RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Campground responsibility??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Campground responsibility??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
gatoram

NE Florida/NW Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/11 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were at a campground over the weekend when we heard a commotion outside. Seems there was a power spike that burnt out a directv receiver and micro/convection oven in one coach and took out a surge protector in another. Upon further investigation, it was determined that one leg of the 50 amp power was 140v as opposed to the 120v it should be.

Does the campground have a responsibility to its tenants to supply safe power? Are they liable to repair the damage? Are we on our own when we plug up?

2004 Mountain Aire 4301 triple slide. Spartan/400hp Cummins ISL.

2007 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited toad/Brake Buddy
Roadmaster Falcon2

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/11 03:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

do you use a meter to check the power pole before plugging in? if not, you should. i would think that most responsible CG/park owners carry insurance for this sort of thing but proving it was them and not a problem on your end may be difficult.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Raking leaves....mother nature's way of getting you in shape to shovel snow!

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/11 03:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In all fairness I would think that unless the campground showed some kind of negligence, that it would actually be the power companies fault. It's terrible that stuff like that happens.

Tell ya what, if I had a 1 million dollar DP, I would NEVER plug it in without some kind of massive protection.

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

past-MIdirector

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/11 03:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How would they be responsible for 140 volts from power supplied by the local energy company? If you've ever plugged in a power meter at a home or any outlet, you'd see the voltage goes up and down. I've had both under and over voltage and it has never damaged my surge guard.
It's the same as your home if a storm or animal cause a voltage problem or short. The power company will not pay for your damage and you have to file an insurance claim with you carrier.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/11 03:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was CG 'generating it's own power or was the power to CG being supplied by outside source (power company).

CG is responsible to have proper electrical equipment installed......transformers, pedestals, wiring, grounds etc. but have very little control over 'power spikes/surges' from outside source.

A quality mufti-function surge protector (permanent or portable) is your best friend.....and cheaper to replace if needed than appliances/electronics

thgoodman

Where ever the wheels stop - Mesa, AZ for winter

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/11 03:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure you will get ALL KINDS of opinions on this. For what it's worth, here's mine. If you have comprehensive on your insurance, check with your insurance company and let them sort it out with those they deem responsible. That way, you will get your stuff paid for right away and the insurance company will subrogate. That's what you are paying your ins co for.

Tom & Jan
Full timers since April '06 - 1 fur kid (Archie - mini Poodle.)
2006 Beaver Patriot Thunder towing 2012 Subaru (4 down)
Started workamping Sept '07 - "This isn't too bad. Think we'll do it some more."

Geozzz

South Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/11 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gatoram wrote:

Does the campground have a responsibility to its tenants to supply safe power? Are they liable to repair the damage? Are we on our own when we plug up?
No responsibility for a power company spike, no liability to repair damages,yes you are on your own when plugging in unless the campground had done some gross error with the wiring.

Kathy & George Zimm
Mickleton NJ
2006 Coachman Epic and 2011 Chevy Equinox toad
2 Shelties

amxpress

Clayton, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/11 03:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always use a Voltmeter and a polarity checker before plugging into an unfamiliar CG's outlet.
I did have a 30A plug burn because of arcing of a bad recepticle. I replaced the plug, but the CG gave me a free night.
Think this one's on the camper, not the CG.

2007 Dodge RAM 2500 Quad Cab w/6.7 Cummins
2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
Reese 15K Pro Series manual slide
Prodigy
Firestone Air Bags
Champion 3500 genny
M.I.L denied parole! Yeah!

Lady Fitzgerald

Tempe, AZ, USA, Earth

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/11 03:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would depend on local laws which will vary from place to place and State to State. Even when CGs are required to provide safe power and can be liable for damage caused by dirty power for reasons due to their electrical system (dirty power can be the fault of the power company, in which case they would have to be dealt with), proving that was the cause of any damage could be difficult and is going to take time, especially if you have to go to court.

It would be far easier to just have a good EMS installed on your electrical input such as the Progressive HW 50C (50A hardwired version: there is also a 30A version and both 30A and 50A versions are available as hardwired and portable). Surge guard also makes them.

A good EMS will protect agaisnt surges and spikes and will shut down the power going to the RV if voltage or frequency goes too high or low or the CGs wiring goes bad (such as the neutral goes out or some idiot works on the CG's wiring and hooks up something wrong). Shelling out $350 (30A units are less expensive)now is a lot cheaper than having to go through the time and hassle of replacing A/Cs, refers, converters, inverters, microwaves, TVs, etc, even if the CGs or your insurance will cover it (in the case of your own insurance, a claim might raise your rates or cause them to cancel you).

Jeannie

J-Rooster

Port Orchard, Wa. / Lake Havasu City, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/11 03:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

do you use a meter to check the power pole before plugging in? if not, you should. i would think that most responsible CG/park owners carry insurance for this sort of thing but proving it was them and not a problem on your end may be difficult.
X-2! I would call the AG's Office in the State I was in to find out what rights I had to protect myself.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Campground responsibility??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS