|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Fiberglass or stick & tin New camper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Wills250psd

walnutcove NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/12 01:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aluminum and wood =no delamination

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 01:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vermilye wrote:

Well, if you look at my signature, you can tell my choice!

I've got one of those too!

But a molded fiberglass trailer is an entirely different animal than the types that have the laminated sides, which aren't straight fiberglass at all.
The "lamination" widely used on most "stick" frame trailers is actually a glued together sandwich with a luan particle board/plywood layer that is VERY vulnerable to water damage. Even if the glue holding it to the waterproof skin holds, the layers can separate...

That kind of damage is much harder to repair than that on a solid fiberglass structure.

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/12 08:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ata3001 wrote:

Just went to an RV show. Looks to me like aluminum siding is making somewhat of a come back. I think there were more aluminum sided TT's there than laminated ones this year. I wonder if the trend is reversing & if so, could it be due to the delaminating issues we see so often. Just look at the used section at an RV dealer to see what I mean. Lots of used "issues" for sale.

That could just be a price issue, as glass sided TT's tend to be more expensive and have higher line items. Hard to find a tin TT that is top of the line. Usually tin ones are their price leaders and if you move up to glass their are more/better upgrades. Not too many tins with high end stuff in them. I, because of logistics drive by several RV dealers and have noticed new lines of TT with glass. So I don't see it as a reversal of trends at all. I see it as a customer based decision to show lower price TT's in a sluggish economy. Hard to roll out $30,000 TT's and not have anything for the rest of the TT buyers out there.
With all that being said, the tin may be better for your purposes. It's a lot easier to replace a dented or badly scratched tin panel than to replace a badly scratched glass side. As far as delame goes I don't see it as a problem as long as the manf builds it right. Go to most RV dealers and 90% of their stuff is glass. Look at high end TT/5th wheels they are glass. Not saying you won't have trouble, but I see more without delam than I see with. Certain manf had problems several years ago and gave the rest a bad name. I think one was Keystone, but not positive.

* This post was edited 02/13/12 08:58am by goducks10 *

wbwood

Lake Norman, NC area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 02:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We chose the fiberglass due to asthetics. It did cost more and is heavier than the tin. We are glad we chose the fiberglass. We have not seen any fiberglass TT's with problems, but have seen a lot of tin ones patched up. Mainly probably because they are older. It's just a preference thing. They both have possible issues.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
ACME Tow Dolly
2007 Toyota Yaris (Toad)

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 01:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"TIN"?

Never buy a trailer sided with tin!!!!!!! Tin RUSTS!!!!!!

Aluminum is superior in every way...that's why Airstream uses it!

rfryer

Phoenix

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 05:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve been remote camping in a 16’ “tin” TT for 22 years and I prefer it to “glass”. I like the looks of the fiberglass and it has the advantage of surviving hail better than the aluminum. But it’s a little heavier and more expensive and more important to me, more expensive to repair damage. Also in my area they tend to develop an unpleasant yellow cast from the sun that I don’t like. And I hear too many complaints of delamination. I’d probably be satisfied with either, but given a choice I prefer the aluminum.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just got a new shiny fiberglass unit -- I did not have a choice, given the specifications I needed. (If you are interested in the story, click on my "trailer" link in my signature.) But if I had my choice of two identical units, one shiny and one aluminum, I would take the aluminum, only because I often boondock on narrow dirt roads lined with bushes full of sharp twigs. I am sure that my new fiberglass trailer will look terrible very soon. On my old aluminum box, you could hardly see the scratches!

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 09:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might think about the LivinLite VRV. A toy hauler that's all aluminum (frame, floor, walls, roof, cabinets, the works). Nothing to rot, no worries about water damage. Wash it out with a garden hose if desired. They are now offering Azdel interior trim for a wood look without wood. These units look pretty tough and durable.

Mike G.
2008 Toyota Highlander, 2010 Aliner Ranger 12

former owner of Starcraft popup, 23' Rockwood TT, 17' Burro TT, 16' KZ TT

Duke-44

Wyoming Rockies

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 12:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I went to get RV insurance w/State Farm for my new FW, the agent first quoted a price for an alum sided RV. When I told him it was fiberglass, the actual quote was several hundred $$$ less.
He said the big reason was because of hail damage. The summer of 2011 there was a bad hail storm. There were many RV damage claims in this area. My FW had no damage.

Snowman9000

IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 07:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

I just got a new shiny fiberglass unit -- I did not have a choice, given the specifications I needed. (If you are interested in the story, click on my "trailer" link in my signature.) But if I had my choice of two identical units, one shiny and one aluminum, I would take the aluminum, only because I often boondock on narrow dirt roads lined with bushes full of sharp twigs. I am sure that my new fiberglass trailer will look terrible very soon. On my old aluminum box, you could hardly see the scratches!

I like your site and your approach!

2014 Sunseeker 2300 Class C (Chevy 4500)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Fiberglass or stick & tin New camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS