|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> No AC power from Generac 36

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
88lover

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/11 04:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

Notice that you're measuring both DC and AC voltage across pins 1 and 2, and across pins 2 and 3.

Yes I noticed that.

Today I found the generator end of the 12v connection. That plug goes in the left side of the generator directly above the battery cable connections. The only way I can unplug this plug because there is no space between the plug and the left wall of the generator cabinet is to unbolt the generator from it's mounts, then improvise some metal support bars to span the bottom hole, then slide the generator to the right 3 to 4 inches.

Once done, I can run test 29. then test 30

I just noticed that test 32 in the block diagram is run before test 31 and is run only if test 32 passes

STATOR TESTS
TEST 32 - POWER SUPPLY WINDING TEST
1. Disconnect the 12 position cable from the inverter.
2. Start the unit with CB1 in the OFF position.
3. Set a VOM to measure AC. Measure voltage across Pin #6
and Pin #7. The power supply voltage should be approximately
25-30 VAC at approximately 2700 rpm.
4. Turn CB1 to the ON position.
5. Voltage across the floating power supply should be approximately
30 to 34VAC at approximately 3400rpm.
6. If results are lower, there is a possible stator problem. Proceed
to Test 34.

All of this will have to wait until after Thanksgiving because of honeydo's?

Life is great.....don't let a few liittle bumps in the road get you down. Especially when great people are willing to share their experience to help one over the bumps.

* This post was edited 11/20/11 04:21pm by 88lover *

BillS

Mount Pleasant, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/11 04:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In case you haven't figured it out yet, those tests in the Service Manual are written to be done with the generator out of the camper and on a test bench. I used a couple of saw horses with 2x4 cross pieces and bolted the generator down to them, connected it to a LP gas bottle with a regulator, and a 12-volt battery before running the tests.

Hey, I'm right behind you in age... 71 We old retired guys have the time...

Bill

'03 Lance 1121
'03 Dodge 3500 Diesel Dually

88lover

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/11 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillS wrote:

In case you haven't figured it out yet, those tests in the Service Manual are written to be done with the generator out of the camper and on a test bench. I used a couple of saw horses with 2x4 cross pieces and bolted the generator down to them, connected it to a LP gas bottle with a regulator, and a 12-volt battery before running the tests.

Hey, I'm right behind you in age... 71 We old retired guys have the time...

Bill

Bill, before I started running test, I wanted to check availability of parts. I called a Generac dealer who told me parts were not available as te generator was obsolite and he said I was on my own.

I then called a RV deaaler and asked about the availability of the 0A6060 board (in case that is the problem) and also was told that the part number was obsolite.....but the young lady said "wait a minute" and she found a cross referance to a newer board.

The newer board was a $325 non returnable order snf yhry would not guarintee that the new part number would be a direct replacement for the old board.

My guess is that the new board (if needed) would be OK but I still think Generac support sucks. They should have a direct replacement of all parts listed on their web site.

The Generac dealer's brush off was sad.

BillS

Mount Pleasant, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/11 02:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deleted Post

BillS

Mount Pleasant, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/11 02:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The people you talked to are full of it. Evidently, they don't want your business. Generac parts are available. I have ordered parts from this online supplier: http://www.generator-parts.com/ and have good luck with them. Here is another parts supplier: http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/ I haven't ordered parts from the second supplier I listed so I don't know about their service.

Bill

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/11 05:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillS wrote:

The people you talked to are full of it. Evidently, they don't want your business. Generac parts are available. I have ordered parts from this online supplier: http://www.generator-parts.com/ and have good luck with them. Here is another parts supplier: http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/ I haven't ordered parts from the second supplier I listed so I don't know about their service.

Bill

My thought as well.

I've ordered parts from both of those places. A few minor Generac parts from generator-parts.com, and a Dinosaur board for a Dometic fridge from ASAP.

I looked up a few sample parts on both websites such as the high oil temp and low oil pressure sensors, the A6060 board, diodes, etc. and found that they are all at least order-able. The prices shown at ASAP look reasonable for most items. ASAP wants $291.74 for an A6060 board.

If the problem turns out to be the inverter though, it looks like you will be hard pressed to find a new one for less than the $964.89 that ASAP wants. Ouch! The old Generac inverter part number (A6187) sub's to a new number (D4885E) that apparently is a new and improved inverter kit. I wonder if getting the old inverter repaired locally is an option?

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2010 F450

88lover

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/11 06:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info. I hope it is not the inverter that is wrong. It would seem that some one with know how could have a good business with a repair shop for comonents.

I have found that the new replacement control board has a part number 0A60600SRV.

The Generac dealer simply wanted to sell new generators and tried to tell me that repair was too complicated.

From what I have read in the service manual......that statement is a lie. The manual is complicated.....but if one reads it 2 or 3 times, ite steps seem logical.

The inverter test are static test. Unfortunitely, the solution of a failure of this component is to replace the inverter.

I guess I will have to obey Bill and dismount the generator and rig a work bench.

* This post was last edited 11/22/11 11:30am by 88lover *   View edit history

big whitey

raleigh,nc

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/11 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

really sorry the dealer is giving you the run around,unfortunately this is typical as they don't call em Genecrap for nothing.my experience with these gen sets has left a bad taste in my mouth as it is hard to find any one willing to work on them and you will need a good repair center as they are problematic.

remember do not spend too much on repairs as a 2000 Honda can be had for less than $900 and is a much better unit IMHO.

all the above has been my experience,YMMV.

BillS

Mount Pleasant, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/11 04:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

big whitey wrote:

really sorry the dealer is giving you the run around,unfortunately this is typical as they don't call em Genecrap for nothing.my experience with these gen sets has left a bad taste in my mouth as it is hard to find any one willing to work on them and you will need a good repair center as they are problematic.

remember do not spend too much on repairs as a 2000 Honda can be had for less than $900 and is a much better unit IMHO.

all the above has been my experience,YMMV.

Not an option for us. I don't want to mess with carrying gasoline and hassle with setting up the generator outside for running the air conditioner and heating a hot dog in the microwave for lunch at a rest area. It's also kind of hard to run a 2KW Honda generator while traveling with the 13,500-BTU air conditioner running keeping the camper cool. A 2KW Honda probably won't even run a 13,500 BTU A/C.

If I change anything, it will be to replace the Generac with an Onan. One of our previous Lances was equipped with an Onan LP generator.

Bill

big whitey

raleigh,nc

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/11 11:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

from a convenience stand point i totally agree with you,hard to beat pressing a button and voila instant juice.however that is only an advantage if it runs. the Onan is only a marginally better gen set than the Genecrap.time was that people swore by the Onan now lots swear at them,so sad.sure would be nice if Honda/Yamaha offered a built in model,SIGH. again all the above reflects my experiences and is my opinion,YMMV.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> No AC power from Generac 36
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS