|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Jayco 23b Change to 2012 Model

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
JSmith10110

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/12 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did all of our extensive research last year and narrowed it down to the Jayco 23b. We moved up to a Tundra 5.7L and are ready to get the HTT to tow. We waited and went through the RV show last weekend to see one last time if any layouts had changed or new options were available before we landed on the 23b.

My 6'4 husband got into the shower and noticed that the Jayco 23b is now much shorter this year than past years. Bummer! Fingers crossed they change it back for 2013.

Any tall people have shower problem solving strategies? Tricks of the trade?

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/12 10:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i really find it hard to believe that Jayco lowered the ceiling height in their trailers. the 23B has been virtually unchanged in over 10 years.

do you have any new specs to back this up? i read Jayco's 23B specs back from 2004-2012 and they all have an interior height of 78".
did the shower have a raised skylight?

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

JSmith10110

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/12 05:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The shower no longer has the raised skylight which takes away height and was a model change for this year. I was not clear and was did not mean to imply that they shrunk ceiling height across the board.

It's one of the few showers he is completely smushed in with the raised shower floor and lack of skylight.

dahkota

Fulltiming

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/12 05:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It might be that they raised bottom of the tub rather than lowered the ceiling height. I have seen this in other models.

My husband is 6'2". We have found that quite a few manufacturers seem to think people are never taller than 5'11". Banging your head in the sky light is not a comfortable way to take a shower. We have a 2011 and while the floor area has 78", the shower area has about 74", a 4" lift on the tub.

You may be able to find a 2011 new and still on the lot. It may take a bit of hunting though. Good luck!

2008 Ford F250 diesel
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped, 2014: 22

Chuck_S

Broadview Hts, OH, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/12 05:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, the shower pan raises it above floor level, probably to allow a P-trap in that area (so tank stink doesn't flood the trailer).

A domed skylight can certainly be added. You may be able to get the dealer to install this as part of the deal, but dealing with a "local dealer" usually means paying thousandths of dollars more for the camper than you should have.

I'd not look for a 2011 as the 2013 models will be on the lots in May or June. At the high volume dealers.

-- Chuck

'06 Roo 23SS behind '07 Expedition out of Cleveland
Our Photo pages

JSmith10110

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/12 07:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chuck_S wrote:

A domed skylight can certainly be added. You may be able to get the dealer to install this as part of the deal, but dealing with a "local dealer" usually means paying thousandths of dollars more for the camper than you should have.

-- Chuck

I was told that the domed skylight could not be added because of how they changed the construction of the roof. It's not longer framed out the same way and would be a large undertaking. When you say "dealer" vs. "local dealer" what are you referring to? The RV Direct or can you deal with Jayco directly?

Thanks!

JSmith10110

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/12 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just heard back from the dealer and I guess that jayco is redoing the roof construction now and making a running change to the 2012 models to include the skylight dome. Crisis averted . I can begin the process to place an order soon!

Chuck_S

Broadview Hts, OH, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/12 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Places like RVDirect may lack the means to make this modification, hence the "local dealer."

The "local dealer" will probably have a maintenance department that may be able to handle a new skylight.

As far as I know none of these roofs are "framed." They're foam cored laminates heat/glue bonded into a single, rigid piece. Should be able to cut any size hole in it and mount a skylight or vent. In theory. Know where the wiring goes before cutting. Lack of framing is one reason these trailers can be so lightweight and form core construction is extremely rigid and strong.

-- Chuck

nole_trainer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/12 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I find this quite an interesting thread. I've got a 23J on order and being 6'4" myself, the biggest thing I hated was the shower. I just figured I could slump for a 2 min shower or better yet use the campground one. My TT is set to leave on 2/2 so I'm now curious to see if it has the skylight. That is one of the things I liked better about the Roo's. Stay tuned, we are so excited to go camping and have all of our friends lined up to go!

HTT to be?

Southern Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/12 09:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JSmith10110 wrote:

The shower no longer has the raised skylight which takes away height and was a model change for this year. I was not clear and was did not mean to imply that they shrunk ceiling height across the board.

It's one of the few showers he is completely smushed in with the raised shower floor and lack of skylight.

Wow, surprised they took that out. Maybe to save a few $$. My sons are both over 6' and use the skylight for headroom as well. It is also nice to have the extra light in there. Glad your problem has been fixed by Jayco changing the design back. Order that baby and have a great camping season!

2007 Jayco 23B
2009 E350 Ford Club Wagon 5.4 w/ tow pkg
Equalizer hitch, Prodigy P3 brake controller
Buddy 125 Scooter-FUN!
1997 Coleman Sunridge- Served us well for 11 years!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Jayco 23b Change to 2012 Model
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS