|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> newbies buying RVs

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
campn4walleye

Central WI

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know....we've all been there. I read the beginning RV forum a lot. I've learned so much from it. It breaks my heart though when people buy a unit and then ask the forum what they think, and it's absolutly UNSAFE! Now, they have this expensive problem that they can't use. Example- folks bought a 26' tt and have a Toyota 4 runner. The wts are grossly out of proportion...it was hard to hear what the forum was telling them.

Once again, thank you for keeping us going in the right direction.

2011 Adventurer 910FBS,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD, 4x4, LB,CC,6 speed auto,3.73 axle, General 17" on/off road
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 07:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When folks start throwing around names like "weight police" we know we are having an impact. Those that will not hear reason are the ones trying to fool themselves. The numbers and ratings always speak the loudest.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

FF1063

NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 07:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess that's why some mfg'ers feel they have to stick warning letters in the glove box, maybe they don't know that we have RV.net !

98' Ram 3500 DRW / 05' Arctic Fox 990

Boatycall

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But the nice car salesman said my new Ford F150 shortbox could haul my Arctic Fox 1150 and a 24 foot 10,000lb car trailer. He said I would just need an 8 foot hitch extension and airbags.
Not sure why finance person refused to sell me life insurance policy on my loan.

01 F350 DRW 4x4, Torklift Tie downs & Stableloads,SuperHitch,F550 Rear Suspension,Roadmaster F & R Sway Bars,Rancho 9000s,Jasper MonsterBox Tranny
2012 Eagle Cap 1160-Six 140Ah AGM Batts,Prosine 2.0 2kw Inverter,100a truck charging circuit, Dish Tailgator

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 07:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sometimes it's only have you have RVed for a few years that you realize how little you knew when you started.

Jayco-noslide

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 07:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a fault of newbies, they don't do their home work before jumping in feet first. they either buy a TT after the tow vehicle and find out they are way over weight for the poor thing, or they are miss informed by the salesman. live and learn grass hopper live and learn.

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 08:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sadly none of us are born with the requisite information to make an intelligent first RV purchase. Some folks take the time to do their homework and they are rewarded with a good first experience. Some of us just get lucky but then some don't. I don't worry about the people who make bad financial decisions (it's their bad), but the ones who make bad decisions when it comes to safety (see also, common sense), bother me a lot because their errors can cost innocent lives.

The best advice I got was to put ego on hold, recognize that you don't know it all, listen and learn (be advised at this point that when you get free advice you are getting exactly what you paid for). IMHO: If you think that your TV might not be enough you're probably right. If you think that beautiful new TT might be a handful, you're probably right. Learn about limits, they are based primarily upon safety issues and were determined by folks who in all probability know way more than you ever will. RV'ing is such a wonderful experience when you do it right and every bodies right is a little different, but if it's not safe it's just not right. As always.... opinions and YMMV.

MKish

SF

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 09:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah.

The meanies here told me not to buy a half ton truck. Mean I tells ya! Now I have to add on to my garage dagnabbit.

vladen

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 09:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dont think the ones selling the truck or the trailers have done their homework either. But the idea is sales so they say "Oh sure that combo will pull all day long."

Vlad's busy workings

All hope is gone

SkipJ

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 09:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

P art of the problem is determining who to believe. Lots of poor advice on the internet. I have been steered the wrong way on occasion.
SkipJ

1992 Airstream B-190 van
1989 Airstream 25' Excella Trailer
Outfitter Apex 9.5 Truck Camper Ford F-350 Diesel 4x4

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> newbies buying RVs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts