RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class B - Camping Van Conversions: Portable Air Compressor

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Portable Air Compressor

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 03:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For a 12V, you might want to read this thread in the tech issues forum:http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25835485.cfm, and maybe the thread linked in the 2nd post. I pretty much agree with Rodger.... a 120V for regular service, a 12V for occasional & emergency use.

But I'll admit I was surprised at how fast my little 12V no-name cheapie ran a tire back up to ~80 psi when I had a valve stem start leaking several years ago.

Jim, "I'm on a 30-day diet. So far, I've lost 15 days."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

My Roadtrek

Tucson, AZ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 03:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim, they made em better back then. Made in the good old USA.

Some 12V compressors have an auto shut off when they get too hot, and they last longer, but you find yourself waiting for them to cool back down, before you can continue to use them.

I think there are some combo (ac/dc) ones out there, but I have no recommendations.

Gene in NE

Omaha

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 07:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horizon170 wrote:

...Don't use Slime, as repair shops hate that stuff. ...
Not sure if that is completely true. Green Slime is water-soluble thus should not cause much concern. The "Fix-a-Flat" in aerosol cans was a sticky mess and was not water-soluble.

2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

Itaricans

Platte City, Missouri.

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 01:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone, I`m leaning towards a 110 volts, because if we`re on the rd, I can use the generator, also I think a pancake type one would be good to store on the side or behind the bed, I just have to remember to bring a good electrical extension. Walmart has one for about $54. and Sears is going to have it`s Craftsman Club sale from the 11 - 17 I think.I`ll make up my mind by then. Latter. Louie.

Itaricans. man can not live on bread alone....(pizza, burgers,and ribs help a lot)

My Roadtrek

Tucson, AZ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 03:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also check Amazon, they sell just about everything these days. Lots of free shipping available too.

reppans

CT

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I picked this B&D 125psi, 2gal oil-less from Target for $35 clearance (actually 3, and gave 2 away as gifts).

CLICKY

It's been great for my tires and blowing out my water lines (also use anti-freeze).

Not sure if they still sell them though.

tkarvelis

Pittsburgh

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/12 07:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fix-A-Flat was not liked in the tire shops because the propellant was propane. Tire changers that did not know propane was in the tire had a risk if the tire exploding when they used the bead breaker on them.

Both the slime and Fix-A-Flat are both messy to clean off rims. Spent too many Friday nights working at Sam's club changing tires.

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/12 09:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just got the Kobalt 12v/110v 120psi tire inflator/compressor from Lowes that I mentioned in an earlier reply to this thread. Another Roadtrek owner that I am in communication with also got one. We have both found that it works great. The best part it that it takes up no room to store in the back of the Roadtrek under the bed. It does need a 9 foot 12v extension cord (Harbor Freight) to reach one of the four tires or a standard household 110v extension cord to run it on AC.

Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Escargot

California

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/12 02:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WaterDaisy wrote:

We've had this one for a couple of years and have been happy with it:
Industries-MV50-SuperFlow-High--Compressor
Neal 05C210P "Daisy II"

Happy with mine as well!
It's been a while but I think I signed up for their credit card, got a bonus, plus some other benefit I had accumulated, free shipping, and it may have been discounted by a few dollars. In the end the compressor cost me all of $19.00!

2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

CJBill

Rockville Md.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/12 03:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the recommendation of another Roadtrek owner on this forum or another one I purchased an inexpensive (~$44) Craftsman #2875115 12 volt air pump which they say is for SUV/TRUCK. If all you want to do is top off your tires 3 or 4 lbs to bring them up to 80 lbs it has worked reasonably well for me, the electric cord plus air hose is just long enough to reach all of the tires on my 190 Roadtrek. Personally I wouldn't want to carry a real compressor or anything larger than this in my Roadtrek but would like to be able to top off my tires while traveling.

Still this unit is not ideal and I would be glad to learn of something similar that would be better. I will mention the down sides I have found but one can also go to the Sears web site and see that they only give it 2.5 out of 5 stars and you can read a number of negative comments. On reading them over I think many of the problems noted could be avoided with care.

I have used the unit to top off my tires up to 80 lbs for a year or so. One of the problems complained about on the Sears site is the mechanism for clamping the hose to the tire stem is difficult to attach and remove. I found this to be so and would always loose a little air removing it. This almost became a severe problem on one long trip when on removing the hose the valve stem stuck open and I was rapidly loosing the air in my tire. By the time I had gotten my very small Swiss Army Knife out of my pocket and freed the valve stem so it closed I had lost, maybe 20 lbs but I think less. At this point the problem previously noted of not being able to run these pumps for a long time becomes noticeable. The pump has, 10 minutes run time requires a 10 minute cooling time, printed on the bottom but I seemed to think it was 5 minutes so it took me a while to bring my tire up but I managed. I have since realized these problems are avoidable. I had been pushing the pump connection on to the valve stem quite a ways and discovered after my trouble that if I only pushed it on a little it was easier to clamp and to remove with out loosing much air, and so far with out having the valve stem stick open.

The second frequent complaint on the Sears web site the end that plugs in to the 12 volt socket breaks easily. I am glad I read the complaints as now I know to be careful. There may be a more serious potential problem. As previously commented these pumps need to get a lot of power out of a 12 volt receptacle. Thus I think one should always run the engine when using the air pump to decrease the amount of current one needs to pull through the 12 volt socket. Sitting in my driveway today the 12 volt socket shows 12.25 volts but when I turn on the engine the alternator provides 14.4 volts. I believe this means there would be 17% less current needed for any device using power from the electrical socket. I mention this because at some point the 12 volt accessory socket in my van stopped working. I keep a log in my van but didn't record or didn't know exactly when it went bad but either it was poorly made or overused. If it was the latter it must have been the air pump even though the van circuit has a 20 amp fuse and the air pump has a 15 amp fuse in the plug. I always thought I should be running the van engine while using the air pump but am not 100% sure I did.

So with a little caution I believe this air pump is serviceable for topping off my tires and will continue to use it but if I loose another electrical socket I'll take note if it was the pump and likely change my mind.

Bill

CJ is the better half.
05/06 Roadtrek 190 Popular
Rockville MD

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Portable Air Compressor
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS