RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Remember when....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Remember when....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
zackyboy3rs

Eastern North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 10:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember as a young boy about 35-40 years ago every Sunday we would go for a drive. Often to get ice cream or just go and get a Pepsi. No running around, no sports practice (except little baseball in the spring), no Wal-Fart. Now these days who has the time or the money just to "ride around". As Allen Jackson song goes..."Remember When".

2009 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2500HD 6.0L, 3.73, Gas sipper

Engineer9860

Eagle Scout dad

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 11:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was just saying the other day how much I appreciate my job that allows me to drive.

The days of our Sunday drives are long gone.

In Memoriam: Liberty Belle

Drbolasky

Allentown, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still occasionally do this with my family, but the biggest difference today is the number of drivers on the road with no clue. I'm getting tired of doing the thinking for myself AND for "the other guy." JMHO

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew
08 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 6 sp. Auto, 4.30 Rear, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors

lilscout2u

Monroe, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love Sunday drives and was just thinking about this. Unfortunately, my hubby likes the couch on Sundays...

Steph

'08 Chevy Equinox Sport (mine)
'03 GMC SIERRA 4X4 CCSB (DH)
Red '95 Camaro Z28 with a 383 Stroker (mine)
Blue '95 Camaro Z28 don't know whats in it, but it's a Beast (DH)

"Without the Brave, There would be no Land of the Free!"

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We take a 'drive' every week just for the heck of it........but then again we are some where different every week so it's a get acquainted/see the area drive usually on a Tuesday.

wannavolunteerFT

South Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 12:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last Sunday drive was Father's Day... after we finished lunch in restaurant near my dad's, we rode to "the lake" and rode around looking at lake houses and talking about who still had lake houses and who lived in their lake house full time now. That was the last "real Sunday drive" however, my parent's and I did drive around Natchez on Sunday and Monday back in November sightseeing. I remember most the drive through the old cemetary and stopping to take pictures of the amazing iron work.

anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a nice sunday drive today.... 25 min out to where the TT is stored, set up the WDH w/ the new TV and then took it for a nice test drive. When DD asked where we were going, we told her "for a sunday drive". It was a beautiful day for working on the TT and taking a drive.

2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL
Reese Dual Cam

2 nights camped in 2014!
21 nights camped in 2013!
21 nights camped in 2012!
27 nights camped in 2011!

lawnspecialties

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 02:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We love to drive. That's why we're RVers.

Back in my young days, we'd always go to my grandparents house for church, Sunday dinner (that's lunch for you city folk), and then usually my grandfather and I would go to the hog pen, dig some worms, and head to the pond and fish 'til it was time to go home. I sure miss him.

On the way home, we'd sometimes stop at the store and I'd get a NuGrape.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 02:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, my sundays are mixed, Sometimes we go shopping, sometimes not, sometimes we change campgrounds, some times not. Always we go to church and sing. That's what Sunday is about for me.. Singing in church. Alas, could not do that today, cold, can't sing, As I told the music director..> The real sacrafice was NOT singing the meditation hymn she had picked out.

She promised me a chance to do it before easter (YIPPIE)... lovely piece.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Dog Trainer

Richmond Mi.

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sunday is our church day. In the past say 50 years ago we would always have fried Chicken, Biscuts and milk gravy, green beans or corn and cornbread. Ussualy some homemade pickled beets and honey mixed with a lot of butter. Did I forget the mashed potatoes. Sunday afternoon rides have also been a long tradition. Living in the country we can ride for miles without seeing much of anyone else. In the Old days never saw a lot of deer in SE Michigan but today the rides will be filled with deer sightings. Also Turkeys never used to see them today you can easily see 20 or more on a ride. Now days no more grandma so we spend a few hours of fellowship with other Church members and have a nice meal at a local restraunt. Today after comming home we took a ride with the dogs stopping at a rural park to make a couple laps around a paved walking path.
I hope my children and theirs will keep these type of traditions so as not to be lost in todays pace.

93 Airstream 35' Dp
5.9 230 uprated to 300 HP
Allison MD 3060
Shadow 12 yr old Golden Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles (fur Bearing Children) Duchess my Golden daddys little girl at the Rainbow bridge since 4/12

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Remember when....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS