RV.Net Open Roads Forum: remote camping: what RV is best? TT/5th? Feet?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> remote camping: what RV is best? TT/5th? Feet?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/12 03:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

neither a TT or 5th wheel are very good for what you seem to want to de, the 5th wheel being worse.

an Nash/Arctic Fox TT, made in Oregon, might have an off-road option.

as was said, a truck camper would be the best for what you want.

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/12 04:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

On the boondocking forum I've seen recommendations for a Class C over any towable. I haven't thought about a popup but I have camped in them, we've had three of them, and all I can say is that they are barely a step up from tent camping.

We plan to do a lot of boondocking but will limit ourselves to places we'll be able to get a medium 5ver in hauled by a F350 FWD. We can travel on the rougher roads after leaving the 5ver at the campsite. A prime consideration for me for the 5ver is tank size. Jayco seems to have larger tanks than a lot of others. 82 gal fresh water. And we are getting a couple 2KW generators.
I don't know who recommends that, but I wouldn't try taking my class C too far into the boonies, ground clearance being the big problem, tank dump is 11 in off the ground, tail pipe is 7 in, gen exhaust pipe is 8 in. At 11'4", it is a lot lower than a 5er, & as much as I'd really love to go deep into the boonies, as you can see, it's not really made for that.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2005 KIA Spectra
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/12 05:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Six people in a popup during a couple of days of rain is pure heck. They are OK if the weather is fine, once it turns bad then they are not. Maybe they are making them with larger wheels now but they usually come with 13 inch wheels which blow out frequently and would have very limited ground clearance.

Glendale Titanium 29E34TS fifth wheel
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
PullRite OE Series Super5th 18K
Superbumper

JiminDenver

Denver, Co

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/12 04:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tow a 25 ft TT that sleeps 6 into the back country and it has to get rough, narrow, or tight before we turn back. I may go down some pretty rough areas but only if I know there is a great spot making it worth while. I wont take it any where it would take 4 wheel drive to get into though.

One thing to think of is a cap for your truck that two could sleep in and a smaller trailer that could sleep four. we use to do that with a 13 ft TT and a van. We took that rig much deeper into the woods on what I find out now were 4x4 trails.

check out where you want to camp and see what the access is like before you decide what to buy. We do day trips to find a area when we are not camping and then explore the area further when we are. We are starting over with the larger TT because we can't even get it into the general areas the smaller rig would go with ease.

JinD

2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2007/2003 Ford Expedition
490w solar with dual Eco-worthy controllers.
345 ah bank.
Champion 3500/4000 w/ remote start.

rovobay

Damascus, Oregon (Portland Suburb)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/12 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1995brave wrote:

What about a pop-up?

Edit: Never mind someone beat me to it. Got called away from the desk and didn't get the update until i posted.

pop-ups are nice, but if I want to use during colder months here in the PNW during elk hunting season with snow. . . that may not work too well. I also here about people who can't get the moisture out of the canvas (it gets wet here in the PNW.

Oh the choices...

1999 Cameo by Carriage 26FLS bought in February 2012 (our first trailer)

TV is a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4X4 Crew Cab Short Bed with a 6.6l Duramax and Allison Transmission

rovobay

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/12 06:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JiminDenver wrote:

We tow a 25 ft TT that sleeps 6 into the back country and it has to get rough, narrow, or tight before we turn back. I may go down some pretty rough areas but only if I know there is a great spot making it worth while. I wont take it any where it would take 4 wheel drive to get into though.

One thing to think of is a cap for your truck that two could sleep in and a smaller trailer that could sleep four. we use to do that with a 13 ft TT and a van. We took that rig much deeper into the woods on what I find out now were 4x4 trails.

check out where you want to camp and see what the access is like before you decide what to buy. We do day trips to find a area when we are not camping and then explore the area further when we are. We are starting over with the larger TT because we can't even get it into the general areas the smaller rig would go with ease.

JinD

JinD, That is exactly what I want to do... get a 25' TT, I can relocate my leaf springs to give more ground clearance. Scout the area before hand. I don't want to go anywhere crazy but somewhere others do not frequent as much. 6 people can fit inside when needed but ideally they will be in a tent. . . I do see that 5er will be higher and may snag up on branches (but I do carry a chainsaw!) Oregon like Colorado has tons of country and roads are everywhere... I am always amazed of the paved 1.5 lane roads in super remote locations... I know the secret spots are out there, I just need to find them!

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/12 07:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rovobay wrote:

1995brave wrote:

What about a pop-up?

Edit: Never mind someone beat me to it. Got called away from the desk and didn't get the update until i posted.

pop-ups are nice, but if I want to use during colder months here in the PNW during elk hunting season with snow. . . that may not work too well. I also here about people who can't get the moisture out of the canvas (it gets wet here in the PNW.

Oh the choices...
Thats not as much of a problem as it used to be, most, (if not all) pop-ups today have the new rubberized canvas, unlike the older ones that had canvas that would stay damp for a long time & get moldy & mildew.

* This post was edited 02/01/12 05:06pm by bukhrn *

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/12 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just walk out any mystery roads before you haul your trailer down it. Or drop the trailer and drive down it. Hitting a dead end with no room to turn around will ruin your mood.

Also check the local dispersed camping rules and get a map at the ranger station before camping. They are changing the rules and the fines are large.

Bbasso

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/12 10:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remote camping, sleeping for 6 =

rovobay

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/12 08:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bukhrn wrote:

rovobay wrote:

1995brave wrote:

What about a pop-up?

Oh the choices...
Thats not as much of a problem as it used to be, most, (if not all) pop-ups today have the new rubberized canvas, unlike the older ones that had canvas that would stay damp for a long time & get moldy & midew.

how new of ones have the rubberized canvas? I am on a budget. Thanks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> remote camping: what RV is best? TT/5th? Feet?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS