|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Hitch Recommendations Please

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
StaceyE

Chicagoland

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 06:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We sold our camper and let the hitch go with it (old reese dual cam hitch). Complaints with the reese were that it required muscle to hook and unhook - fine for DH but I would like to learn to pull this trailer and be able to set everything up myself, I already help with the driving and do just about everything but hook and unhook. Also, DH felt like he needed to take off the bars to drive through the campground in order to made any tight corners and back into our spot easily - would be nice to not have to do that.

Towing has not been an issue since we upgraded our truck to a Chevy quad cab, diesel dually, so we're not worried about the truck handling the new trailer. What we bought is a Sunset trail that is 34' long and 6300 lbs with a tongue weight of 790 lbs. We would like a WD hitch with sway system that keeps the trailer safe and is easy to hook/unhook.

Any suggestions? (And I would love the Hensley Arrow, but it's so far out of the budget that it isn't an option - no matter how great they are). Thank you!

Tom and Stacey
DD Nikki (14) and Kate (9)
Wrigley, our big black dog

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 06:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1000 pound Equalizer or 1200 pound Reese. No need to remove the bars in the campground other than noise. My 3 year old could snap up the bars on my Reese dual cam if I let him. The trick is put the tongue on the ball, then raise the tongue jack. It is easier with a power tongue jack. . Then snap the WD bars and raise the jack.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2012 VW Passat TDI

Kanyonkitty

Gerrardstown, WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 06:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StaceyE wrote:

Complaints with the reese were that it required muscle to hook and unhook - fine for DH but I would like to learn to pull this trailer and be able to set everything up myself, I already help with the driving and do just about everything but hook and unhook. Also, DH felt like he needed to take off the bars to drive through the campground in order to made any tight corners and back into our spot easily - would be nice to not have to do that.

We would like a WD hitch with sway system that keeps the trailer safe and is easy to hook/unhook.

The Reese dual cam is extremely easy to hitch/un-hitch, when you use the tongue jack. After putting the coupler on the ball, use the tongue jack to raise both the tongue and the back of your TV. You can then snap up the WD bars by hand, with ease. As far as tight maneuvers while the bars are on.. These hitch setups are made for turning! There is no reason to take the bars off, unless it just gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling inside. We used to have a camera mounted above the hitch and I could watch the dual cam system in action. It was interesting to see how it works, when you are driving/turning/backing. Just had to be in the passenger seat, while watching the show...

If your DH has any questions, please tell him he can PM me..

Deep wedgewood blue '99 7.3L PSD F-350 Super Duty crew cab long bed dually or wedgewood blue '97 F-350 7.3L PSD crew cab longbed SRW, Member: Sunlineclub.com Rescue a retired Greyhound, greyt calm low maintenance traveling companions

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

APT wrote:

1000 pound Equalizer or 1200 pound Reese. No need to remove the bars in the campground other than noise. My 3 year old could snap up the bars on my Reese dual cam if I let him. The trick is put the tongue on the ball, then raise the tongue jack. It is easier with a power tongue jack. . Then snap the WD bars and raise the jack.

X2, if you're having to "muscle" up the WD, you're doing it the hard way. When you put the tongue on the ball, don't drop the jack down much. Same when you unhitch, raise the jack quite a bit and it takes very little effort to get the WD bars off.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

eric james

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like he was doing it the hard way for six years.

A power tongue jack makes a world of difference.

I think the Equal-i-zer 4 point is the easiest hitch to use.

(I have a Dual Cam myself)

2009 Keystone Passport UL 290BH
2003 Ford Expedition EB 5.4L/3.73

StaceyE

Chicagoland

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 07:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know if this makes a difference or not, but our other trailer was 20 years old and the hitch came with it. Not sure on the hitch age, but was at least 10 years old. It might be that my DH was doing it the hard way, or it might be that the hitch was old and worked differently? Not sure. Anyway, we want to get something new, safe, economical and easy to use. Have to chuckle a bit if he was doing it the hard way for six years!

Thanks, Stacey

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 01:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only time I remove the bars is when I unhitch.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two bikes (both Electric Schwinn's with motor assist)

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 10:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Install an electric tongue jack and take all the need for using muscle out of the equation. If it's difficult to latch just jack up the rear of the attached vehicle a little higher. ANY weight distributing system that you can latch up EASILY is not transferring enough weight to make it worth using.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StaceyE wrote:

Don't know if this makes a difference or not, but our other trailer was 20 years old and the hitch came with it. Not sure on the hitch age, but was at least 10 years old. It might be that my DH was doing it the hard way, or it might be that the hitch was old and worked differently? Not sure. Anyway, we want to get something new, safe, economical and easy to use. Have to chuckle a bit if he was doing it the hard way for six years!

Thanks, Stacey

He's been doing it the hard way for six years.

Reese Dual Cam is the same basic design today as day 1. Hitching technique is the same, and is the same as any conventional trunnion or round bar WD hitch.

2002 Chevy 3500 DRW/8.1/Allison & 2000 Palomino B1500 popup TC

-Yes, I haul a popup with a dually. No, I don't think I need a dually to haul a popup.

StaceyE

Chicagoland

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jack it up before removing the bars, got it.

Now, which hitch do you recommend for our truck/trailer size combo that is easy to use and pulls well. Favorite brand, style, etc.?

Thanks!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Hitch Recommendations Please
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS