|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Watching NASCAR die

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NASCAR has succeeded in following the strategy of parity among cars, but at the expense of excitement. Parity is the wrong strategy. On top of that, they have sterilized the sport with fines and suspensions for anyone who "races too hard" or says the "wrong" things. Spin a guy out who is blocking traffic and you are penalized. Complain about the rules and you are penalized. They have turned the sport into a 4 hour parade, followed by 15min of chaos at the end of the race.

The results show in the stands, with empty seats becoming more common at nearly every track.

Paul & Sandra
New Bedford, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

Doug4.7

Hartselle, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 10:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it still making money? If so, it is not dead.

No, I don't watch it, follow it, or have been to a race in the past decade.

Dave E

Mid Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 10:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I slowly stopped watching o TV back when they introduced the Taurus as a 2 door car when it was a four door front wheel drive car, into the races. in the past the manufacturers had to produce at least 500 cars of the model they were going to race and when they did away with that I became less interested since it no longer involves real looking cars even if it was just a shell, along with the parity in racing made it boring and I just don't care any more. Others are right it is all about the money and they won't get mine. I was in Daytona when Dale E was killed and that was the last time I have been to a race (not a
dale fan even when he drove fords)just don't care for the way the racing is now. BORING

Besides I can get more excitement reading these posts than watching the race

If at first you don't succeed--don't try sky diving!!
I'd rather be camping

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 11:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did a lot of dirt track racing (Sprint Cars). The photo is of me at Manzinita Spedway executing a succesful slide job on Dick Sutcliffe. I raced "real racecars" (back in the day). I never was attracted to old-style stock car racing. I became a fan of NASCAR when they started racing cars that were designed/built more like MY version of a USA full-bodied racecar. Now, I'm a big NASCAR fan. YOU can call them stock cars if you want, but that's NOT what they are (haven't been for decades).

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 11:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NASCAR is the WWE of racing. It wad cool when it was STOCK car racing. The current clone-car spec racing is agressively boring.

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with 3 nutty cats
My beloved St. Bernard, Marm, lost him 1/2/12
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Deb and Ed M

SW MI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 01:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think NASCAR is dying - but it's definitely limping....LOL!!

We just got back from Daytona (had hoped to watch some practice, but our timing was off). Judging by all the big rigs setting up (peripheral stuff like satellite and phone service trucks, merchandise trucks, etc) - there's a LOT of "believers" out there. And I have to admit: I don't even particularly LIKE Kyle Bush - but he sure put on the show last Saturday and IMO deserved the win. Maybe he can add some excitement that many other drivers lack??

And we left Daytona to drive to Talladega - Ed had signed up to drive 20 laps with the Dale Jarrett Driving School - there were at least 25 other guys who had paid good money to drive 6 or more laps in retired NASCAR cars, and that was just for one of MANY days offered. There's LOTS of NASCAR lovers out there, yet!

Ed climbing out of his car after doing 174.55 mph at the fastest!

rockportrocket

on hyway 77

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 02:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Publics problem with NASCAR..............no competetion
Nascars problem with Public..............cookie cutter tracks.

To solve both problems.............go to 3/4 and 1/2 mile tracks.

EMPIRE LI

Long Island NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 03:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a long time NASCAR fan the sport has changed much over the years. IMHO opinion the most change we have seen to our sport has come about due the death of Dale Earnhart this had to happen. The change to the car of today has made for much needed safety improvements but at a trade off to follow the leader type racing. Am I happy with its current direction? No will I continue to follow this sport yes. Although not a shrub fan the man can drive a car what a great finnish Saturday night. In defense of NASCAR my ticket cost has remained the same while we have had to cut back on the number of races we attend due to increased fuel/toll cost. I hope every year NASCAR will find a way to put on a more competitive package. Go Dale Jr!

2004 Chevy Tahoe lt 2009 29bhs Coachman
Reese wd
Honda 3000

NorthernLimits

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 04:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

There is nothing "stock" about those cars, they are custom built from the ground up, and they are pretty much the same except for the decals!

Exactly. They all look the same, drive the same, sound the same. Why even put a car maker's logo on it? Doesn't look anything like a car made by the manufacturer. Nothing on it can be had from a production car. Heck, they are JUST switching to fuel injection for God's sake. And it's not even OEM fuel injection. Most will be based off the Holley Pro-Jection stuff.

Going down the the local track and watching the 4 cylinder class run is far more entertaining than watching nascar and has been for a long time.

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 04:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NorthernLimits wrote:

They should go back to racing REAL production cars.

Would 200,000 people go to the Daytona 500 to watch 43 pace cars do 200 laps ? What racing series in the US is doing better than NASCAR ?

2002 Chevy Express LS 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van 3.73 posi (GT4/G80)
2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR 41ft TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Watching NASCAR die
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS