|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Forum Technical Support

Open Roads Forum  >  Forum Technical Support

> Search within this thread

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
daamac

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there a way to do a search within a thread?

There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

amandasgramma

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 10:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On ANY website (at least on every one I've tried this on) you can do a CTRL F (find)....up in the menu line (usually on the right on my computer) will be a little tiny box --- type in a keyword and it'll highlight that word within the thread. I did "within" on your thread and it found it immediately.

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just hit CTRL F and a "find" bar popped up. I typed Within and it found 6 matches on the page. I didn't know that it worked but yes it does. You learn something new every day if you're not careful.

2oldman

Eastern MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 10:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, and I've asked this myself, there's no search within thread. I believe ctrl-f is only good for one page.

You could get creative with the date function, author function etc and see if you can force it to one thread or narrow it down considerably.

amandasgramma

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 10:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman is right --- it doesn't work on this forum. I was able to go thru many pages when doing genealogy research....so this forum must have some sort of "block"....sorry

daamac

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 12:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ctrl F is a neat thing, too; but what I'm looking for is a way to search for keywords within an entire thread - not just on one page.

This thread is 46 pages long; it's a posting of weights of various combinations of vehicles. I'd like to search within that 46 page long thread for keywords that might turn up my combination of vehicles without having to read 46 individual pages.

There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

amandasgramma

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 01:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

daamac --- the only way I know is to do Ctrl F, type in the keyword, then if that's not right, go to the next page, do Ctrl F again and the keyword will automatically be there -- just hit enter. It's the only way I know -- but sure beats reading all 46 pages!!!

2oldman

Eastern MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 02:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can find a thread using search, then you can Search Within results for your desired keywords. It isn't going well.

I was hoping to be able to find that thread using things like keyword= 'real', Heading only, Archive over 1 year ago, by juzplanekrazy in fifth-wheels, but I can't find that thread, using any combination of parameters. Weird. There are 26 pages of Archive posts in 5th wheels by juzplanekrazy, so that's not much help. If the Date function were more specific that would *really* help.

I was also thinking that Ctrl-F might be good IF you could display all the posts on ONE page, but the board limits that to 40.

So, the best I can figure for now is that either I'm not doing something right, or the Archive search is not working properly.
---------------

That thread is invisible. I see on page 22 is the word 'Seville'. I searched for keyword Seville, fifth wheels, Archive, and got a lot of hits but not that thread. Frustrating.

Tom (Pulsar) is the best search guy around.. maybe he can help.

* This post was edited 02/21/12 04:23pm by 2oldman *

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

If you can find a thread using search, then you can Search Within results for your desired keywords. It isn't going well.

I was hoping to be able to find that thread using things like keyword= 'real', Heading only, Archive over 1 year ago, by juzplanekrazy in fifth-wheels, but I can't find that thread, using any combination of parameters. Weird. There are 26 pages of Archive posts in 5th wheels by juzplanekrazy, so that's not much help. If the Date function were more specific that would *really* help.

I was also thinking that Ctrl-F might be good IF you could display all the posts on ONE page, but the board limits that to 40.

So, the best I can figure for now is that either I'm not doing something right, or the Archive search is not working properly.
---------------

That thread is invisible. I see on page 22 is the word 'Seville'. I searched for keyword Seville, fifth wheels, Archive, and got a lot of hits but not that thread. Frustrating.

Tom (Pulsar) is the best search guy around.. maybe he can help.

Here is a sad truth, which I have privately complained about, to no avail. If a post is more that one year old and in an active thread, then it can't be found by the forum's search engine. If one does a "normal" search, ie does not change the default Date posted field, the search engine will only look at posts made in the last 12 months. That will miss the post because it is older than 12 months. If one changes the Date posted field to Archive - over 1 year ago, the search engine cannot find it because the post has not been archived; it is in an active thread and the post has not been moved to the archives.

Tom

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

daamac wrote:

Is there a way to do a search within a thread?

I know of no way to limit a search to a singe thread. Since "your thread" is a long running, active one, with many posts more than 12 months old, there are many posts that the search engine cannot see at all. See my post immediately above this one.

Tom

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Forum Technical Support

> Search within this thread
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Forum Technical Support

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS