|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Workamping Forum

Open Roads Forum  >  Workamping Forum

> What type of RV for a gate guard

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
firedoc

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/11 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have been considering looking into gate guarding. Wife agrees. Never thought about type of RV being an issue. Saw recent advertisement soliciting GG couples (http://workingcouples.com/job_opening/couples-needed-south-texas-gas-and-oil-industry) and noticed the requirement for an RV included 5er or TT but not MH. Are MH discouraged from these positions or just an oversight by the adeditor?

'06' 38L Fleetwood Bounder
6 speed Allison
300 Cat
2012 GMC Terrain
Roadmaster baseplate
Ready Brute Tow Bar
And M&G brake system

Eyegor

NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/11 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hopefully others with more first hand experience will chip in but this is what I have been told. Some, but not all GG duties are true boondocking. The rig has to be self contained. A MH is normally more equipped to start for this but any rig can be set up right. Also, because they tend to be remote, a TV or toad is practically a requirement, unless you are solo. In that case, plan on staying put. Again, no 1st hand experience here. Just what some folks I met online have said in the past.

87 Mallard Sprinter 24' Class C Ford E350 w/460 gas "The Runny Duck"
Shiny side up, Rubber side down.

TexasShadow

Spring Branch, TX USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/11 05:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

probably has to do with the road conditions more than anything else. there will be some gravel roads, maybe two miles or more which means bumps and dust.

TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
( Sometimes ) BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad
M&G aux brake system
Datastorm 3990
854 watts of solar power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/11 05:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen MANY gate keepers with motorhomes and even some pop up trailers. Have no idea why they'd care what you lived in. They may not want the unit to be MOVED on your days off but....towed?

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/11 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would say it was an oversight on the editors part. I do know some will NOT hire anyone with a rag tag RV, but never heard the no MH bit. We have been down some pretty nasty roads, one longer than 5 miles, to a site, but always got there in one piece...B

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/'10 Rzr or '13 Suzuki 500 riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

firedoc

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/11 05:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too thought it was probably an oversight by the writer of the ad but I thought I would check it out. Thanks for the quick replys.

Ajones42

South Texas Puckerbrush

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/11 05:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have an older motor home and when we applied for the job, the lady did question me thoroughly on its' condition and appearance. I ended up sending her recent pictures which satisfied her. Like any good business, appearance is important.

At one point, when we took time off, we were replaced by a couple in a FEMA trailer that looked pretty rough. Several comments were made about its' appearance when we returned. They did get another assignment with the company however.

The environment can be TOUGH on an RV. I don't know if I would want a brand new high $$$ MH sitting out on one of these oilfield pads.

I would say whatever you consider, 2 AC units are mandatory if you plan on going through a Texas summer. A generator is also not a bad idea. We have had two failures on our company provided generator. When it is 115 degrees outside, a backup genset is nice.

Fulltiming in a 2010 Puma 30RKSS
1993 Dolphin 32D -> Destroyed by hail April 2013
Gate Guards in the South Texas Pucker Brush
My Old RV
Oil Field Gate Guard Forum

kj41

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/11 07:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a Gate Guard and I have a MH a 32' dolphin 1997 vintage. Good shape one though. My husband and I just started a week ago, a gate guarding forum and we would welcome you to visit. It is an open forum with no advertising.
Here is the link: Gate Guard Forum
The only type of rv I haven't seen on a gate is a little 'tear drop' one. Though, even that could be possible, but heck to get out of the dust the oil trucks kick up. He he. Nothing against teardrops just a thought.
Thanks,
KJ

rabajara

Bonnieville, Ky

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/11 09:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We only have one air conditioner. On the next one there will be 2.
It keeps 1 air conditioner humping and it will still get hot inside. On our next one, 3 slides (we only have two now). It is nice to have big windows on the front of camper so you can see out. Ours has living rm at the door with chairs on the front side. Our kitchen is at the end. On the next one i want it in the middle. So when i go home and grandkids come to spend the night, i want have to walk over the laid out couch to get to the kitchen. We did take one chair out and brought our small freezer this time. I also got a washer & dryer. The dryer is in the back of my nissan. We unload it for use. Would have to put another vent in camper for dryer. Don't want to do that as we are now looking for a 3 slide. The camper do get awful nasty while gate guarding. We are not in New Baden,TX here for another 2 weeks. Spend most of our time around Gonzales,TX.

coolbikeman1

Springfield,Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/11 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ajones42 wrote:

We have an older motor home and when we applied for the job, the lady did question me thoroughly on its' condition and appearance. I ended up sending her recent pictures which satisfied her. Like any good business, appearance is important.

At one point, when we took time off, we were replaced by a couple in a FEMA trailer that looked pretty rough. Several comments were made about its' appearance when we returned. They did get another assignment with the company however.

The environment can be TOUGH on an RV. I don't know if I would want a brand new high $$$ MH sitting out on one of these oilfield pads.

I would say whatever you consider, 2 AC units are mandatory if you plan on going through a Texas summer. A generator is also not a bad idea. We have had two failures on our company provided generator. When it is 115 degrees outside, a backup genset is nice.

I sure agree with that about not having a high dollar rig at a oil field gate guard site. We just experienced our first job which lasted 3 days while they were dismantling the drilling rig. We will now have to work harder trying to clean all the dust on our trailer and vehicles, and inside the trailer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Workamping Forum

> What type of RV for a gate guard
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Workamping Forum

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS