|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Planning NE to CA through Reno

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jsthiel

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 04:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hunkering down in Lovelock, we'll check weather tomorrow, Reno looks nasty... Hope it is clear tomorrow!

louiskathy

Oregon (presently)

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 04:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Us out West and NorCal Dan for your posts. The travelers are snugged into a hotel east of Reno for the night. They got in early afternoonish before any snow fell in the motel parking lot where they are staying.

Going into Reno tonight is not in the plans at all. It's a snow mix mess.

Tomorrow looks very possible for them to get through Reno (around 10am) and then up and over the pass before 1pm and hopefully, north of Novato on hwy 101. If they get to Novato by 4pm I have a feeling they will keep on going to their destination. And it's all very possible. The winds are going to pick up in the Reno area by mid-afternoon with high winds (60 to 70 mph) so they sure hope to be on the west side of the pass before the winds pick up.

They have not had good internet connections for a few days. I'm sure that when she has a chance, they will post a big thank you and give an update on their trip. I will encourage her to tell of the reason for this trip, too.

They are safe for the night and should get a good nights sleep for the push over the hill tomorrow. Prayers have been and are appreciated.
(and while I was typing this post... she posted just ahead of me!)

Kathy

NorCal Dan

Ocean Park, WA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 08:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a snip from an email NOAA sent to local weather watchers today:

NOAA wrote:

KEY INFORMATION:

A fairly strong weather system will be moving through Northern California Tuesday and Wednesday. Most significant will be the potentially high amounts of snowfall in the mountains and the chance for snow accumulations well down into the foothills. The strongest period of the storm is expected between late Tuesday night and midday on Wednesday.

SYNOPSIS:

The storm will begin with windy conditions developing on Tuesday then precipitation moving into the area by Tuesday afternoon, moving from north to south. Most locations in the Central Valley will have winds 15-30 mph sustained with gusts to 40 mph and will receive between 0.25 and 0.50 inches of rain. Some locations may have sustained winds to 35 mph with gusts to 45 mph and precipitation up to 0.75 inches.

In the mountains, winds are expected to be 25-45 mph sustained with gusts along the ridges up to 75 mph. Snow accumulations will be three feet or more at the highest elevations, with up to three feet at the trans-Sierra pass levels and a foot or more at the 5000 foot level. Four to eight inches of snow is expected between 2000 and 5000 feet with lesser amounts down to 1500 feet and flurries possible down to 1000 feet. These snowfall totals are highly dependent upon if the snow falls as fluffy or wet snow. If the snow is very wet then the amounts will be less but the snow will be dense.

Snow showers should linger in the mountains through Wednesday and possibly into early Thursday.

Travel over the Sierra's doesn't look favorable for the next few days.

'13 Ram 2500Hemi pulling '12 Coachman Chaparral -- USAF Retired --

Litch

Truckee, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in Truckee which is on the East side of Donner Summit and there are no chains required right now on I-80. The roads are wet but clear and now is the time to make a run for it. Heavy snow forecast for tonight through Thursday which is going to be a mess. Go now.

2006 Chevy HD LBZ Duramax/Allison
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 30sks

jsthiel

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay, it is 6:10 am Pacific time and now the roads say clear wb i80 to Truckie, we're hauling a lot of weight... Anyone drive this route this morning? I see that Reno has icy road advisory, I figured we could take it slow.... Thoughts? We want to avoid chain-ups, I figure if it requires chains it is too treacherous for our haul so we'll stay off the road.

NorCal Dan

Ocean Park, WA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 10:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here in Marysville the wind is starting to pick up, skies are clear and sunny. The winds are expected to be on the increase today. Safe travels.

louiskathy

Oregon (presently)

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 12:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

She tweeted to facebook about 30 minutes ago... they are in "Reno purchasing chains" at Les Schwab and will start up the hill soon. I'm going to park on
the I-80/I-89 Live video web cam and wave to them when they go by. It would be a hoot to grab a print-screen to send to them later.

It's exciting to see that they've come this far safely and it will be so good when they get down on the California side of the pass.
Lots of weather still between Novato and Ukiah.
I just saw winter storm advisories posted all along their route. Snow expected down to 1500/1000 feet in Ukiah tonight. They are going to be SO GLAD to see a 70 degree day... it's coming but not yet.

btw... another tweet just now..."just leaving Reno".

Us out West

Let's see...last night we stayed in......

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 02:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well if they left @11:00am they should be across and missed the incoming weather.

Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)

36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

louiskathy

Oregon (presently)

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Us out West wrote:

Well if they left @11:00am they should be across and missed the incoming weather.

Yes, they were on the way down when she called me about an hour ago, maybe a little bit longer. They had pulled over to let the brakes cool down. Even though he's in the low gear, he still had to brake quite a bit. I'm sure they are past the storm danger at this point. And that's a good good thing.

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WB 80 and hot brakes? FYI, they will cool faster driving. Glad they made it.

2008 Dodge 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Planning NE to CA through Reno
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS