RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Is tinting windows myself easy?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Is tinting windows myself easy?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
benjamin247

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 02:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,

I've been thinking about tinting my windows myself for more privacy during the day and was wondering how easy/hard it is for those that have done it themselves. Any pointers or suggestions of tint brands?

I'm probably going to start with the slide out side windows since they don't have screens are one piece with no sliding sections.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Chris Bryant

DeLand, Florida, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 02:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Honestly, I would pay a pro to do it- it is possible, but getting good results can be tough.

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

twodog

arizona

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I picked up all I needed at Wallyworld. Black Majic is the brand. Get all you think you'll need like spray soapy stuff, squeege, sharp knife, etc. Buy 2X the amount of film you think you'll need. The results were great! You'll love the privacy from the looky-lews. Mine has been on for 3 years and looks new. Make sure your windows are lint free. You can do it. You don't need a pro to do it for you, ie.DIY!
Good Luck!

2dog
17' nash,pv,axleflip,hd sus w/shocks, yamaha gensets
t4r, arb goodies

buc1980

houston tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 03:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is not that easy(depends of the film too).You need some experience to do it.If you don't care how it look go ahead and do it.

2011 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,Breaksmart controller(not install I use Ford controler ),Equa-Flex.6 points LIPPERD Level-up.

Playtime II

No. VA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 03:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used the heavier "Cling" type deep tint on my last and my current trailer. The heavier was less likely to tear with a dull blade or stretch. It goes on just like the permenant type with a water/soap spray, squeege and then cut to fit.

On any window that can be removed, remove them. It is worth the effort to work on these on flat table then re-install them.

The pix in the signature is before tinting.

The campsite was over 100 degrees and accidently we left the AC on full and returned to a 62 degree TT.

The down side, is that you have to turn on lights during the afternoon to read, etc.

Playtime IV
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ

Finally Fulltiming

Summer: NYS Finger Lakes; Winter: Someplace warm

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 03:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did mine myself. Didn't look as good as a pro, but very acceptable & served the purpose at a lot less cost.

Start with smaller windows & learn as you go. I used newspapers to make patterns.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 04:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not very hard to do but you do need to take your time. If a window doesn't look like you want remove when wet and do again. I am not sure what the pros charge now but you can save some $$.

AllegroD

OutterLimits

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 05:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

Not very hard to do but you do need to take your time. If a window doesn't look like you want remove when wet and do again. I am not sure what the pros charge now but you can save some $$.

X2 on the patience. We did ours. Used the thin film. Use a lot of spray. You must have a sharp knife or end up with jagged edges. Once you do one you will find it easier and easier.

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 05:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have tinted tons, been to tinting school, have all the tools. I see terrible tint jobs on glass all the time. I haven't done any in several years. If I wanted a car or RV tinted today, I would hire it done. There is a learning curve. You will waste $ome quantity of tint learning how to handle it. Then many of the next windows will look mediocre to poor; poor edges, etc. It is a good example of a fast, competent tech can do the complete job in a fraction of the time than you would with better results wasting less film.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

x5rdman

West Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 10:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Used to tint windows in high school, it takes a bit of work. But if you are talking about flat windows, it is easy, just take your time. Now you have me thinking of a weekend idea.

2008 Jayco Ex-Port 17C
2007 Trailblazer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Is tinting windows myself easy?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS