idea as I often use almost 3 gallons in the drains, as I have a washing machine, a dishwasher, and an exterior sink with very long runs of flex sewer drains. I know that the flex sewer drains are capable of holding lots of water as they typically are not pitched properly. Additionally, I will use the coach several times throughout the winter necessitating several winterizations. It's probably not that big of a deal, but I can easily go through 3-4 cases throughout a winter season, but if I could cut that cost by $4/gal, it starts to add up.

dks

Mississauga

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/11 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why use toxic windshield washer fluid when you can use the correct product for winterizing? As others have mentioned, you may go through possibly 2 gallons to winterize. Is the $4 per year that much difference? I would use the right product and be a responsible RV owner.

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/11 06:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be sure you check the label on the windshield washer fluid. Usually the stuff you buy in the summer has NO antifreeze properties. Winter stocks are freeze proof to a greater or lessor degree. I don't know that they specify how low they go on the label. Might be an expensive lesson to find out if they work in the temps you expect.

John

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
BlueOx Aventa LX Tow Bar
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Tom N

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/11 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For a fun time on your first Spring trip I suggest a couple half gallons of Old Grand Dad.

-Tom

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Cbones

New York

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/11 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't realize that there was another post on the same topic.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/11 08:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

Have you tried blowing out your drain lines also? All it takes is the air line and a rag to make a seal around the drain. A little blast of air and you don't have to worry about the trap freezing.

How do you then prevent odors from the holding tanks? I've used Windshield washer fluid as a flush for toilets when I had a non four season RV in the past and was traveling during cold weather but I really like the fact that RV antifreeze is non toxic. Not so sure about wiper fluid.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Windshield Washer Fluid for winterization
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS