|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Cheap Remodel for Flat Screen TV

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
deandec

Northern CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 06:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Country Coach has a fiberglass/plywood TV pod covered by Ultra Leather that would be difficult to remove or modify.

So, I chose to leave it as is, and install two 2x4 braces painted black and then mount the extending flat screen mount to the upright 2x4.

The frame around the opening and the ultra leather dictated that I find a way to cover the hole and reuse the original walnut frame to complete the mount.

So I used a 3/4" panel from a previous project, painted it flat black, and fastened it to the original walnut frame leaving a hole for the swivel mount to pass thru.

I used a piano hinge to allow the bottom 5" of the black panel to swing open. I can then slide my home DVR into the space behind the panel, attach the antenna leads, and plug it into the electric strip.

Because I had little room on the driver wall I was restricted to upgrading from a 20" CRT to a 26' Vizio LED.

When mounted, the Vizio is held tightly by the four Velcro strips for travel security. It travels well with that restraint.

The 26" TV resides on my desk during non-travel days as a large monitor for my laptop. The DVR is our main recording receiver for Direct TV at home.

The 2x4's, the black paint, the 3/4" panel and the fastening brackets and aluminum brace were all found in my home scrap pile, but would not cost much to acquire if needed.

I did pay @ $25 for the swivel mount and $8 for the piano hinge.

With the above combo of costs and a flat panel picture, DW is happy.

Maybe there is some idea value in these pictures for those wanting to convert to a flat panel TV.

Edit: Pictures with the TV mounted are in a later post.

* This post was edited 02/20/12 09:58pm by deandec *

Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

Boonedocks

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice job! As your TV box is over there in the corner above the driver's seat, it doesn't add much to the "head banger" to add the TV screen out the front of it.

2003 Country Coach Intrigue towing 2006 Ford Focus. Follow our full timing adventures at The BooneDocks

jolooote

Miami, FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 08:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ahhh...where's the TV?

Joe & Charlotte, 2015 Thor Vegas 24.1 Ford E-350 305hp V10 5speed, Jeep Wrangler & Honda Element 'TOADS'

Rusty, Rosie Dogs
Leroy's a Conure
"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!"

sc3283

St Louis

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 12:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is mine converted..before...during...after
In the after shot, stereo speakers and sub woofer play through the lower panel beneath the TV. The center of the panel is black speaker cabinet cloth.Speaker volume is controlled totally by the TV. No additional amps or controls are needed to adjust volume

04 D-Max Crew Dually

96 Monaco Dynasty 36'

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 01:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats nice setup, like how you used the black plywood to hide things. Gotta love the Monoprice mounts too, best price and solid as rock.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

ryanallie1

Magalia, Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 08:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All.

Yours sort of looks exactely like ours. But just a bit different in the location on the over-head. But the Covering and everything else, even the inside looks identicial to ours. What I did, was I installed an "Artictulating Arm Mount". I added two layers of 1 inch wood, glued and screwed to the back board, to mount the Artictulating Arm Mount to. I only went with a 26 in LED TV. As I also didn't want to do a huge make-over project out of it. Even though I do have the skill level and all the tools needed. Since the 26 in LED TV didn't cover the last 4 inchs or so, I installed our DVD/VCR Player form our house, and installed in underneath the 26 in LED TV. By doing it this way, it doesn't look bad at all, plus I gained the side cabinet next to it, where the old Switch Box, for TV 1 and TV2, and an old OEM DVD Player and an old OEM VCR Player were stored in the right hand side Cabinet. It almost looks as if it was made that way now. I even put back the original screws, so that there wouldn't be any holes in the material, that ssort of looks like real Leather. And I also put the Screw Caps back on, so it all still looks all original. The 26 in TV does stick out a liitle bit on each side of the two other side cabinets. But I installed a Haevy Duty Spring to hold the TV against the opening. So if I want to getinto either Side Cabinet, all I have to do is move the TV right or left and have complete accesss to both Side Cabinets. Its nice to pick up another Cabinst to use now for other things, where all of the old OEM Stuff use to be. More room for DVD Movies and what ever. Nice Job. Good Luck. Happy Travels. dan & Jill

1998-33.5 Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

restorodder

Pinckney Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 09:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would like to see what it looks like with the new flat screen mounted. The problem with these older cabinets,is they are a different shape than the new TV's. The mod sometimes looks strange,with a rectangular TV mounted in,or over a,square opening.

2008 Newmar Canyon Star - 2007 Dodge Dakota Toad - Ready Brute tow bar & brake system - one cat - Sassy 14

deandec

Northern CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

restorodder wrote:

I would like to see what it looks like with the new flat screen mounted. The problem with these older cabinets,is they are a different shape than the new TV's. The mod sometimes looks strange,with a rectangular TV mounted in,or over a,square opening.

This is a good point. I will post a picture of the TV mounted late on Monday.

The 26" TV, as I mounted it, leaves about 3" of the square hole exposed at the top of the pod.

I considered filling that visual space with a new piece of Walnut wood. But I decided instead that the black panel would continue the visual theme of the other two black panels already mounted in the front overhead and surrounded by the white ultra leather.

Also, I could have had a commercial shop redo the entire front overhead panel and cut out the Pod altogether. I really did not want to spend that @ $2,000 in modifications on the old girl.

The 26" TV extends to the right and left of the pod by abut 2" on each side. After several months of traveling with the TV in that position it does not seem to create a head knocker problem.

Our rig is a non-slide, over the driver's head TV situation. The articulated mount as mounted provides the main picture in a lower attitude and, when extended, moves the picture more to the center of the aisle to reduce neck cramps when viewing from the driver side sofa.

WadenCeeJay

Spring, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Funny. I did something similar in our old rig. I simply cut a 1/2" piece of plywood to fit inside
the hole that was left by the CRT. Notched the bottom to fit the DVD player (we are weekenders)
and I mounted a simple tilt mount for a 22" LCD computer monitor that I had extra and
lying around. The DVD unit is one of those surround sound modules so I put the sub under the
couch and only did the front three channels. More than enough sound. With sound that big you
don't even realize the screen is only 22". Heh.

deandec

Northern CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 10:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are pictures of the TV mounted as requested:

The TV travels strapped to the pod frame using velcro strips at each of the four corners.

We can extend the TV into the aisle to achieve a better viewing angle from the driver side sofa.

Since modifying the Pod was too expensive for my taste, we elected to have the TV extend beyond the dimensions of the Pod to get the flat screen and wider display benefits of the 26" Vizio. The speakers on this TV are mounted at the bottom front of the TV so sound carries nicely.

Also, the space behind the TV allowed us to carry the DVR for which we had no space wide enough prior to removing the CRT. It is controlled by a RF remote.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Cheap Remodel for Flat Screen TV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS