|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Exhaust brake operation

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
MSHappyCampers

Columbus, MS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 03:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure I'm reading the manual on my Monaco Windsor 40PBT right. I get the impression that I can leave the exhaust brake switch on all the time I'm driving and it will work any time I take my foot off the accelerator. I tried that today and it works great. Is that the correct way to use it?

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT

steveownby

Cosby, TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 04:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Joe,

Yes, that is the correct way to use your exhaust brake with a couple of caveats.

1. Wet or slippery conditions.
2. Cruise control may not work at all or at least not well.

If the cruise will not set or if it causes the exhaust brake to engage unexpectedly then you may have to turn the brake off. If you do, just remember to turn it back on when appropriate. There is an after market switch available which makes it easier to use the exhaust brake with the cruise engaged. Google "RV exhaust brake switch" and see where it leads if you are interested.

Steve Ownby
2003 Monaco Signature

Full-time since 2007

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you do that-- sure.

Will you loose my favorite "gear" COASTING-- yes.

Will you cause a lot of unnecessary down/up shifts-- yes.

Will your MPG suffer-- yes.

Do it or as many of us do, only leave it on in stop and go traffic, heavy traffic etc. Other times, only turn it on when you need it.

To leave it on in rolling hills on the road would drive me crazy with it downshifting and applying the exhaust brake every time you took you foot off the throttle after cresting a rise.

Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
EX: 1993 Foretravel 36' U-240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

bluwtr49

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 04:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Play with it a bit and you'll find what works best for you.

I keep the jake brake off so the cc will function and just select low as my first choice than go to 2nd if needed, even toggle back and forth to control my descent. Most often, 2nd is simply too much braking except for short periods....kinda like throwing out an anchor.

Dick

2000 40" DP Beaver Patriot Thunder Cat C-12 425 HP, 1550 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 04:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Joe, there's nothing wrong with leaving it on all the time. You will get the feel of it quickly. Monaco has a lock out so the exhaust brake will not work with the cruise control on. I would not defeat that safety feature. JMHO...when activated, the transmission will automatically shift to either 2nd or 4th depending on how it's programmed. If it's programmed for 2nd and you'd rather have 4th it can be reprogrammed and visa versa, depending on your preferences. Where you will really appreciate it will be on long steep downhills. You should have a foot pedal also. If the switch is OFF and you activate the foot pedal, the brake will automatically activate as well. This is the mode I used to use with my Dynasty. (The Exec has a two stage Jake Brake, different animal) By leaving the switch on all the time, the tranny will continue to downshift whenever you take your foot off the throttle. This may be something you don't want happening all the time. Around town, my recommendation is to leave the switch OFF and use the foot pedal. On mountain grades turn it on because it's one less thing to worry about.....hope this helps....Dennis

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Tombstone Jim

Tombstone Az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 04:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Opinons vary.
Mine is not really. That mode is for when you are in heavy traffic or some other situation at low speed where you want to be able to and need to be in total control. It not only applies the exhaust brake but also causes the transmission to down shift a lot sooner than it would normally. Some people use tht mode also for exiting off ramps as it will apply the brake and downshift. I personally find that in that mode it downshifts way to soon and often for me.

My opinon that it should only be used tht way at low speeds or heavy taffic.

2011 Big Country 3450
06 F250 4x4
91 Wrangler
2011 Jeep Liberty

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 06:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron,

Yes, I redesigned my Allison shift pad and exhaust brake switch location to a location where I did not have to take my eyes off the road to use them. A couple of inches to the left of the steering wheel.

bfast54

Traverse City ,Mi.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 05:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tombstone Jim wrote:

Opinons vary.
Mine is not really. That mode is for when you are in heavy traffic or some other situation at low speed where you want to be able to and need to be in total control. It not only applies the exhaust brake but also causes the transmission to down shift a lot sooner than it would normally. Some people use tht mode also for exiting off ramps as it will apply the brake and downshift. I personally find that in that mode it downshifts way to soon and often for me.

My opinon that it should only be used tht way at low speeds or heavy taffic.

Unless of course you are at "Highway" speeds....and a EMERGENCY situation suddenly developes in front of you, and the extra braking of the AUTOMATIC exhaust brake , would help you to get it slowed down sooner.

So, for obvious reasons....USE IT...Except in slippery situations. Drove HEAVY Firetrucks for Years....WE use exaust brakes.

The reason you do not want it in slippery situations.....is......the rear may stop with more force than the front, and come around.....having the front, behind the rear.....is a VERY BAD situation

USE it for what it was designed for .....read an owners manual....you know, the book with Instructions .....on how to use things..............by the people who designed them.

2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2000 Cardinal 27RK LX
Prodigy Brake Controller
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 1300 /GPS
Doran Pressure Pro
VU Qube Satelite
Rally's attended so far-21
My Blog
Good Sam Member

RCtime

So. Calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bet You havn't had your coach for a long period of time,
Play with it, You will find what works for you.
Personally, I only use mine when I need retarding on grades.
Other times I dont like the unexpextected downshifts and retard when its not needed.
I expect, its not a BRAND related , rather than all of us that have a allison 3000 and a retarder.
What Brett said is pretty much on the mark, but after a few thousands miles of use you WILL be comfortable in its use and WHEN you want to use it.

MY BIG wish list, I would like to have the switch on my steering wheel, instead of reaching forward a few inches to the dash of my Winnie Journey to hit the retard switch.

I can now do it without taking my eyes off the road, but IT WOULD BE SOOOO NICE.

Ron
2002 34HD Winnebago Journey DL, Cat. 330/freightliner
2013 Honda CRV - Garmin 1490t
Great wife & Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, RIP
TT/N

BillofPA

York, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What Wolfe10 said.

Jenny & Bill