|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Dixiechick

Trussville, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/12 10:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed in Elk Meadow last summer and have no complaints. Then again the campgrounds we use are not a destinatio fo us. The town is touristy but we had fun perusing the shops.

Cathy and Don, finally retired
Cats-Whiskers the Princess and Shadow the Baby
2008 Allegro Class A Open Road 32'

MPond

Thousand Oaks, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 10:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone know if you can have a campfire at the Estes Park KOA? I was about to make a reservation at the Spruce Lake RV Park, but then I read that they don't allow campfires, except at the community fire ring, and only until 10pm.

2003 Country Coach Intrigue, Cummins ISL 400
Toad: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) toad, with just a few mods...

Other rig: 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually / Next Level 38CK Fifth-wheel Toy Hauler w/ quads, sand rail, etc...

MPond

Thousand Oaks, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 10:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After some more searching, it looks like the KOA is the same way - only allows campfires in a community ring.

Are there any others around Estes Park that allow campfires?

Lauren

Sahuarita, AZ (or on the road!)

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 06:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, Mountain Traveler, I would hope you are right. They did allow open wood fires in the tent sites at the back when we were there but not in the rv section. They DID allow the wood ones if you had this commercial gizmo to put the wood in - theoretically, this was not then an "open" fire. That is what we were told then. Did not make sense to us as the wood was burning just as open as if it were on the ground. So we got smoked real well every night until they left (3). We were very polite and asked if they could move it a little and yes, they did - even closer to our 5er. They also ignored the Quiet Hours rule. Etc.
We have not had any issues to speak of with RV neighbors - only one other when the neighbor pitched a tent on OUR site and tents were not even allowed (but that is another very interesting story!)

* This post was edited 02/19/12 06:36am by Lauren *

DW of 51 great years, Barbara
2nd Best Friend-"Aussie" Terrier, Sadie
2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
2006.5 Chev 3500 3LT XCab 4x4 Dmax Allie

www.LaurenBarbara.com

www.LaurensPix.com

Mountain Traveler

Rocky Mountain National Park

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 10:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lauren wrote:

There may be some city / county ordinances that come into play because of fire danger. Seems to me though that last time we were at Elk Meadow they allowed them in self contained "campfire" rigs of some sort. We found that out only because the people next to us had one going right under our window when the rules clearly stated No Campfires. The office told us these were allowed. Well, when one is allergic to the smoke and the rules said no campfires we did not find this acceptable but ......... just yet another reason I would not go back to Elk Meadow or recommend them. Rules there are just kinda rules.

And I would imagine the not after 10pm because that is the time Quiet Hours begin.

Don't know when you last stayed at Elk, but there are no open wood fires allowed at any of the rv sites. Fires are allowed in the tent sites as well as the 2 community fire rings in which the park supplies the fire wood. You may have a propane fire at rv sites. There is some sort of city ordinance as to fires in rv sites.

Fleetwood Discovery Diesel Pusher with Jeep Unlimited Toad.

Lauren

Sahuarita, AZ (or on the road!)

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 06:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There may be some city / county ordinances that come into play because of fire danger. Seems to me though that last time we were at Elk Meadow they allowed them in self contained "campfire" rigs of some sort. We found that out only because the people next to us had one going right under our window when the rules clearly stated No Campfires. The office told us these were allowed. Well, when one is allergic to the smoke and the rules said no campfires we did not find this acceptable but ......... just yet another reason I would not go back to Elk Meadow or recommend them. Rules there are just kinda rules.

And I would imagine the not after 10pm because that is the time Quiet Hours begin.

Big Rusty

Loveland Co

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 04:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your best bet would be to stay in Loveland Co and use your toad to visit Estes Park and the RMNP. It would be easer to get around and park with a toad.Its not but twenty to thirty minute drive to Estes. Been there done that. I live in Loveland. Big Rusty

thegriffins

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 04:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stay at Riverview in Loveland. We like the pretty drive in and have always been satisfied.

Live each day as though it were your last!

Mountain Traveler

Rocky Mountain National Park

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lauren wrote:

Hi, Mountain Traveler, I would hope you are right. They did allow open wood fires in the tent sites at the back when we were there but not in the rv section. They DID allow the wood ones if you had this commercial gizmo to put the wood in - theoretically, this was not then an "open" fire. That is what we were told then. Did not make sense to us as the wood was burning just as open as if it were on the ground. So we got smoked real well every night until they left (3). We were very polite and asked if they could move it a little and yes, they did - even closer to our 5er. They also ignored the Quiet Hours rule. Etc.
We have not had any issues to speak of with RV neighbors - only one other when the neighbor pitched a tent on OUR site and tents were not even allowed (but that is another very interesting story!)

Lauren, I'm sorry you had this bad experience at Elk Meadows. I don't know when you were last there...all I know is what the rules were last year and now. My husband and I were site managers at Elk last year, and will be this year as well. The rules as they stand now are observed, and those choosing to bend or disobey them will be dealt with.

In the past Elk has gone through a lot of changes in ownership and mangers. Hopefully now that we have a good management team and staff those problems will not arise again. Slowly things things that have been let go as far as maintenance will be also be changed, upgraded and fixed. In this day in age of high costs and slow economy, some may not be done as quickly as any of us would like, but they are being worked on.

If any one is even thinking about coming to Estes for the summer wither they are planning on staying at Elk or somewhere else....I strongly suggest that you make your reservations quickly because of the Bear Lake Road construction in Rocky..Glacier Basin Campground in the park is closed for the next 2 years, taking 100 campsites out of what is available in the Estes area.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS