|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Blue Screen of Death Caused by Unusual Circumstance

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/11 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yesterday I finally scraped my Toshiba Satellite. It gave me four good years till it blew the video chip. It cost me $200 to get it fixed and lasted only six months. I pulled the hard drives and tossed it out. I bought a portable USB case for the HD, $12.
I now have 300 gigs, portable.

TMBLSN

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/11 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not BSOD, I agree with LittleBill, look for an update graphics driver.

BSOD is a TERMINATE issue. The computer cannot 'come back' from a BSOD, it must be rebooted. An all-blue screen in not a BSOD, most likely a graphic card issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Screen_of_Death

mr. ed

Madison, SD (but usually elsewhere)

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/11 04:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the helpful replies, friends. I did a little more experimenting today. I found that MSE may not have anything to do with the blue screen issue. I also discovered that when I clicked on "program setup files" in My Documents it caused the same blue screen as the "downloads" file did. The screen first turns blank (white), I get a message "program not responding" and then when I end the program it results in an immediate blue screen (returns to normal after a short time).

Here's what I did. I moved the troublesome "downloads" file to a CD as I wanted to remove it entirely from my computer. I left the "program setup files" in place. I then performed a malware scan on this file with MSE and nothing unusual was found. I'll eventually move that file as well. I'll run the CD on another computer and try opening these folders to see what happens.

Some of you mentioned a possible problem with a video driver. I'll try updating but I'm curious as to how a video driver could cause problems with just 2 folders and not the others. Why is that?

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition

mr. ed

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/11 04:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fizz wrote:

Yesterday I finally scraped my Toshiba Satellite. It gave me four good years till it blew the video chip. It cost me $200 to get it fixed and lasted only six months. I pulled the hard drives and tossed it out. I bought a portable USB case for the HD, $12.
I now have 300 gigs, portable.

I did the same as you a number of years ago when I dropped my first Toshiba satellite and broke the screen. I salvaged the hard drive, installed it in an enclosure and use it for backup purposes to this day. So, it wasn't a total loss.

Lemons750

Glenpool

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/11 08:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have found sometimes Windows7 will auto update and that happens. So I have to go into safe mode and set my system back to before the update then I turn off updates for a few weeks to give them time to fix their POS update and then let the updates auto download again.

You don't notice it happen as it updates - it happens after you shut down and restart.

pete42

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/11 08:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the past when I first turned on my laptop It would sometimes display a blue screen.
I ran a registry cleaner and found over 800 items that I could remove computer now loads and runs faster than it has in a long time and no blue screen on start up.

mr. ed

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/11 07:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everything's been OK since that I moved those two folders (downloads & program setups) to a CD. The new downloads folder doesn't cause the same blue screen as the previous one did. Don't know what was contained in those original folders that set off the problem but that's a moot point now.

Some of you suggested I search for an updated video card driver. I did and none was available, but now that everything appears to be OK I guess that doesn't matter anymore. Thanks again for the assistance...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Blue Screen of Death Caused by Unusual Circumstance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS