|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Our newest stray...now family member

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Code2High

One hour past Nowhere, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/12 09:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Listen, don't get fussed about the trapping. I've got a fluffy, beautiful house-lynx in my back room right now that thinks I hung the moon in the sky, and I caught him in a trap. She'll be upset, but she'll get over it. And you won't get torn up. Or wait too long and end up with a litter of kittens to place.

susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

Cookielady

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/12 03:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not worried about a trap and will get one. We now have a 3rd cat that has shown up but I have to put a limit on this. I would love to save them all but I just can't. Will talk to the humane society about what to do with the other one. I hate it but it seems every week another cat shows up. People dump pets like they are just garbage to be thrown out and that really infuriates me. Now, I have to feel like the bad guy because I can't afford to take them all.

Motorhome Mama
http://www.worldisround.com/home/mhmama/index.html

Cookielady

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/12 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another cat has shown up. I called the humane society and they said that because our male is fixed, he is no threat so the newest male has shown up to take over the female.
I am going to get 2 traps, try to catch both of the newest ones and get them fixed.
It appears that the female is already pregnant but they assured me that they will terminate the pregnancy and then get her fixed. I know it sounds harsh but the kittens would not do well living as strays and it is for the best. If she is pregnant, it is in the very early stage.
Every day, it seems I see a new cat or kitten in our neighborhood. Things have changed so much in the last 10 or 20 years. So much property is up for foreclosure or are being rented out and the renters don't take their animals with them when they are evicted.
Bad economy affects everyone, even the innocent animals. Hopefully, more people will step up and try to help the so called "throw away pets"

Cookielady

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 09:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We got the traps and guess what? The intact male has disappeared and the female only circled the trap and even though she was hungry never would take the bait. I am not sure what to do as I really need to catch her and get her fixed.

Spike88

New Glasgow,Nova Scotia Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 07:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a can of really smelly tuna or something like that. Put about half of the can out. Dig a hole under the trap and set the can in the hole. Place the trap over it. I usually will put a sheet over it as that works better sometimes. The cat will smell the food and then go in to get it but has to go to the end of the trap to get to it.

Margie UPS~44

Code2High

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 09:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting plan, Maggie! Well worth a try. What I usually do is start with the food at the opening of the trap for a day, then move it back, then back, then SNAP. Desensitizing her to entering it over a few days in that way may get the job done. BUT! If the intact male shows up again you'll need to go one step farther and set it up so you can run a string from the trap to a hiding place, to stick-and-string it and be sure you get her, not the tom. If you get the tom and she sees it happen that is no bueno.

If you have a room you can get her into and shut her in.... leave a place in the corner for her to hide when you open the door to get in... a trap covered with towel would be ideal, since she'll go anywhere to hide once she's trapped. That can be another approach to dealing with a trap-wary cat.

Code2High

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 09:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTW please keep us posted and let us know what you're working on, there are a few people with trapping experience here and some of us have quite a lot.

Cookielady

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 02:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, it took over a week but she finally went in last Friday. We had her fixed on Monday (unfortunately she was pregnant) and took her home Mnday afternoon. Took care of her for 3 days and this morning we were able to let her loose. She is looking good and staying close to the back door. She hisses and spits at us but that is okay. That is why they call them feral. Our male cat is now happy to have his companion back and all is well with the world.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Our newest stray...now family member
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS