|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> 50 amp service

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 04:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just went to the Nexus website. I don't see anything there for getting a 50 amp shorepower. They offer that and they offer a 5.5 Generac genset.
They do offer a second AC unit. That would be the only thing without an energy management type system that would require a 50 amp service if the rig had both a 15000 and a 13000 AC units

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 06:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doesn't make much sense to me -- most C's only come with one air conditioner and spending money on 50 amps just so you can run the air conditioner and electric hot water heater at the same time doesn't pencil out in my book.

Kevin

ASPENMAN

New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I considered a 50 amp service for my new NEXUS 31P. I was told I would need to upgrade to the 5.5 generator. When you addd the two upgrade costs together with ONLY ONE A/C UNIT it made no sense to me what so ever. Add to that the additional up to $10 per night a lot of RV parks charge now for 50 amp - it further made NO SENSE.

BLOGS:
http://rvpainter.blogspot.com
http://art4rvs.blogspot.com
31' Class C NEXUS Phantom 4/4/12
Pressure Pro TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS/Surge

WiFi Ranger Mobile
Cab over entertainment center

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never seen a CG that charges more for 50A service. Find me a website with a rate page that shows that and I will eat my words.

You can run anything in a 50A coach on 30A service that you can with a 30A coach on 30A service. There is no disadvantage to a 50a coach. Only advantages. If you don't have 50A service, you plug into 30A service and you now have a 30A RV. Think about it.

A 4000W genset runs just as much in a 50A RV as it does in a 30A RV. Saying you need to upgrade to a bigger genset is an option, not a requirement. Many a class A used to come with 30A service and a 5500W genset. They have nothing to do with each other.

The cost for 50A wiring will more than likely pay for itself at resale time.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Maddawgs

central MA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 05:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Katuna wrote:

I have never seen a CG that charges more for 50A service. Find me a website with a rate page that shows that and I will eat my words.

You can run anything in a 50A coach on 30A service that you can with a 30A coach on 30A service. There is no disadvantage to a 50a coach. Only advantages. If you don't have 50A service, you plug into 30A service and you now have a 30A RV. Think about it.

A 4000W genset runs just as much in a 50A RV as it does in a 30A RV. Saying you need to upgrade to a bigger genset is an option, not a requirement. Many a class A used to come with 30A service and a 5500W genset. They have nothing to do with each other.

I have to agree. I have not seen any campground that charges more for 50 amp service. I have seen higher rates for deluxe or premium sites that offer both 30amp and 50 amp. These sites are usually much larger pull thru sites in the better areas of the parks with rv pads, fire rings, and tables.
To the OP, the ordering or pre build stage is the best and cheapest time to max out any available options. Any needed wiring to upgrade to 50 amp would also be done at that time. When I ordered my Cambria from Winnebago I went with one simple philosophy "it is better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" so I got every upgrade or option I could and we could not be happier with our RV. (in the end it is your happiness that is important) When you are asking yourself if you need this or that option remember it usually costs a lot more to add it later and if you ever decide to sell most potential buyers will buy the optioned unit over the non optioned unit. Hope this helps you out.
Todd

Todd, Shirley, and the "Maddawgs" min-pins Precious and Buster Brown
2011 Itasca Cambria 30C
2011 Demco KarKaddy 460SS
TST 507 RV TPMS
"if there is anything left when we are gone, then we miscalculated"

randrx2

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 06:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NewsW wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, I thought that solid wire was allowed by NFPA 1192 and there is no requirement for stranded wiring?

It seems that there are just as much failures from crimp connector terminations of stranded as there are from solid copper.

I recognize the runs are short in an RV, but if I were going to do a 50A or higher panel, I would go 12ga just to have the higher current available at every individual plug.

The reason I am inclined toward armor is because I found that Romex is too vulnerable to accidental damage (e.g. with drilling etc.) as things are moved around over time.

Installed in a proper conduit / utility enclosure, that is not an issue.

Part of the problem is I am working with very tight spaces --- having to run the wiring on the roof - wall area to offer them maximum protection from damage.

Not a requirement, just a really good idea.

BTW, you can still run 12awg in a 30A RV to have "higher current available at every individual plug". Although the breaker gives you the more current available, not the wire. i.e. You can put a 12awg wire on a 15A breaker, but you still only have 15A available.

Also, you can drill through armor cable very easily. See it all the time. Although, it would probably be a good idea in the RV for slides and such moving back and forth. Better idea would be for the RV manufacturer to not make the wires rub.

When someone says, "I'm not book smart, I'm street smart." All I hear is, "I'm not real smart, I'm imaginary smart."

srx-6

Houston

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 06:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Katuna wrote:

KOA San Angelo Texas

Pull thru with 30 amp service $27.95/night
Pull thru with 50 amp service $29.95/night

JB & MB
2009 Monaco Camelot PDQ
2008 Jeep Wrangler

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

srx-6 wrote:

KOA San Angelo Texas

Pull thru with 30 amp service $27.95/night
Pull thru with 50 amp service $29.95/night

the KOA in Lincoln Nebraska last time I stayed there.
also others but can't remember exactly when and where.
bumpy

ScottMack

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 12:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Katuna wrote:

Some of the Texas State Parks charge more for 50 amp (called "Premium" sites) than 30 amp sites -- in fact, first two weeks of April - all the 30 amps sites were reserved, so we have to stay the first week in a 50 amp and pay more, then we have a reservation the second week for one of the 30 amp sites. We have seen this in several states in some of their state parks.

2010 Winnebago Outlook 29B
2010 Ford Escape (1 blown tranny at 4876 towing miles)

sjcameron83

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 01:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,

Since I'm having electical issues of my own I read this thread and now I'm curious. If I have an older Class C RV that is 30 amp would using a 50 amp electical hook up cause any issue? I reserved a 50 amp slot for a trip in October but now I'm wondering if it will cause an issue after reading the posts.

Thanks,
Samantha

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> 50 amp service
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: