RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Which WD hitch?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Which WD hitch?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jdrphs

MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 06:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is my plan, please help me adjust if needed, or recommend changes.
I have a 2005 Colorado I5 Crew Cab. Planning on using the factory receiver which is a 2" and I believe class III. I am looking at trailers with GVWR between 2700-3500lbs, tongue wts of 270-400lbs. I am going to add either a prodigy p2 or primus IQ BC, Tranny cooler, and now I am trying to decide on a wd setup for these weights. I have also already added rear spring helpers. I have seen prices from $250 and up, and don't want to spend more than I meed to . I believe it will be a long time before I need to go much over these Specs. I have heard a lot of people talk about equalizers, and I saw in the pics that there are no chains. I am guessing I will like a little sway control help, and these say they halp with this. I am interested in the easiest setup and take down. Its only going to be 16-19ft trailer, don't want to take 30 minutes hitching it up. Thanks for your help all!

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best on the market for your hitch weight would be the Hensley Cub. But it is a little pricy.

Second best would be Equal-i-zer and Reese Dual-cam.

Dual-cam needs about 400 lbs of tongue weight from what I have read.

Once the Dual-Cam is set up its easy to hitch up.
Equal-i-zer is equally easy to hitch up.

Thanks and good luck!

Jeremiah

2014 Chrysler Town And Country
3.6 Pentastar V6

"It's Kind of Fun To Do The Impossible"
~Walt Disney~

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A simple round bar WD rated @ 4-600lbs along with a single friction sway pad would seem like enough. At 16-19' it's not overload for your Colorado. Only thing to watch is you reciever rating. FWIW I had a P2 in my 06 Nissan and really like it. I have used both with and w/o chains. Chains are really not that bad and not any more time, actually less than my EQ. Don't have to worry about pins and clips as much. Might look for something used for a round bar WD.

luve2camp

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As goducks said a simple 4-600 lb round bar will be just fine... but I would use a dual friction sway control set on the light side. I have been using round bars with a dual friction sway control in my set up for the third year and no complaints here...total hook up time is about 5-10 min and rock solid down the road o

2011 Dodge Durango
2010 Jayco JayFlight 19BH
Countless motorized "toys" for us and the boys
Me, The Wife, 2 Boys and Ruger and Gunner the hairy drooling Boxer children
God Bless America
Stand Tall Freedom Doesnt Come Free

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 07:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had dual friction sway control. It does a great job If the hitch is set up correctly.

The only thing, at least on my experience is that for sharp left turns or backing my left bar would crash into my hitch head. Be warned, if you crash The WD bar into the hitch head you will bend the hitch head, and possibly the frame of the travel trailer. I have pics to prove it.

Dual friction sway control will not ever be on my trailers again if I can afford better.

Op it is up to you, most folks get along with friction sway control just fine. However there are better options for not much more $$$$.

Thanks!

luve2camp

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 07:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jerem0621 wrote:

I had dual friction sway control. It does a great job If the hitch is set up correctly.

The only thing, at least on my experience is that for sharp left turns or backing my left bar would crash into my hitch head. Be warned, if you crash The WD bar into the hitch head you will bend the hitch head, and possibly the frame of the travel trailer. I have pics to prove it.

Dual friction sway control will not ever be on my trailers again if I can afford better.

Op it is up to you, most folks get along with friction sway control just fine. However there are better options for not much more $$$$.

Thanks!

That must have been some tight turn. I've had mind nearly fully locked left and right no issues....op when backing you should release tension on the sway control at least...when I arrive to a cg right after I check in I actually remove my sway control when in route to my site

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 07:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

luve2camp wrote:

jerem0621 wrote:

Thanks!

That must have been some tight turn. I've had mind nearly fully locked left and right no issues....op when backing you should release tension on the sway control at least...when I arrive to a cg right after I check in I actually remove my sway control when in route to my site

Yup I took mine off at the campground too. Not too tight of a turn. Just the design of the sway bar mount. Crazy stuff.

Here is a an example of a hard left hand turn. Note that you do not have to only be backing to cause damage to friction bars. Backing up or going forward. Makes no difference. If the turn is tight enough it will crash.

Here is a right hand turn. Notice how the friction bar actually crashes into the coupler!!!!

Finally, my bent hitch head. Notice the sway bar mount on the left side. It is bent in.

However, towing it was stable. If you are going to run friction run two.

With Dual Cam or Equal-I-zer you dont have to worry about disconnecting or loosing anything. Set it and forget it.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

mike4947

N. Syracuse, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Folks remember he's looking at apx a 3000 pound camper, not a 35 footer. No need for dual friction sway controls. In fact they would cause him problems.
In that weight range we recommend the smaller Equalizer hitch. It comes with built in sway control and is easy to hitch and unhitch.

blog.rv.net Your daily guide to the Open Road

Subscribe to the daily digest

They say you learn by your mistakes, in that case I must be a genius.

luve2camp

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 08:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My dual friction is a single component on the pass side and is a dual friction as it has two "brake pads" on each side of the slide. I don't actually have two friction bars

jdrphs

MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 08:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike4947 wrote:

Folks remember he's looking at apx a 3000 pound camper, not a 35 footer. No need for dual friction sway controls. In fact they would cause him problems.
In that weight range we recommend the smaller Equalizer hitch. It comes with built in sway control and is easy to hitch and unhitch.

OP here. Don't want to start an arguement over what is best really, I just wonder if I need sway control at all. Would I be ok with just a round bar setup and brakes? I see the equalizers run quite a bit compared to some of the cheaper round bars. I have heard that if I go too crazy on the WD, that it may actually make my ride worse. Is it one of those beefier isn't better, but match it to what your towing? Seems like there are different ratings like 600/6000, 1000/10000 etc. Should I go smallest that will still be over my tt that I decide on.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Which WD hitch?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS