RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Workamping Forum: Information Discussion for Gate Guards

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Workamping Forum

Open Roads Forum  >  Workamping Forum

> Information Discussion for Gate Guards

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 125  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jimmyfred

Tx

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/12 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mfar1234 wrote:

Hello All; I'm about to venture off into the world of full time RV living. I'd sure like to spend a few months unwinding in the Gate Guard community - bank a few more $'s - while I put together my plans.
Can anyone give me some good insight and tell me how easy it is to get a gate? I'm a single fella - hard work isnt an issue!

Chime in

.............Much of what happens on a day to day basis depends , on the company you work for , the attitude of the Company man , the weather , the quality of the support trailer which includes generator-fresh water and septic , the knowledge and attitude of support personnel when your genny quits at noon when it's 105f , etc .
..............Understand , IF you are on a gate by your lonesome you're NEVER going to crawl into bed for 8 hours of continuous sleep , you'll be lucky if you can find time too shower and fix a sandwich without someone coming through your gate . You will become 'Zombieized' too some extent depending on the amount of sleep you can "do without" !
..............Don't take it for granted you'll get hired or beable too 'handle' the working conditions of gateguarding . Those singles who've earned their stripes , are dedicated and actually enjoy their work know that it's the $$$ in your savings acct at the end of the first year that offsets all the discomfort they've put up with that motivitates them too keep on working ! And , analyzing and responding correctly too a complex safety issue will overwhelm those who haven't prepared themselves for such ! , jf

2003 Chevy 8.1 Dually 2Wdr.
1999 Travel Supreme , 33 RLSS
20K Reese , Prodigy etc.

The Texan

Summer - Cascade, ID

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/12 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been doing this since 2007 and I have worked a gate as a single for up to a month.......No thanks, there is no way I would ever consider taking a full time gate by myself.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to send a PM.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"">
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ Rzr 800 or 570 or a Quad riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Blondie Girl

Currently-

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/12 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before you jump into gate guarding, you need to think about how you will obtain groceries and do laundry. You will be working 24/7 and each well takes 3-4 weeks. So you would need enough groceries and clean clothes for at least a month at a time. You could even be assigned to a gate that might last several months.
It sure would be a hectic job for a single person.

Mfar1234

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/12 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, the 5th Wheel will have a larger fridge and I plan on placing a smaller deep freeze in the unit - as well as a washer/dryer.

I figured it would be hectic as single -- however, I;ve heard that there are some gates for singles and some w/ a third person because of the work load...

My thought process is to "get in the door" and in time get a slower gate alone or work as a third at another.

Have any other knowledge to pass along?

Thanks for responding
Mark

">
Mfar1234
40' 2002 Alpine Coach, 400 ISL Cummings/3000 6sd Allison
2006 Dodge Ram 4x4
Brodie - Lab Mix and Baylee - Border Collie

Ajones42

South Texas Puckerbrush

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/12 03:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mfar1234 wrote:

Yes, the 5th Wheel will have a larger fridge and I plan on placing a smaller deep freeze in the unit - as well as a washer/dryer.

I figured it would be hectic as single -- however, I;ve heard that there are some gates for singles and some w/ a third person because of the work load...

My thought process is to "get in the door" and in time get a slower gate alone or work as a third at another.

Thanks for responding
Mark

Hey Mark,

There are some gates that are 12hr gates where a single might JUST get by. There are also some gates that are manned by a team and a single but please understand these are the exception to what is usual and customary.

You might try and see if anyone has a position up around Ft Worth. Some of those gates in the city up there are mandated to be 7am - 7pm because of there close proximity to subdivisions etc.

Fulltiming in a 2010 Puma 30RKSS
1993 Dolphin 32D -> Destroyed by hail April 2013
Gate Guards in the South Texas Pucker Brush
My Old RV
Oil Field Gate Guard Forum

jimmyfred

Tx

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/12 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mfar1234 wrote:

Thanks for responding
Mark

..............Texan , Bob , knows more about GGing than anyone else around ! You should PM him for knowledgeable advise with any questions you might have !
..............I reread my post and it sounds harsh but I really didn't intend for it to come out that way ! I just wanted you too realize , that without any actual experience , a single working on a 24\7 gate is a very tough introduction to a Job that can be very enjoyable as long as you are properally prepared ! , jf

Southern Nights

FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/12 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is an interesting blog of a single woman who gate guards. Reading her blog the gates sound pretty easy and very little traffic.

http://whatsupwithsusanandcompany.blogspot.com/

You need to go back a few weeks in her blog to find the gate guarding experiences. I think she left her last gate at the beginning of Sept.

Larry and Samantha
Fur kids-Duchess,Mesa and Sweetie

waywardwinds

mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/12 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what happen this thread was great till we joined then it went dead.
john and carol
2000 holliday rambler class a 2 slides
and a lab

H345

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/12 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

waywardwinds ,

Several GG companies have recently suggested that the activities of their guards not be public knowledge . If you have specific questions , privately email or pm individuals .

The Texan

Summer - Cascade, ID

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/12 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

H345 wrote:

waywardwinds ,

Several GG companies have recently suggested that the activities of their guards not be public knowledge . If you have specific questions , privately email or pm individuals .

LOL...No suggestion about it. GGS threatened them with their job if they posted any info on a public forum and made them sign a Non-disclosure statement. The rest of us are still here and still posting, just not any GGS employees.....[emoticon]

By the way, GGS is now the lowest paying gate guard company in Texas. ALL of the others have increased their pay.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 125  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Workamping Forum

> Information Discussion for Gate Guards
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Workamping Forum

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2015 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS