|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Voltage 3600 weights

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MadMav

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I personally still see the 16000lb+ club to be DRW territory. There is no way I would haul 18+k without a DRW and I have 19 years of heavy hauling experience.

Mav

"A fifth wheel trailer is a bi-level towable mobile home."

lincster

Mesa Az

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 06:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People are crazy for towing these big heavy trailers with a SRW. You get into this much weight, you need a DRW.

2012 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

grizzly660fan

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 10:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kinda funny the attitude on here (not just here but other RV forums) about dual wheel tires seems the commercial truck guys have been using super singles for years without a problem, why wouldn't it work for RV guys?

super single example 1

super single example 2

2012 Epic Voltage 3905
2013 High Output Dodge Cummins

loodog

Perris, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 02:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lincster wrote:

People are crazy for towing these big heavy trailers with a SRW. You get into this much weight, you need a DRW.

There sure are a LOT of "crazy" people out there....

2006 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A
2008 WW LE3505

"Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

OldGreaser

South Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 06:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Extra rubber on the road could be handy if you ever have to stop.

mpierce

Scranton, ND

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 12:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Much harder time finding tires that work for size, plus it does NOT raise your axle or vehicle ratings.

lincster

Mesa Az

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 07:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

loodog wrote:

lincster wrote:

There sure are a LOT of "crazy" people out there....

I agree. Might add "not too smart" also.

grizzly660fan

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mpierce wrote:

Much harder time finding tires that work for size, plus it does NOT raise your axle or vehicle ratings.

I never said it would change ratings.

My point is, that people get conditioned to seeing something and immediately assume "oh thats unsafe" without knowledge that there are options other than the "norm".

My truck is heavily modified and capable of everything I tow, I have been to the scales and know exactly what my weights are and whether or not I am within my limits. I also have additional insurance over and above required, my mods are all reported to my insurance company and I have a binder in writing from them.

Yet if the "weight police" on this forum saw my truck on the road, they would "assume" that is not safe and dangerous.

I do my own thing and don't worry about the keyboard jockey's (not saying mpierce is a keyboard jockey), just saying to all to be careful how you judge.

loodog

Perris, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 11:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grizz, I don't much care for the "weight police" either. If everyone went purely by manufacturer specs nobody could pull anything north of a golf cart trailer without a F-650. I see tons of SRW trucks pulling very large trailers, and I don't see them balled up and on fire on the side of the road. I for one can tell very quickly (especially going up a hill while passing them) who is doing it right and who the idiots are.

mpierce

Scranton, ND

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

grizzly660fan wrote:

mpierce wrote:

I never said it would change ratings.

My point is, that people get conditioned to seeing something and immediately assume "oh thats unsafe" without knowledge that there are options other than the "norm".

My truck is heavily modified and capable of everything I tow, I have been to the scales and know exactly what my weights are and whether or not I am within my limits. I also have additional insurance over and above required, my mods are all reported to my insurance company and I have a binder in writing from them.

Yet if the "weight police" on this forum saw my truck on the road, they would "assume" that is not safe and dangerous.

I do my own thing and don't worry about the keyboard jockey's (not saying mpierce is a keyboard jockey), just saying to all to be careful how you judge.

Hey, I am NOT weight police! I agree with you 100%. Being both in a commercial trucking company, and a farmer, I deal with trailers, loads, etc. all the time. Seems like some think if the gross combo weight is 20,000, it is OK, but if you have a gross of 20,100#, all heck will break loose, and you are totally out of control. But, there are overloads out there!

I am more concerned about the experience of the driver. A heavily loaded rig, driven by a competent driver with years of experience, is much safer than a rig under weight, but pulled by someone with little experience. I have over 2 million miles over the road, and a lot more additional local with big loads.

Your rig sounds great.

MP

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Voltage 3600 weights
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: