|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Upgrading present RV rather than purchase new one

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
jurzbill

Edgewater Florida and this great country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/11 07:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been looking at new RV's and found nothing out there really interests us. We have decided to upgrade our '04 Kountry Star rather than get into a newer one. We figure we can invest maybe 10k into ours rather than investing big bucks into something we really don't want.
Any others out there doing the same..

2004 ksdp 39ft
toad:06 Saturn Vue

FMCA F359471, Newmar Kountry Klub 17645
bill, linda cary grant, carley.
chance and chase are with us in spirit and travels with us where ever we go.

footslogger

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/11 08:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's what we are doing. We wanted a higher-quality short pusher and are very happy with our choice. I don't think we could replace it with a similar new coach even if we wanted to.

We make about one major modification/improvement each year. One year we added a 400 watt solar array, the next we added a custom credenza/computer cabinet to the dinette wall, the next we replaced the TVs with HD digital flat screen, the next an automatic HD satellite dish, etc. Future mods include replacing carpet with ceramic tile or wood flooring.

It makes sense for us.

footslogger

2004 Country Coach Allure 33' Cummins 370HP ISL
400 Watt Solar Array. M&G Braking System
2003 Honda Element (and as many canoes as I can carry!)

1SG

Cloverdale, OR

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/11 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with you. We have a 2000 Winnebago UA and love the floor plan but it looks dated. We have been making changes to the interior to bring it up to date. All the cabinet hardware has been modernized to brushed nickel and facuets have been changed to match. We have upgraded the entertainment equipment along with the inverter/charger to better provide clean 120v power for the modern electronics. We have been updating the furniture by replacing or recovering. The free standing dinette was replaced with a computer/buffet unit with built in wine rack and storage. The new unit still aforeds us 4 person dining when needed. We switched out our day/night accordian style window shades with MCD day/night shades. This winter we will change out the window valances to match the new decor.

All our changes have been made with the idea that someday someone else will own our motorhome so we have kept our choice of materials simple and tasteful but more with keeping with todays styles. We are very happy with our motorhome and everyone that sees it thinks it is newer than what it is and likes the look.

Good luck with your upgrades, you will love it.

Paul & Sandy
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PDQ
'56 Ford Customline Victoria
'62 Chevy Impala SS 409/4spd
U.S. Army Retired
Cloverdale, OR

tkcas01

Roaming Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/11 09:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep. In the past year have upgraded to HDTV and Trav'ler dish, had MCD cockpit shades installed, replaced slide gaskets and toppers, replaced headlights that were yellow and cracking (had tried some of the headlight polishes, but the problem was not all on the surface). In earlier years, replaced cracking 3M shield, repainted entry steps, repainted wiper arms, re-chromed mirrors, re-powder coated tow bar - things that left undone make a rig look old.

Roaming Full Timer
2004 Monaco Diplomat DST
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

frmAloha

Oregon (OR-y-gun)

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/11 10:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forgive my ignorance, but what are MCD shades?

Oregon Native
Retired w/
2000 31' SurfSide
Class A

tkcas01

Roaming Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/11 12:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shades from MCD Innovations in McKinney, TX now come as standard equipment on many RVs, replacing the pleated day/night shades and also the curtain in the driver cockpit.

See MCD Innovations.

Also, here is my post showing the result of my upgrade.

Tedtoo

Livingston, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/11 12:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I made the decision to upgrade rather than going into debt to replace mine with something comparable. Have a 2000 American Dream, bought new. This year, I had it repainted (first picture on the Phoenix Paint site). New carpet installed. Captains chairs reupholstered. Window valences recovered. Dining room chairs recovered. New tires. 44 point inspection at Spartan (and stuff fixed).

Was it worth it? Yes. The rig has always been maintained and I don't have to mess around taking a new one back to the dealer or the factory to get it fixed! I figure I would have spent this much money paying the tax on a new one, plus the insurance would have been higher.

The only things I figure on replacing now are the hot water heater and the microwave. So far, they're holding up, but we'll see.

TedToo

doc brown

Redondo Beach, CA,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/11 02:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I started that process 3 years ago. I've done quite a bit and have spent around $20K. Cheaper than buying what I want.

Steve,Kathy,Josh & Morpheus the Basenji
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2008 Wrangler X Rubicon/Blue OX Tow Bar/Ready Brake

Phillerup

Usually Travelin' the USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/11 03:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We won't be buying new until someday maybe we trade down in size when we get older. We maintain our coach very well but have not needed to do any major upgrades except for the electronics. Re-caulked the BriteTek roof entirely the last couple of days. Installed new flat screen TVs and DVD player and things like that. Put on new tires all the way around. Got rid of the Diamond Shield junk we had on the front. Had to fix a little thing here or there but really just normal routine maintenance. Next project will probably be replacing the slideout vinyl topper covers. Also will probably replace the shower water valves soon with some with a better quality look and a more residential type look. They still work fine but are looking sort of dated or RVish.

2003 Newmar DSDP 4005 dual slide king bed Spartan 350 Cummins 2004 Jeep Liberty 4X4 tow, SeaEagle boat in basement

The Dunks

Madera, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/11 04:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We really like our current MH too. So we had the TVs replaced and cabinets to hold them redone, had the MCD shades put in the front (replaced the curtain) and had a slide out shelf put in the kitchen area. We also replaced the Dome satelite that came with it to the "Traveler". Next we want to replace our entry step. Stuff breaks on our MH, but we get it fixed right away and take good care of her...so far she has returned the favor!

The Dunks - Terry and Steve
'05 Endeavor - The Oasis
'10 Jeep Liberty
In God We Trust

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Upgrading present RV rather than purchase new one
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts