RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Starcraft Launch is mine!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Starcraft Launch is mine!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Sewcrates

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 02:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a Starcraft Launch 18BH at the RV show yesterday.

I had all but decided on the Jayco Swift SLX 18BH, even talked to the salesman at the show but we decided to take a look at the rest of the show before signing. Glad we did because the last dealer we looked at had the Starcraft. It is the same floor plan but a few upgrades vs. the Jayco. Taller ceilings at 78" (I am 6'2" so my head hit the ceiling of the Jayco), 3500# axles with 14" tires, fiberglass exterior, larger fridge, overall nicer interior. After all my research on the Jayco, as soon as we saw the Starcraft, we knew it was the one for us.

I searched the forums and couldn't find anything on this trailer. It is new for 2012. Anyone else got one yet? We will be waiting 6 weeks for one from the factory since the dealer sold all on their lot before we got to the show.

I will be towing with a 2007 Honda Ridgeline (5000# tow rating). TT weighed 2800 at the show (2605 dry), GVWR 3500#. I will be getting an Equal-i-zer 600/6000 and Prodigy 2 from RVW.

Kcountry

Calgary

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/12 10:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought the Launch 17FB. TV is 2006 Silverado 5.3 l V8 and we are disappointed in the towing ability. We thought this lite weight trailer would pull better. In hindsight we think this trailer is too tall and too high profile in the front to tow well. Wondering how others find the Launch tows?

Padlin

W. Ma.

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 05:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kcountry wrote:

We bought the Launch 17FB. TV is 2006 Silverado 5.3 l V8 and we are disappointed in the towing ability. We thought this lite weight trailer would pull better. In hindsight we think this trailer is too tall and too high profile in the front to tow well. Wondering how others find the Launch tows?

It's not just the Launch, it's all full size box stlye trailers. Take it with a grain of salt when someone tells you they can't even tell the trailer is there.

Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
06 Starcraft 18SB

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 09:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Indeed, wind resistance has more to do with it than a weight savings of a thousand pounds or so. For a trailer that tows more easily, one must go to something with a low profile (think pop-up) or at least a bit lower with rounded corners (like Boler, Scamp, Airstream, etc). I went from a low, rounded 17' Burro to a boxy 16' KZ Escape, and lost 2 mpg (US). The KZ weighs about 300-400 lbs more, but the wind resistance is the real story.

Mike & Sherry
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
2008 Toyota Highlander
2011 KZ Spree Escape E14RB

LTCLarry

Maggie Valley, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/12 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Padlin wrote:

Kcountry wrote:

It's not just the Launch, it's all full size box stlye trailers. Take it with a grain of salt when someone tells you they can't even tell the trailer is there.
More than a grain of salt...it is a statement without fact...my TV is a 08 Silverado 2500 HD - my aerolite never weighs more than 5600lbs loaded and ready for camping, but I know it's there. It's not a problem but I know I am towing something....

afob3

Maryville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/12 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a nice floor plan in a small package. Now get out there and enjoy it!

2012 Koala 25DS
2011 F150 Ecoboost SuperCrew with Max Tow Package

www.familyobrien.net

kidscamp2

idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/12 07:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're on our 3rd Starcraft and have enjoyed each one. Yes I notice this latest one, 2012 Autumn Ridge, but the towing issue leaves my mind when we are set up & enjoying our trailer at the camp site. Have fun out there in your new Starcraft!

Skelshy

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/12 02:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What specifically is wrong with the towing?

boosTT

Milwaukee

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/12 02:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The specs seam too light. My 2005 Keystone Zeppelin' Z191 ultra light (19' fiberglass, no slide) weighs 3400 dry and 5200 GVWR.

You truck may be a bit small, but should be ok.

Kcountry

Calgary

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 09:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skelshy wrote:

What specifically is wrong with the towing?

Truck spends more time is 3rd and 2nd gears (with high rpms) than I expected. We are new to towing so perhaps our expectation were off.

Thanks everyone for their comments.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Starcraft Launch is mine!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS