|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Storage delimma

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
turbopilot51

Ridgefield, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/12 01:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After moving from a tt to our new fiver, I am having problems trying to decide how to arrange the storage area. I knew where everything was on the tt. The storage on the fiver is totally different and my organizing skills leave allot to be desired. How have others arranged their stuff in the basement area? I know this will take time to sort out but right now I m feeling overwhelmed!

vladen

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/12 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hehe Just wait till the very last minute ,,be in a big hurry and chuck it in till its full ,, just like they do with them airplanes.

Vlad's busy workings

All hope is gone

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/12 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchased some of the plastic containers with drawers that slide out to keep some things in. Things that I'm going to get out first, I put near the storage doors on the side that I may use them on...You should have a ton of storage space compared to your TT. I purchased most of my plastic drawers and containers from Wally World or Big Lot's (if you have one of those in your area)...you can stack them neatly and organize "stuff" in them in order as you use them.

Jim & Kathy
2013 Dodge 3500DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin tranny/4:10/Cummins: 385HP/850TQ
06 HR Presidential Suite 37RLQ/SK3005 Satellite/Splendide XC2100/4slide/dual pane windows
2014 Jeep Compass Ltd 4X4
Boxers;Buddy& Sheba II
USAF 71-75 Nam Vet

dqdick

Council Grove, KS

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/12 02:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We found some rolling storage boxes that look like large tool boxes at Wally World and between that and my Dewalt regular tool boxes we have it somewhat organized.

Dick and Joyce
2010 Montana 3665RE
Dodge 2500HD Maxi Cab Laramie Edition
Diego, Norm, & Bitsy

louiskathy

Oregon (presently)

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/12 02:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you having trouble getting things to fit?? Or are you having trouble remembering where things are??

Colored bins are good. or Clear bins (so you can see inside them)with different colored lids.

Ziplock makes HUGE zip lock bags. XXXL are big enough to put sewer hoses and connection in them. They are sturdy thick plastic bags with a handle at the top.
Get them from Home Depot or Lowes.

Still can't decide where to put what... use your camera and take pictures of what's in the boxes. Arrange the pictures in the computer inside folders marked Bay door#... D1...Bay door #P2. (D for Driver's side and P for Passenger side).

Sounds like you are on overload because you feel like it a big area and you'll never remember where you put it all. You can do what we do...and just buy it a 2nd time. You're chances of finding it increase the more of them you own.

Kathy

louiskathy

Oregon (presently)

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/12 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a walk through Office Max, Staples or Home Depot... you'd be surprised how many great storage boxes and drawer system containers they have there.

Find places for your stuff based on priority... Tools are a priority. Be very picky how you find a home for them and what you store them in. Hubby used different tool bags and sturdy drawer systems.

As far as little items... like jewelry... I use fishing tackle and fastener boxes to store mine in. Zippered collapsible canvas type (breathes air)containers for clothing INSIDE and dust proof containers outside.

There's always a chance of dust/moisture getting into your storage bays.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/12 02:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me thinks you are packing way too much stuff..........

We FT and everything we own is with us.
In the front compartment goes the items we use but only occasionally (small box of assorted screws, clamps, wash/wax supplies, extra hose, macerator kit, small wrench kit, portable screw/drill kit)

In front roadside small compartment goes wheel chocks, plastic boards for under landing gear legs, a small container holding water reg./fittings/pliers etc and then water hoses are hung on hooks.
The roadside compartment to basement is where small BBQ, charcoal, water softener and associated items go.
In curbside basement compartment is small step, toolbox, air compressor, easy-up, step ladder, plastic file box, plastic Christmas box, two small tables and two reclining lawn chairs.

Our curbside slide-out has a tall compartment....holds long handles, brooms, brushes, fishing poles, pic-nic table stuff and dogs outside water dish/leash/tie out.

That's it......open up any compartment and you can see what's in it. Don't need anything else.
We found out early on.......less is more

Randu

South Central Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/12 03:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't say what size your trailer is so hard to compare and help, Here are pictures of my basement which might give you a direction to move toward.

This is looking in the front under the overhang. Open area usually contains 4 chairs and satellite dish.

View from side door.

Storage drawer pulled out.

I have a different tote for Electrical including extension cords and area lights, water hookups, sewer connectors and extra hose, Satellite and cable wire and related. Hope this helps, Randu

2014 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
LB,4x4,Duramax
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/12 03:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I keep stuff I use on the awning side on the awning side eg chairs, cooler, mats, tasble cloth, etc. On the roadside, I keep the roadside stuff; hoses, wood, electrical cords, buckets, etc.

I also use bins to keep like stuff together but what really helped was buying a decent label maker with a keyboard and label the containers with what is inside of it.

If you have storage bays under slides then keep seldom used stuff in those.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

remoandiris

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/12 04:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a similar dilemma a few weeks ago...basement stuff not efficiently organized. I thought about making some wooden platforms and put little used but essential stuff underneath (compact ladder, 50 amp extension cord, etc). Instead, I did the same thing as Big Kahuna. I put that stuff near the road side hatch so I can get to it if I need it. The other stuff I had in the basement I put into large wheeled bins I had sitting in my garage, empty. Things I use together, like stuff for outside the 5er, go into one bin and things I use inside the 5er go into another bin.

I have a LOT of leftover space in the basement now and the basement look neat and organized.

2011 GMC 3500 Dually
New to me 2006 Jayco Designer 38RDQS
2 Boxers and a Maine Coon

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Storage delimma
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts