RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: '71 Starcraft Wanderstar- "The Hilton"

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Vintage TT's

> '71 Starcraft Wanderstar- "The Hilton"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 38  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
U.P. BLDR

Upper Peninsula of Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I find a Simpson ammeter in my pile I'll send it to you

That Morningstar would have come in handy in my last two fivers. I ran two battery banks, basically the main bank and a backup battery. I switched them with one of these.

1981 Sunline 17 1/2SB - under construction
2003 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD 4x4 4.7lt

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spent a few hours installing a new backsplash and splatter shield around the stove. I didn't like the original plastic shield:

New copper backsplash:

New shield deployed:

Shield folded for non-cooking times and travel:

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I seemed to have forgotten how much ancilliary stuff needs to get put in the Hilton, towel bars garment hooks, curtains, etc..

Just putting hooks in requires a bit of thought as to whats behind in order to mount things:

Some things are tricky to mount like the mirror:

And some things are easy like the curtain rods:

I used the coffee sacks and a piece of twisted wrought iron to cover under the kitchen and bath countertops:

The coffe sack deal was getting a little overwhelming when I tried to use one for a curtain. We'll have to rethink that idea:

The lariat got hung:

And, if I got anything right or needed to leave behind some piece of brilliance for mankind, the TP holder is it. I made it out of a horse bit:

U.P. BLDR

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow West you weren't kidding about the cowboy theme, looks like the wild west in there! I have to admit, at first I wasn't so sure about the gray color of the luan, but now that it's all come together it looks perfect. It has that weathered look, and some of the grain looks like spalting, it just fits so well I couldn't imagine any other color now. You really pulled it off, very nice work my friend!

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

U.P. BLDR wrote:

Wow West you weren't kidding about the cowboy theme, looks like the wild west in there! I have to admit, at first I wasn't so sure about the gray color of the luan, but now that it's all come together it looks perfect. It has that weathered look, and some of the grain looks like spalting, it just fits so well I couldn't imagine any other color now. You really pulled it off, very nice work my friend!

Thanks UP! That compliment, coming from a guy that has a whole lot more experience with rec vehicles, really means a lot, to me.

Anyone can tell from the pictures that I'm not an interior decorator. The inside is probably too man-oriented for most and my color choices or materials are sometimes based on what I can scrounge from various sources. I figured that keeping to a Cowboy theme, I'd be able to keep some of the interior in a rugged aspect. One of the best looking things is the use of the Pine countertops. The blonde wood really lightens things up and looks highly finished. Thanks for passing the idea along!

U.P. BLDR

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

West you are one creative guy and you deserve lots of kudos! You attacked this major project with an end goal in mind, and achieved that goal with great success! I'm sure over the years many will draw wisdom and guidance from this thread and all the hard work you've done. Here's to many happy camping trips to you and her Highness!

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

U.P. BLDR wrote:

West you are one creative guy and you deserve lots of kudos! You attacked this major project with an end goal in mind, and achieved that goal with great success! I'm sure over the years many will draw wisdom and guidance from this thread and all the hard work you've done. Here's to many happy camping trips to you and her Highness!
Hey, thanks UP, the same wishes to you and yours and I hope we both helped out a few guys that are wondering if they can restore a vintage TT.
I have a few doo-dads I'd like to get done, mostly mounting TV's, speakers, radio and so forth, The remaining two bigger tasks are installing the flooring and painting the exterior. I'll have the final pictures up when I get those done.

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One little project that comes from the "...because it's there" part of my brain, the new polycarbonate vent cover:

A friend had the domed part of the cover and I solvent welded the side panels onto that part. It is very close to the size of the original, cracked cover that I have in one location. I'm betting it will disperse a lot more light than the one it replaces.

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/12 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kinda' slow in the vintage section so might as well show off the new outhouse door. I was thinking one of these doors, mounted between floor and ceiling would be enough for privacy but the Polish Princess did some recon and told me it wouldn't be enough. No problems, I had to buy them in a two-pack so floor-to-ceiling it will be. Wait, if I attch both together one set of louvers will be faced up. OK, a piece of that lawn chair cloth and all is good.

I think I grabbed the appropriately marked board to join the doors. It translates to:"The Devil's Locker".

U.P. BLDR

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/12 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The devils locker lol! I like the cuts you made top and bottom. I don't know if the old saloon doors were like that but that's the first thing I thought of. And btw...holy moly you even have a saddle in there tex! I'm thinking the Hilton is going to need a more appropriate name, like "The Westend Saloon".

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 38  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Vintage TT's

> '71 Starcraft Wanderstar- "The Hilton"
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS