|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Need help finding a full time RV

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
The Mad Norsky

Yankton, South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 01:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Say, just an update from me.

Saw on another post that the name of the new KZ unit that replaced the Escalade; its now called the StoneRidge model.

The Escalades were very highly regarded by owners posting here on the forum. If the StoneRidge is about the same, it will be a very good unit indeed.

The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan, Korey & Rocky
2011 Ford F350 Power Stroke dually
2008 SnowRiver 10-8 D/S Torklift, FastGuns, StableLoads
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

kakampers

Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blenhardt wrote:

A new Fifth Wheel that is advertised for full time is the Redwood. It has been getting some good reviews. You might take a look. Talk to Tom Montague at Redwood.

Funny thing is, they advertise as fulltime yet their written warranty excludes anything more than " recreational or family camping"....what's up with that???

2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

Yukoners

Whitehorse

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 06:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://www.primetimerv.com/default.asp?p........=products&model=sanibel&choice=standards

This was posted here a short while ago and while they say nothing about full timing I see a lot of things I like.
Such as the quiet air conditioner....

2006 GMC 3500 4x4 Duramax/Allison SRW LB CC Helwig Sway Bars, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone airbags, Airraid CAI, Lightforce driving lights.
2012 Arctic Fox 990 Torklift tie downs, Fast guns, Foxlanding, 2500 Onan gennie

Shepardsonp

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 08:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Newmar is now 6 years old and I couldn't be happier.

You might consider upgrading the axels and wheels to the next size bigger if you order one.

I did and that was the best thing I ever did !!

rmalik1

Pittsburgh,Pa.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 11:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will hear about every 5'ver under the sun! People tend to push the brand they own. Some people will give you a list with mostly higher priced units(with some higher end stuff built in) . And finally some of the the mid level units will be listed(were lots of people also FT in).

Here is the truth "as I see it"; people fulltime in all types of RV's from small campers to diesel pushers every one of them has it pluses's and minuses's. They will devalue.

Read the forums, find out what the important things that most people talk about - mostly in the construction of the unit. Go and look at all the ones you consider even the ones you know you can't afford(we looked for at least 5 years and travel many miles). Do a cost analysis and thats were you will end up. Where the money you are willing to spend meets the quaility of that choice.

2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

texanrvr

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 06:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We recently upgraded from our Heartland Bighorn to a 2011 Heartland Landmark and wonder now why we put it off. Both units are warranted as full time trailers, but the Landmark simply blows all the others away!

Jay-Driver
Stella-Director of Operations and Navigator
Cassie-Schnauzer
'11 Heartland Landmark
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW
SLT

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 07:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The way you phrased the question begs people to list the most expensive units. Tell us a little about what you plan to do. Cold could be a few frosty nights down south or winter in alaska. For a few frosty nights, the 4 season packages are probably overkill and make for a rig that is too heavy. Dual pane windows nice as single panes will sweat in cold weather.

Will you boondock, state/national park or private park most of the time. If you will be staying in private parks with full hookups, big tanks aren't important. If you will be boondocking for weeks at a time, they are critical.

How much will you be moving around? If you are staying places for months at a time, the biggest rig you can afford is great. If you will be moving regualry, the smallest rig you can be comfortable in is better. This also plays into what kind of truck do you want? I really big rig will require a 1 ton dually or larger. A smaller rig you have the option of smaller trucks.

Horses for courses is the saying.

Tammy Mike & the Bilge Rat (AKA: Diego)
Ford F250 7.3L
1997 Sunnybrook 27' 5er
1995 Gemini Sail Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

thecampingman

Wilmington, OH, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The rigs built to handle cooler climates like Mobile Suites have smaller windows. My fair weather rig has probably twice the square footage of windows as a Mobile Suites. It's fine for me. I follow the sun.

There are rigs out there for every concievable purpose. And probably some you'd never think of. Like do you need roof access to watch NASCAR races?

Instead of looking at what's available you need to look at yourself.

For instance most full timers winter down south and don't have much need for super insulation. Dry camping gets old pretty quick, so the size of the holding tanks, alternative power etc. gets to be a non issue.
If you're considering a 5er you're probably not one of those live-my-life-on-the-highway kind of people. After the first year or two of traveling around you'll find favorite destinations and park there for longer intervals.

That's the way it was for me anyway.

Creature comforts start taking priority. For instance the appliances in campers are inferior to residential appliances. I've replaced the TV, stereo receiver, and dumped the 4door Norcold for a Samsung 120v refrigerator.
We're going to pull out the carpet and replace it with a smooth floor.

Most campers have "face frame" cabinetry which wastes a lot of storage space. Mine doesn't even have full extension drawer glides which is really aggrivating. (I need to change those too)

A washer/dryer & thermopane windows are a must-have. A fully ducted A/C would be a big improvement over one that pulls return air directly from the living space. If you have ducted return air it's much quieter.

Just stuff that's happened for me, but it's probably pretty typical.

'03 GMC 4500 Topkick with Duramax/Allison
'04 36' McKenzie Medallion triple slide
Cabover kayak racks w/18' touring kayaks.
Bicycle carrier on the front with a street bike & a mountain bike
Snowbird W/Ohio camper dock

TomMichelle

wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 08:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And their lies the problem... We don't know were we'll go.. Tom works from the road and we go wherever that takes us.. Like right now we are in Issaquah Wa.. The state flower here is mold.

We have a 2001 Chevy silverado 3500 diesel, 4X4 - with crew cab. So our rig needs to be under 16000lbs

BTW thank you all so much for your input. It really has helped us narrow it down some

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 4x4 Duramax Diesel
Tom n Michelle

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 09:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We don't fulltime. We do extended trips which pretty much have the same requirements. In our search if it had a drop under an 80 gal fresh water capacity, it got dropped from the list. A large galley with an 'L' shape or island counter was also a must. No side galleys with little work areas. We like SPs & COEs so LOA had to be under 36' or it got dropped from the list. A side by side or 4 door fridge was high on the want list. We did not want to be running off to a market every couple of days because of a 9 cu ft fridge.

Once a few non negotiable parameters are laid down the list of possibilities get narrowed down pretty quick.

Buying the 'right trailer' first time is important too. You won't be happy with a compromise no matter how good a deal you got on it. In a year or so you will be back looking again & that will cost more in the long run.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Need help finding a full time RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing