|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> how to adapt steps into class c

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
cac43

mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/12 08:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we just bought a 2009 class C winnabago chalet. my wife has post polio (has only 1 "good" leg & that one is getting weaker) and other health issues so that she has trouble stepping up stairs (or in this case high steps into the rv).
has anyone used something to make a shorter distance between the step heights into an rv. the step that pulls out from the bottom of the rv is fairly low to the ground (8"), but the distance between the next two steps is just too high (10.5"& 11.5") to be comfortable for my arthritic knees and next to impossibe for her to get from one up to the other.
I thought about making a block of wood half the distance from step to step to put on the step so instead of having 2 high steps there would be 4 smaller (5-6") steps.
I thought about making a set of steps to pull up to the outside of door, but that wouldn't work because the door wouldn't close or open with them in place inside the door.
we would prefer not to buy a lift that attaches to the outside of the rv.
any ideas would be appreciated. thanks!

vladen

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/12 11:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might shop for some new steps that better suit your needs

Steps

Vlad's busy workings

All hope is gone

kalynzoo

Los Angeles , California

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/12 11:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am glad you guys are not letting the little things impose on your lifestyle. When my wife had her knee replacements I started looking into a lift system.
http://www.mobility-superstore.com/browse/22780-Burr.html
Not necessarily this one, but it give you an ideal. Depending on your situation, insurance may assist with the cost of modification.
Right now my concern is that my wife may have to start dialysis and I will need to modify things to facilitate future equipment. Guess it is always something.
Happy Trails and enjoy.

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 12:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife has arthritis, hip, we use a step, plastic, that came with the jackusy.
It rides in the dingy, I also installed a hand rail, that folds back, with a hot water pipe jacket sliped on, so that it is not too cold, I also installed a wood hand rail inside to help her grab to pull up.
One step at a time Navegator

cac43

mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/12 09:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks for all the ideas.
I'm working on a set of portable outside steps that aren't so far apart and that will get her into the lower step inside the rv. Now have to figure out how to divide the 11" up from that step to the floor level of the rv.

cal47

Arcadia Fl

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 11:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about building a small ramp that would go from the ground to about 1" from the bottom of the door sill? Never done it but sounds like it might work.

Cal & Donna
Starr (our Lab mix)
2000 FourWinds Chateau 31S
Rickson 17.5 Wheels and Toyo tires
Sani-Con Sewer Solution
Pressure Pro System
1996 Grand Cherokee Toad W/Ready Brake System
Rand McNally RVND 5510
Bigfoot Levelers

JcoFS3500

East Central OK

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 10:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Should be pretty easy to build a filler set of steps to reduce the step height inside by 50% but you will need to make up another 11" outside. I'd try to build a set that that was hinged so you could flip them out once you open the door. The inconvenience is that you can't leave them out with the door closed but it might be doable depending on your lifestyle.

Easiest way might be a ramp hinged on the filler set of steps that can be lowered when you open the door and pulled up when you close it. You can pick a length that makes a comfortable angle for you to walk up and some friction/grip tape would keep you from slipping.

'93 Jayco FS3500 TT behind a '92 Dodge D250 powered by 5.9L Cummins

'94 Vogue Prima Vista powered by 8.3L Cummins w/ 6spd Allison

Halleycomet

New York

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 08:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Completely new here and have not purchased our first RV yet. Have some experience with others RV's. Have lots of experience with being handicapped tho!

A ramp can be a wonderful thing or not so much. If it is shallow enough--and this is a matter of ability and what you need to bridge the height/distance gap-it can be easy peasy for some one with not too great a problem to walk up and down.

However a ramp that is too steep for the person using it to manage---and this does not mean steep to the eye it means steep to the USERS ABILITIES---can be scary and dangerous. I tried a ramp on a Toy Hauler FW yesterday and it was a VERY scary trip. So we too will be needing to mod the steps.

There are steps avail from the Good Sam stores and on line that are placed next to the RV and have a gradual step system AND a handrail. I also used a small folding stepstool to try some RV's.

For me with a leg amputation and a partial foot amputation the ramp is difficult due to having to perch on the heel of the foot. Gives a very SMALL area of contact with the ground. And the feeling of "falling forwards" is scary. Even with a walker and DH holding tight to the front end as a brake I almost toppled over.

So any way a step could be made more gradual for me to step UP---another issue!--and to not have to drag my heavy leg up would be great---The other issue and one reason I am on this Forum now is---if you get a FW or other towable---HOW do you get INTO and OUT of a high truck seat?

i went to a truck dealer today and the guy was completely UNinterested in helping me--"Oh well when you buy the RV THEN come back and maybe we will see if we can find something on the back lot for you". Um---no. Then I heard abt a place that does ADAPTIVE car things---went there and for a MERE $6000 to $12000-- yep THOUSAND you read that right---you can get a very clever system to replace the seat in your car/truck with what is basically a "stair climber" that you sit in, it pivots for you, and it raises or lowers you to street height. I am driving a very nice van that cost less than those figures! For anyone interested this is a BRUNO TAS system. Interesting and looks very useful just---spendy.

Still looking for the answer to the truck/RV step problem it seems!

GeorgeNJ

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 08:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps you can buy a used van lift unit and have it narrowed by a local welding shop, then installed in your MH? Sure beats $6K-$12K. I think this would be the best option, no steps or ramps to worry about. It would be easy for any backyard welder to cut, narrow & weld the unit below to fit your unit.

My link to ebay didn't work, but I found a couple in the philly area for $250 start bid, $450 buy it now. Just search "handicap van lift" on ebay or craigslist for a used unit by you to get an idea of what I'm talking about. I just looked on craigslist and the same guy is selling it for $200 on there.

* This post was edited 02/21/12 08:54am by GeorgeNJ *

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought I would need knee surgery after my first time out in the MH! Took me forever to find a cure for the step down out of the MH.

I tried everything and what I found that works is the simple 2 step stool from any hardware store! It is exactly the right height and lightweight.

Do not pull out the MH steps and place the step stool up against the MH if fits perfectly.

For me repeatingly using the narrow second step was still twisting my knee when I stayed any length of time at a CG. So I found that the common house block is "exactly the same height as the second step"!!

So one plastic step stool and one common house cinder block works perfectly! I also found while in Florida they make a 'lightweight' cinder block that weighs waaay less than the common one which makes it easier to pick up.

I am staying for the winter at friends and here is the set up I use to easy the pain of getting in and out of the MH for long term stays.

In the foreground is the plastic step stool than 2 full size cinder block and than 2 half size cinder blocks for another step down. The cinder block off to the side assists me when standing on the blocks I can stand over to one side to allow the opening of the door.

aahhhh, relief at last!

This simple set up helps my back and knees so much that even at short term stays at CG's......it's worth every penny of $8.00 to go to a Lowes store and buy the blocks. I leave them for the next camper at the site. The campers with jacks especially appreciate my gift!

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> how to adapt steps into class c
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS