|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Florida Inspection Stations

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Hjudge49

St. Augustine, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 01:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have lived in Florida all of my life, and drive past the Ag insection stations on a routine basis in my motorhome. I have never been stopped or directed to stop. The only reason you would be required to stop is if you had agriculture or aquaculture products, like towing a horse trailer. Motorhomes are specifically exemed by statute from having to stop at agricultural inspection station.

Retired JSO

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 01:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV's are not required to stop at Florida inspection/agricultural or weigh stations.
All commercial vehicles, or private vehicles transporting produce or livestock and rental trucks do have to stop.

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 01:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hjudge49 wrote:

Motorhomes are specifically exempted by statute from having to stop at agricultural inspection station.
Please provide your source for this statement.....

A retired FL LEO.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2010 Rzr or 2007 Grizzly 450 in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 01:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Texan wrote:

Hjudge49 wrote:

Motorhomes are specifically exempted by statute from having to stop at agricultural inspection station.
Please provide your source for this statement.....

A retired FL LEO.

Hjudge is correct-
I posted a link to the Statute earlier in this thread :

Francesca Knowles wrote:

Weigh stations and Ag inspection stations are two different things entirely though in some cases they might be in the same location.

Florida agricultural inspection stations are there for plant disease interdiction rather than road protection.

By Applicable Statute, passenger cars and recreational vehicles as defined here aren't automatically subject to inspection and needn't routinely stop.

HOWEVER...

Pickup trucks ARE subject to inspection unless the whole bed area is open to view! (see letter "g" in first link above)
So if one's towing with a bed cap on a pickup stopping at Ag stations is probably at least technically required...

I couched the language a bit since obviously special circumstances could arise where EVERYBODY could be required to stop...I imagine conspicuous posting of signs would be used in such a circumstance, though.

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 01:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I traveled all of the Florida interstates, turnpikes, toll roads and many of the large secondary roads and have never been asked by a sign to stop at any one of them, whether they are an ag station or a weigh station. The only time I have ever stopped at a weigh station, in any state, was in Wyoming where they specifically had a portable sign set up at ONE weigh station saying that ALL vehicles over 12,000 GVW had to pull in. Even then I did not have to stop and was waved by a side route back to the highway.
Now we did have to stop at a check point in Arizona that scanned and checked all vehicles for contraband. The MH was scanned with various sensors and one of them was an infrared detector. Since we have a large dog, as soon as they saw that there were three bodies in the coach, which showed up in the scan, we were waved on.

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 09:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my 55 years in Florida I have NEVER seen an RV in an AG inspection station and never seen an RV stopped for one. Just drive by unless you are pulling a trailer full of watermelons. They are obviously meant for commercial interests or those moving produce for distribution.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

farmer_boots

Weirsdale, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 04:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My advice is read the sign, if it does not say anything regarding RV or Motor Homes drive on past.

Just FYI about 30 years ago I was in my Dodge van headed north on I75 in Florida (taking my sister and some of her friends back to collage). I drove past the Ag inspection station, the sign stated all trucks must stop. My logic is I am a passenger van and did not have to stop. An officer pulled me over just prior to the Georgia state line. He gave me a hard time about not stopping, he stated the sign said all trucks. I tried to tell him I am not a truck but it did not matter. He wanted to inspect the van and shined his flash light over my shoulder into the back of the van. He could see about 6 young collage girls laying around sleeping. He paused for a minute looking at the girls and then back to me and said you may be carrying contraband but it's not what I am looking for and told me to carry on.

2006 Monaco Diplomat

teleman2

melbourne

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 06:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Florida
The following vehicles must stop: (1) agricultural, motor vehicles (including trailers) which are or could be used in the production, manufacture, storage, sale, or transportation of any food product or any agricultural, horticultural or live stock product, except private passenger automobiles with no trailer in tow, travel trailers, camping trailers, and motor homes; (2) any commercial vehicle (a) with a GWR of 10,000 lbs. or more, (b) designed to transport more than 10 passengers, or (c) used to transport hazardous materials.

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 01:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

By Applicable Statute, passenger cars and recreational vehicles as defined here aren't automatically subject to inspection and needn't routinely stop.
That is why I said read the signs as you approach the inspection point, as RV are NOT specifically exempted from ever stopping. Florida can and DOES occasionally require RVs to stop. I have seen the signs on several occasions and have been required to stop 2X by the signage, both times on I-95.

doubleG

OC,MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have never stopped and wave as I go by. Was stopped in VA once for not stopping at weigh station only to be told that officer was new at it and didn't know. I smelled he had nothing to do and only wanted to see the coach as his conversation turned to many questioned about the coach and how we handled the 44' and 20' car trailer. I said just gotta rememba you are that long for corners and be sure of overhead clearances. Off we went.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Florida Inspection Stations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS