RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: '71 Starcraft Wanderstar- "The Hilton"

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Vintage TT's

> '71 Starcraft Wanderstar- "The Hilton"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 37  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/12 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hope all you Dad's had a good weekend, the only way mine could have been better would have been camping.....that is soon to come.

Speaking of different ideas, (lol, what a segue), here is the first cabinet door hung. This is something I really dig, taking something discarded and put it to use, maybe even better than anything I could do in a standard way. The door is a stainless steel picture frame and has the "TMA" (Trailer Mfg. Association) logo. It is light, durable, easy to clean, and, if I tire of the look, the artwork can be changed out in a heartbeat:

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

U.P. BLDR

Upper Peninsula of Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kind of artsy fartsy their West, I like it! Fits that opening perfect.

Pretty soon I expect to see some nice full shots of the interior, got to be getting close now.

I'll be working on mine this weekend since that little leak is still present. I ordered Eternabond and it came in yesterday so hope I can take care of it once and for all.

1981 Sunline 17 1/2SB - under construction
2003 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD 4x4 4.7lt

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/12 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, that's me a collector of fine art, lol. At least I have the second part of that description down, the part about "-fartsy", lol. I've been holding off on interior pictures until I have just about all of the trim work done, that should be today, news and pictures at 11.

I am now a rabid fan of Eternabond. The stuff sticks like no tomorrow and does exactly like described, fixes leaks. I've also been using small pieces to seal screws. If I put a small piece of Webseal over the hole, the fastener sucks that up around the threads, seals the hole and covers the fastener head.
I had one place where there was a persistent, small leak, right at the front corner- passengers side. I used the Webseal to seal screw holes and now, no more leak (*knocks on wood*). I hauled out from the storage shed, a Dayton squirrel cage blower, the other day. I'll do a leak test when all is complete. I think that's the only way to know for sure that all is tight and sealed.

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/12 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, thought I'd post a few pictures of the "almost" finished interior.

Just got these doors on the cabinet spaces:

Plate and cup racks:

Window trim:

The other window:

Cowboy coat rack:

Hallway trim:

Sorry about the quality of the pictures, my camera batteries were low and I didn't want to use the flash. When I have more completed, I'll break out the photo lights and try to take some better pictures.

* This post was edited 06/22/12 08:02pm by westend *

Bit Bucket

Brookings, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/12 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great stuff as usual West!

Thanks for sharing and great work.

I will be interested in the maiden voyage and how it turns out.

Keep us updated, happy camping!

HeathJohnson

Rigby, ID

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/12 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking awesome!

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/12 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks! I'm closing in on it..after the trim work is done, I will install flooring and paint the exterior. I plan to take the Hilton for a weekend "sea trial", just me and Her Highness, to somewhere close. We might venture down to Treasure Island, they have a great campground and the entertainment isn't bad.

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/12 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Installed AC and DC gauges in one of the kitchen doors. These old-school gauges will let me know, quickly, what my power is doing. They are switched on the panel and have indicator lights for a reminder to turn them off when not in use:

U.P. BLDR

Upper Peninsula of Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/12 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a big fan of analog gauges and have used them in all my previous campers and still have them in my hunting camp. I also used to put in an ammeter to monitor power usage in and out, although certainly not a necessity, more like watching power meters bounce on my old amp. I would've put meters in my Sunny if I hadn't gotten such a smokin deal on the tri-metric. Like the vintage look too, I still have a pile of old Simpson meters here that I've collected over the years.

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/12 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup, that bottom meter is a Simpson, dang fine meters they are. I'm still looking for an Ammeter of the same style. I guess when I start adding in the solar, I'll have a better gauging system. I was looking at this Morningstar Sunsaver Duo charge controller. It is built for two banks and has the included meter panel.

Until then, the old Simpson and the DC meter will have to do it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 37  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Vintage TT's

> '71 Starcraft Wanderstar- "The Hilton"
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS