|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Looking for a used 5er

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Uncle Grumpy

Nebraska

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 04:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK I did my research and bought an 06 Duramax 3/4. Have been diligent in my rv research. Still not clear about hitches. Have a short bed. My use for the next two years will be to haul it to WY and live in it with Dw and two dogs for work from April-Nov. I have narrowed it down to about 8 manufactuers with Excel and Nu Wa the leaders. Not willing to spend more than 10K as this may not be permenent. Being a long way from dealers and not wanting to deal with them any way are there any lists of how/what to look for in inspecting the rigs. Looking for 28-32 ft with single slide. Any where to look besides craigslist? Thanks for any and all comments..

Swanny59

Lemoore, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 04:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rvtrader is another option.

Ray & Addie
Lemoore, CA
2003 Dodge Ram 3500
2011 Sundance 3300QS

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 04:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a look at NuWa's used inventory on their website. There was a 95 rear kitchen model for sale in your price range.

RVn Full-time

JC_RV_CRAZY

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My HR manager wants to get rid of her 5er, she wants about 12K for it. i will find out whta it is if you wnat me to.

Uncle Grumpy

Nebraska

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 06:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking from Sd, wy, Co, Ne, Ia, Ks to Ok. not willing to go farther. Still looking for a list of things to look for when evaluating rigs.

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

...probably don't want to hear this, but make sure of your weights, some of the 5er's your looking at, depending on size can get rather heavy as far as their GVW is concerned which can also equate to a heavy pin weight...just a suggestion.

Jim & Kathy
2013 Dodge 3500DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin tranny/4:10/Cummins: 385HP/850TQ
06 HR Presidential Suite 37RLQ/SK3005 Satellite/Splendide XC2100/4slide/dual pane windows
2014 Jeep Compass Ltd 4X4
Boxers;Buddy& Sheba II
USAF 71-75 Nam Vet

Uncle Grumpy

Nebraska

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 07:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I understand that due to a lot of research. A 30 ft in the brands I am looking at are around 8700 dry wt. What I wish that someone could come up with a list of things to check out on an inspection of a used unit. Tires, refrigerator, suspension, slide, etc. Does anyone have a check list?

Luke Porter

National Director

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 07:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Too bad you can't spend a few days 28' single slide rig. You might be looking for something bigger to spend 8 months in.

Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

Uncle Grumpy

Nebraska

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 07:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not like I have not lived in before. A 23' tt solo, 26 ft mh duo, 20 tt solo. Just don't want to go overloaded and we may end up traveling in a couple of years at small fs or dry camping. This may be temporary. Still looking for someone to give me a list of how to evaluate buying a used unit. thanks

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 07:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Uncle Grumpy wrote:

I understand that due to a lot of research. A 30 ft in the brands I am looking at are around 8700 dry wt. What I wish that someone could come up with a list of things to check out on an inspection of a used unit. Tires, refrigerator, suspension, slide, etc. Does anyone have a check list?

Would be nice if the tires aren't over 5 yrs. of age. look at fridge from back panel, see how compressor, wiring and plumbing looks, if unit has shocks, make sure they're still good, springs should have a good arch in them. Best way to check out slides is to run them in and out and look around edges to see if water has leaked in over the years by faded areas. A/C units, run them if possible to see how quickly they cool...Would be nice if you could fill unit with city water to check for water leaks, see if hot water heater is leaking and working. Look at the roof from the top and also look up at the ceiling when inside to make sure there hasn't been any leaks from the above....flush the commode once you've hooked water up to make sure that plumbing is ok...run the sink water and the shower.....

the entire check list isn't a whole lot different then if you were going to rent an apartment or home and you checked it all out before you moved in...

One thing...don't go by dry weight of a 5er.....it's not very helpful...no one tows empty. I would look at the GVW of the 5er and go from there.

Check out propane tanks and their regulator(s)...

hope this helped a little..

Look at breakers, fuses, and lighting, inside and out...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Looking for a used 5er
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS