RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Workamping Forum: Information Discussion for Gate Guards

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Workamping Forum

Open Roads Forum  >  Workamping Forum

> Information Discussion for Gate Guards

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 123  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jimmyfred

Tx

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/12 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mfar1234 wrote:

Hello All; I'm about to venture off into the world of full time RV living. I'd sure like to spend a few months unwinding in the Gate Guard community - bank a few more $'s - while I put together my plans.
Can anyone give me some good insight and tell me how easy it is to get a gate? I'm a single fella - hard work isnt an issue!

Chime in

.............Much of what happens on a day to day basis depends , on the company you work for , the attitude of the Company man , the weather , the quality of the support trailer which includes generator-fresh water and septic , the knowledge and attitude of support personnel when your genny quits at noon when it's 105f , etc .
..............Understand , IF you are on a gate by your lonesome you're NEVER going to crawl into bed for 8 hours of continuous sleep , you'll be lucky if you can find time too shower and fix a sandwich without someone coming through your gate . You will become 'Zombieized' too some extent depending on the amount of sleep you can "do without" !
..............Don't take it for granted you'll get hired or beable too 'handle' the working conditions of gateguarding . Those singles who've earned their stripes , are dedicated and actually enjoy their work know that it's the $$$ in your savings acct at the end of the first year that offsets all the discomfort they've put up with that motivitates them too keep on working ! And , analyzing and responding correctly too a complex safety issue will overwhelm those who haven't prepared themselves for such ! , jf

2003 Chevy 8.1 Dually 2Wdr.
1999 Travel Supreme , 33 RLSS
20K Reese , Prodigy etc.

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/12 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been doing this since 2007 and I have worked a gate as a single for up to a month.......No thanks, there is no way I would ever consider taking a full time gate by myself.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to send a PM.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ the Rzr or ACE or a Quad riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Blondie Girl

Currently-

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/12 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before you jump into gate guarding, you need to think about how you will obtain groceries and do laundry. You will be working 24/7 and each well takes 3-4 weeks. So you would need enough groceries and clean clothes for at least a month at a time. You could even be assigned to a gate that might last several months.
It sure would be a hectic job for a single person.

Mfar1234

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/12 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, the 5th Wheel will have a larger fridge and I plan on placing a smaller deep freeze in the unit - as well as a washer/dryer.

I figured it would be hectic as single -- however, I;ve heard that there are some gates for singles and some w/ a third person because of the work load...

My thought process is to "get in the door" and in time get a slower gate alone or work as a third at another.

Have any other knowledge to pass along?

Thanks for responding
Mark

Mfar1234
40' 2002 Alpine Coach, 400 ISL Cummings/3000 6sd Allison
2006 Dodge Ram 4x4
Brodie - Lab Mix and Baylee - Border Collie

Ajones42

South Texas Puckerbrush

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/12 03:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mfar1234 wrote:

Yes, the 5th Wheel will have a larger fridge and I plan on placing a smaller deep freeze in the unit - as well as a washer/dryer.

I figured it would be hectic as single -- however, I;ve heard that there are some gates for singles and some w/ a third person because of the work load...

My thought process is to "get in the door" and in time get a slower gate alone or work as a third at another.

Thanks for responding
Mark

Hey Mark,

There are some gates that are 12hr gates where a single might JUST get by. There are also some gates that are manned by a team and a single but please understand these are the exception to what is usual and customary.

You might try and see if anyone has a position up around Ft Worth. Some of those gates in the city up there are mandated to be 7am - 7pm because of there close proximity to subdivisions etc.

Fulltiming in a 2010 Puma 30RKSS
1993 Dolphin 32D -> Destroyed by hail April 2013
Gate Guards in the South Texas Pucker Brush
My Old RV
Oil Field Gate Guard Forum

jimmyfred

Tx

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/12 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mfar1234 wrote:

Thanks for responding
Mark

..............Texan , Bob , knows more about GGing than anyone else around ! You should PM him for knowledgeable advise with any questions you might have !
..............I reread my post and it sounds harsh but I really didn't intend for it to come out that way ! I just wanted you too realize , that without any actual experience , a single working on a 24\7 gate is a very tough introduction to a Job that can be very enjoyable as long as you are properally prepared ! , jf

Southern Nights

FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/12 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is an interesting blog of a single woman who gate guards. Reading her blog the gates sound pretty easy and very little traffic.

http://whatsupwithsusanandcompany.blogspot.com/

You need to go back a few weeks in her blog to find the gate guarding experiences. I think she left her last gate at the beginning of Sept.

Larry and Samantha
Fur kids-Duchess,Mesa and Sweetie

waywardwinds

mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/12 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what happen this thread was great till we joined then it went dead.
john and carol
2000 holliday rambler class a 2 slides
and a lab

H345

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/12 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

waywardwinds ,

Several GG companies have recently suggested that the activities of their guards not be public knowledge . If you have specific questions , privately email or pm individuals .

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/12 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

H345 wrote:

waywardwinds ,

Several GG companies have recently suggested that the activities of their guards not be public knowledge . If you have specific questions , privately email or pm individuals .

LOL...No suggestion about it. GGS threatened them with their job if they posted any info on a public forum and made them sign a Non-disclosure statement. The rest of us are still here and still posting, just not any GGS employees.....

By the way, GGS is now the lowest paying gate guard company in Texas. ALL of the others have increased their pay.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 123  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Workamping Forum

> Information Discussion for Gate Guards
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Workamping Forum

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS