RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What do you use to brush your dog.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> What do you use to brush your dog.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 03:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Furminator works well on our smooth coated Border Collies but not so much on our rough coated Border Collies; for them we use an undercoat rake and dematting rake as needed.

Mark

Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Gyp (retired), Peg, Bette, BJ, Nell, Tally, Eve, Grant, & Lee
Sam the Maremma Sheepdog (at home guarding our flock)
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 03:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

corgi-traveler wrote:

Furminator is designed to remove loose, dead hair. It is NOT designed as an everyday brush. It will be very uncomfortable for the animal and will pull out hair that isn't dead yet!

For routine brushing on a coat like a Sheltie's, you can't go wrong with a cushion pin brush. At shedding time, a metal comb called a Greyhound comb can be very helpful, and then follow up with the Furminator.

Ditto.

Most pet owners love the Furminator. Most groomers or show people? Not so much. They say it tears the coat. Most pet owners don't care about that, they just want to control shedding.

In addition to the above, I ditto the suggestion of a Mars Coat King and an undercoat rake.

Me and the DH
Two boys and two dogs (and two cats who prefer to stay home)
2008 Forest River Georgetown 350DS (bunkhouse model)
2001 Honda CR-V

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any tool not used properly can cause unintended consequences. You can cut with the Mars Coat King if not used properly; it has sharp cutting edges.

Javanut

Findlay, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 11:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you do decide on the Furminator be gentle with it. We were trying to control Anna's out of control thick hair with it and actually dug holes in the coat down to the skin. Poor dog. Lori

Javanut@tds.net
Lori Branson
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member
Dandy Dan's ball & chain --
Sarah's and Anna's Mom
GO STEELERS --

resmas

temporarily displaced Alaskan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/12 07:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can actually cut the dog's skin with a Furminator if it isn't used properly, which is another mark against them. The "blade" is actually identical to a top blade from a clipper set, so it is quite sharp. Push too hard with it, and you will leave rake marks on the skin. Ouch!

2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

nina_70

On wheels, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/12 08:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use simple cushion pin brush on our doggie. I don't like the blade of the Furminator and find the pin brush does its job well enough.

12 paws, 40-feet and the open road
http://wheelingit.us

Code2High

One hour past Nowhere, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 12:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shedzilla (like the Coat King, I believe, but cheaper and available at Wallyworld) has sharp blades but those don't contact the skin. I've used it to good effect on a long haired dog (chow) and my long haired cats. But first I do the undercoat rake.

Furminator can really scrape up the skin and you're not supposed to go back over it. It also isn't actually that good for high volume shedding. I have one and will use it only after I've got the bulk out with the shedzilla or the undercoat rake. If I get to where those aren't pulling out a lot of hair and have more time to spend, then I'd go to the furminator. I rarely get to that point, however and almost never with more time to spare.

susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

Code2High

One hour past Nowhere, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 11:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never done that, but I do use a rubber curry in the tub on Hal, and it gets out a ton of hair....but no matter how much comes out, more seems ready to go when she's dry, so then I brush again.

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 09:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azpops, by the time you buy the vacuum and then the brush you have almost $600 USD in to the unit.

corgi-traveler

Bakersfield, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 10:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pawz4me wrote:

Most pet owners love the Furminator. Most groomers or show people? Not so much. They say it tears the coat. Most pet owners don't care about that, they just want to control shedding.

In addition to the above, I ditto the suggestion of a Mars Coat King and an undercoat rake.

A technique that a lot of friends that show in conformation use with medium to long coated dogs (corgis, GSD's, shelties, even (gasp) border collies) is to remove the dead hair during bath time. After the final rinse, one person brushes down the wet coat with a slicker brush. The helper has the spray nozzle from the bath, spraying against the grain where the slicker brush is working). Yes, it's going to pull out some hair, but like you said, pet owners don't mind, and even with show dogs, if they are dropping their coat, they are out of commission in the show ring for a while (most of the time, there are dogs that can show up without their coat and still look OK)

Samantha (the poster)
Tim, spouse and driver of the Corgi-Bus
Buddy, Diva, and Pippin - Pembroke Welsh Corgis

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> What do you use to brush your dog.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts