|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> kayaks vs canoes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
JenniferandJosh

texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/12 03:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking into purchasing one or the other since we're in the prairies and lakes region of Texas. Any advice on one versus the other? What about inflatables? Is it realistic to haul around a non- inflatable?

“Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life.” -Jack Kerouac

Crowe

Billerica, MA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/12 03:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayaks can make it into places that canoes can't. They tend to be more maneuverable than canoes. However, it's easier to carry gear in a canoe and when when get's lazy (i.e., ME!) the other can paddle. Try both out if you can before you buy. Can't say much on the inflatable.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

1mtnman

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/12 04:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Old Town Camden 106 Angler Kayak that I use for fishing. It is 10' 6" and has rod holders and a sealed rear compartment for storage also a small sealed cylinder in front of the cockpit for small electronics. It has an anchor system also. The weight is 51 lbs. I carry it on top of my truck cover on a rack. Works well for me.
I previously had an Old Town canoe which was 14' 6" and it was nice but a bit heavy to load/unload for me.

1mtnman

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/12 04:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a picture of my Old Town Kayak.

lizzie

Unaka NC &Sopchoppy FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/12 04:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not agree that kayaks are more maneuverable than canoes. It depends entirely on the type of canoe/kayak that you have and the skill of the paddler. That said, we carry both "hard canoes" and inflatables. We have an inflatable kayak (an Advanced Elements StaitEdge2) and an inflatable canoe (Grabner Outside). We use them for different purposes. If you are thinking of paddling on lakes or on smooth water and you are beginners, you might prefer a small kayak. The learning curve seems to be pretty fast. If you are considering whitewater, you might be more comfortable in an inflatable. We consider it very worthwhile to have the Grabner inflatable with us as it will handle big water and we are old people. It is a very dry boat for cold water. The AE Straitedge2 is NOT a dry boat but we enjoy it on NC whitewater in the summer. Our solo canoes are perfect for tight, "intimate" streams in the southeast. The advantage to having an inflatable with you at all times is the opportunities for stopping by an attractive waterway, pulling it out of the truck, blowing it up and being on the water in 20 minutes. Try to find an outfitter who will let you try out a variety of boats. Best of luck. lizzie

JenniferandJosh

texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/12 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I should add that we are beginners and being so, would probably stick to calm waters.

Thanks for the advice thus far. I think it will be a nice addition to our regular RV activities like napping and eating.

JenniferandJosh

texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/12 04:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I should add that we are beginners and being so, would probably stick to calm waters.

Thanks for the advice thus far. I think it will be a nice addition to our regular RV activities like napping and eating.

JenniferandJosh

texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/12 04:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1mtnman, very nice! Would two fit on the top of a truck? Id like my husband and I to do this as an activity together.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/12 04:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Consider the differences between a sports car and a limo. One is very maneuverable and quick to respond and the other is kind of slow and less maneuverable but very comfortable and usually hauls a lot more.

It really depends a LOT on where you're using it. My preference for lake use would be the canoe but for use in current or narrow channels, the kayak would be the way to go.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

camperpaul

Wherever I park my travel trailer

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/12 05:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

Consider the differences between a sports car and a limo. One is very maneuverable and quick to respond and the other is kind of slow and less maneuverable but very comfortable and usually hauls a lot more.

It really depends a LOT on where you're using it. My preference for lake use would be the canoe but for use in current or narrow channels, the kayak would be the way to go.

You beat me to it...

In "whitewater" I want a kayak; when camping in BWCA I definitely want a canoe to carry all of my stuff.

Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
1982 6.2L Diesel Suburban 1500

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> kayaks vs canoes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts