|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Florida Inspection Stations

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Williamh

Southeastern Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am in Crystal River in the Rock Crusher Canyon rv park until probably next monday or tuesday. I do plan to go over to Melbourne, Fla. to visit relatives and then head north on I-95. I read that I will go thru an inspection station at the Fla/Ga border. I am wondering just what are they looking for and will I normally have to open all of the outside compartments. Many years ago, I went thru the inspeciton station with a travel trailor and if I remember right, the inspection officers only asked a few questions. This time I have a motor home and don't know if it will be different or not. And one more question. I was looking at the NEXT EXIT book and saw a number of walmarts listed, and each of them had a "sc" after the name Walmart. Just what does the sc mean. Thanks for any info

William

Mr.Mark

CA/TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 07:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SC means Super Center (Big Walmart with a grocery store).

MM.

Mr.Mark
2013 Honda CR-V EXL, AWD, w/Nav, SMI Air Force One vacuum-assisted braking, Blue Ox base-plate, Blue Ox tow bar.
2015 Liberty Coach Elegant Lady, 45 ft., one and a half bath, 4 slide, 500 hp Volvo.

Turbo Diesel Dude

Ocala,Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 07:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Inspection/Weigh stations, go right by and wave as you're NOT commercial, but Private. JMHO

charles weidman

The Texan

Wellton, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turbo Diesel Dude wrote:

Inspection/Weigh stations, go right by and wave as you're NOT commercial, but Private. JMHO
READ the signs, do NOT just blow by them. Yes, in Florida, they may place a signboard prior to the entrance that requires RVs to stop for inspection. Usually Florida Inspection Stations are NOT part of the scales, but are located close by and operated independently of the scales.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ the Rzr or ACE or a Quad riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

crickeydog

Marietta, Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Texan wrote:

Turbo Diesel Dude wrote:

READ the signs, do NOT just blow by them. Yes, in Florida, they may place a signboard prior to the entrance that requires RVs to stop for inspection. Usually Florida Inspection Stations are NOT part of the scales, but are located close by and operated independently of the scales.

X2: We've had to stop at the scale around mile marker 153 or so on I-10 a couple of times over the past 10 years for an RV safety inspection. We've never been asked to scale our rig. You're alerted to the pull over at the electronic truck weigh scale sign on located on the interstate. All we've ever had to do is answer a couple of questions about our rig, the officers look our truck & 5'er over externally paying attention to the truck & trailer tires, they probably run our RV & truck plates to see if they match, and then we're on our way. I think if your rig looks safe and you act like you know what you're doing and it's got current plates & registration, it's as much a nuisance for them as it is for us. Florida is the only state east of Oklahoma that we've ever encountered an RV inspection.

If there's nothing indicating RV's need to stop, keep on movin if you're a POV and not for hire.

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!!

USAF RETIRED 02/1992
DOD RETIRED 04/2014
DISPATCHER/ROUTE PLANNER WASTE MGT ATLANTIC SE REGION CENTRAL COMMERCIAL DISPATCH/GA & CAROLINAS.

D/W US GOV/DOJ/DEA RETIRED 10/2010

PULL DOG:
2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRES. 5'ER

Williamh

Southeastern Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 08:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was wondering too if the inspectors inquired abut fruits and vegetables or things of that nature.

William

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 09:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weigh stations and Ag inspection stations are two different things entirely though in some cases they might be in the same location.

Florida agricultural inspection stations are there for plant disease interdiction rather than road protection.

By Applicable Statute, passenger cars and recreational vehicles as defined here aren't automatically subject to inspection and needn't routinely stop.

HOWEVER...

Pickup trucks ARE subject to inspection unless the whole bed area is open to view! (see letter "g" in first link above)
So if one's towing with a bed cap on a pickup stopping at Ag stations is probably at least technically required...

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

rebel462

ontario canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 09:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just dove on past, no problem. 2004 Monaco Camelot towing 2008 Jeep G C in RV park PCB FLORIDA.
rebel

Williamh

Southeastern Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I didn't make myself completely clear. I really was interested in the Ag inspections moreso than the weigh station. But thanks to everyone for their help.

William

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 12:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it's an AG Inspection Station......pull in, answer the questions, move on.
If it's a 'weigh station'......move on, wave if you want to.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Florida Inspection Stations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS