|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> Chair lift for back of motorhome

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
dstone

virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/11 10:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have any of you put a chair lift for your scooter/wheelchair on the back of your motor home? We're not sure what brand or type to buy. The kind that attaches to your hitch and has a ramp to run your chair onto is the cheapest, but not sure if the ramp will reach the ground. Any advice will be appreciated.

reluyog

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/11 11:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would imagine that even if the ramp reached the ground, it would be too steep to be useful. Might as well get a standard rack weight rated for your device, and as cheap a ramp as you can get that would be a separate item stowed elsewhere. Better yet, get a ramp long enough to park your unit in your motorhome. The electronics on power wheelchairs and scooters don't take well to moisture or very humid environments. It'd be a good idea to wrap it up real tight if you're going to carry it often outside of your vehicle. Using an electric vertical lift would eliminate the ramps, but the ramps might be useful in other ways too.

Damian
1983 KW W900, 3406B Cat, RTO15, 355's
1995 Carriage by Carriage triple axle 22K

Johng

Gilbert, AZ, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/11 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow a Chevy Traverse. I had a Pride Backpacker lift installed (3rd seat needs to be removed) and I have a Jazzy 614 that fits very well. No worries about the weather.

Good luck,

John and Judy
Division Fire Chief - Retired
USAF - Retired
05 Beaver Santiam
11 Chevy Traverse - Toad w/AF One

pmeloy

Surrey, BC, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/11 07:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought a TT and I'm having a 2" receiver built into the rear end to take a wheelchair carrier with ramp. I've been hauling around a 3 wheel scooter on my blazer for the last two years and don't find any issues with water as the scooters are made for driving in all weather (except deep snow of course). I always wrap it in a tarp if it's going to rain but that's as much to keep the seat dry for my wife as it is to keep water out of the electronics.

I'm actually looking at buying a BBQ cover for the scooter as they're a heck of a lot cheaper than a "scooter cover".

traveylin

Rockport

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/11 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep the controls in the steering tiller dry, dry. The rheostats, control board, and connecters are subject to wetting and failure.
Consider also the whip of the carrier with road dips and humps. If it mounted far back from the last axle the whip up and down can be a problem.

Other than that, the carriers work pretty good and free up inside space

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/11 08:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry my Ranger scooter in the back of my Vue. It is out of the weather and away from meddlesome people looking and playing. You could get a lift to put the whole scooter in or use my method. I take the seat off, 2 batteries off, unhitch the drive portion, and fold the handlebars down. The batteries are the heaviest and I can still lift OK but not walk very far. I also have the scooter with me wherever I go with the toad.

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

dllfo

Sacramento, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/11 09:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Scooter Store installed one on the back of my Chevy, then when we went out, I had our kids pull it off the truck and put it in the receiver on the back of the MH. Ran the power cord around the side of the MH, into the battery area and it would raise it up and down as I required.

I don't remember the name of the unit, but if you want, I can go out and get the info tomorrow. It works GREAT!!

2002 Monaco Diplomat 38PST

sonicsix

Jerry n' Cynthia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/11 08:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a wide assortment of wheelchair lifts and carriers: http://www.discountramps.com/wheelchair_carriers.htm

I have the AL300RV mounted on the back of my toad. Sure, I would like to have the wheelchair inside and out of the weather while traveling but I simply do not have that option. My wheelchair is a Nutron R51 LXP and weighs 175 pounds including the batteries. My carrier weighs 105 pounds so a good Class III or IV hitch is a must. It is very easy to take the wheelchair anywhere we go and without it, we would not go very many places. I do wish our Class C had a wheelchair lift to get inside, but for now, I can still manage to get in and out using the entry door.

dstone

virginia

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/11 11:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for your help. We have been in Florida since November 15th so that's why I haven't thanked everyone for their help. We needed a scooter carrier to bring back a used scooter from Florida thanks to a gift from our daughter and son-in-law. While there, we purchased a used carrier that is way bigger than what we need. It's very heavy and it did lots of bouncing coming down the road with the tie downs actually loosening up a bit. We added extra ties to secure it that we tied in knots. We will be selling it and buying a smaller lighter weight one and adding new shocks or something else to the back of the motorhome. Hopefully, this will help some of the bouncing.

talonhead

SE CT

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/11 02:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pmeloy wrote:

I just bought a TT and I'm having a 2" receiver built into the rear end to take a wheelchair carrier with ramp. I've been hauling around a 3 wheel scooter on my blazer for the last two years and don't find any issues with water as the scooters are made for driving in all weather (except deep snow of course). I always wrap it in a tarp if it's going to rain but that's as much to keep the seat dry for my wife as it is to keep water out of the electronics.

I'm actually looking at buying a BBQ cover for the scooter as they're a heck of a lot cheaper than a "scooter cover".

I have a Rascal scooter that was my Dad's, complete with hitch lift.
My wife has balance problems. So when my dad passed on my sister shipped all the stuff for me, including the scooter set-up. Spring '12 she'll be bringing the 5ver down from AK, so we can pick it up. I think I will install a hitch reciever on the 5ver for taking the scooter along when we hit the road. Just have to get new batteries.
Mike

2014 Ram 3500 Limited Mega Dually 4WD (True Blue Pearl) w/Alcoa's & paint match bumpers.
1999 Ford F250 Lariat CC/SB V10 4WD
2000 24 5P Prowler 5th wheel.
[URL=http://s28.photobucket.com/user/talonhead/media/Towing/imagejpg1_zps7e7f696d.jpg.html]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> Chair lift for back of motorhome
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS