RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: HENSLEY OR PROPRIDE

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

 > HENSLEY OR PROPRIDE

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
harper223

West Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 09/11/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/02/12 03:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Barney is that new paint job still holding up? I was curious after reading your thread a while back. I was actually thinking of having Line- X sprayed on mine.


"Whatever is good to know, is difficult to to learn."

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

Moderator

Joined: 10/16/2000

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/02/12 04:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, it still looks just about like it did when I finished it. I do keep it covered all the time both in storage and while out camping.

Don't get too excited about the Line-X. One of our members tried it on his wheels and it peeled off. See this thread. He posted back on my Hensley paint thread about his results. Don't know if it was a preparation problem or the product just wasn't suitable as he had not taken it back to the dealer yet for inspection.
Barney

* This post was edited 03/02/12 04:49pm by BarneyS *


2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty, 7.3L PSD
Visit our website here


Slowmover

Corpus Christi, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 11/14/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/02/12 07:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Between the two hitches the PP is the choice to make when buying new. I have a Hensley. And am having to swap "stingers" yet again (new hitch receiver, different trailer, etc) for what looks like $85 (third time) in shipping costs. With a PP I'd just re-adjust as with a conventional.

In the same way, never have been able to restore FA weight as a Hensley has no provision for "tilt" which the PP does. This is not satisfactory if there is a substitute, IMO.

There's no reason NOT to get the improved Jim Hensley designed hitch, IMO. Unless one comes across a deal on a used Hensley and doesn't mind the stinger swap problem (and expense as a non-warranted owner; that's a separate price). PP does (I'm told) sell an adjustable head for the Hensley, but check with them.

All that said there is nothing having the trailer "locked in" behind the tow vehicle.


1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 15-cpm solo, 25-cpm towing

jerem0621

Tennessee

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2009

View Profile


Online
Posted: 03/02/12 08:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

'68Monaco440HP wrote:

Between the two hitches the PP is the choice to make when buying new. I have a Hensley. And am having to swap "stingers" yet again (new hitch receiver, different trailer, etc) for what looks like $85 (third time) in shipping costs. With a PP I'd just re-adjust as with a conventional.

In the same way, never have been able to restore FA weight as a Hensley has no provision for "tilt" which the PP does. This is not satisfactory if there is a substitute, IMO.

There's no reason NOT to get the improved Jim Hensley designed hitch, IMO. Unless one comes across a deal on a used Hensley and doesn't mind the stinger swap problem (and expense as a non-warranted owner; that's a separate price). PP does (I'm told) sell an adjustable head for the Hensley, but check with them.

All that said there is nothing having the trailer "locked in" behind the tow vehicle.


This is interesting. I have thought seriously about getting a used Hensley. There are a few used hensleys on Craigslist right now for around $1000.00. Then I found out that you can transfer the Hensley lifetime warranty for $500.00 bucks. Thats incredibly ridiculous.

Have you ever heard a manufacturer say that they will only honor a warranty to a new owner if they pay 1/6 or more of the cost of the product when new to transfer the warranty. Nope they just honor it or they don't.

Reese gave me replacement parts on my dual cam for free under warranty and I was not the original owner.

I like the Hensley hitch, however the company seems to only care about the original customers not the customers that buy the products second hand.

All of my tow equipment was bought second hand. The Husky hitch was with the TT when I bought it. MyTekonsha Primus brake controller was bought used off of eBay so was my Dual-Cam sway control. I have had to deal with the companies for various reasons and ask questions, I have had nothing but positive experiences with these companies.

If I bought a used Hensley I would have to pay them $500.00 just to have the privilege of them standing behind their product. Talk about a conceited company.

I imagine Reese, Tekonsha,, and I will get along just fine without me having to pay the second hand customer tax that Hensley requires.

I am not knocking the product, I think it's a great product, the company just seems a little black hat with their attitude towards the second hand customers.

Thanks

Jeremiah


2014 Chrysler Town And Country
3.6 Pentastar V6

"It's Kind of Fun To Do The Impossible"
~Walt Disney~

57 Panhead

Foothills of the Sierra Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2010

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 03/02/12 08:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jerem0621 wrote:


This is interesting. I have thought seriously about getting a used Hensley. There are a few used hensleys on Craigslist right now for around $1000.00. Then I found out that you can transfer the Hensley lifetime warranty for $500.00 bucks. Thats incredibly ridiculous.

Have you ever heard a manufacturer say that they will only honor a warranty to a new owner if they pay 1/6 or more of the cost of the product when new to transfer the warranty. Nope they just honor it or they don't.

Reese gave me replacement parts on my dual cam for free under warranty and I was not the original owner.

I like the Hensley hitch, however the company seems to only care about the original customers not the customers that buy the products second hand.

All of my tow equipment was bought second hand. The Husky hitch was with the TT when I bought it. MyTekonsha Primus brake controller was bought used off of eBay so was my Dual-Cam sway control. I have had to deal with the companies for various reasons and ask questions, I have had nothing but positive experiences with these companies.

If I bought a used Hensley I would have to pay them $500.00 just to have the privilege of them standing behind their product. Talk about a conceited company.

I imagine Reese, Tekonsha,, and I will get along just fine without me having to pay the second hand customer tax that Hensley requires.

I am not knocking the product, I think it's a great product, the company just seems a little black hat with their attitude towards the second hand customers.

Thanks

Jeremiah


I just sold my ProPride because we bought a 5er and no longer needed it. I know that the warranty can be transferred I just don't know what the cost is. I can tell you that I don't think Sean would charge anything near that.

There are ProPrides out there for sale used, if you are patient and do a nationwide Craigslist search and look around some of the forums that have "For Sale" sections you may find one at a great price.

Steve


Retired Teamster
2012 Jayco Eagle Superlite 31.5RLTS
07 F250 PowerStroke
U Y B


Ogordont

Corvallis, OR

Full Member

Joined: 02/24/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/02/12 11:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are two remanufactured ones on Ebay right now with warranty for about $2K.


Gordon--Arctic Fox 30U-2010--ProPride Hitch--Prodigy.
Ret.Navy(22yrs)Capt./Aviator--Civ.Atty.(28yrs).
F-350,03Diesel 4X4-SB-CC-SRW.
Collect old camping/Mil.stoves.--Infinium Metal Loc.--Rockhound.
Corvallis, Oregon--GO BEAVERS!!

dewatkins

Dallas Texas

Full Member

Joined: 11/22/2011

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 03/03/12 11:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ogordont wrote:

There are two remanufactured ones on Ebay right now with warranty for about $2K.


Yes but when I asked him for a 2 1/2 receiver, which Ford in their wisdom is now putting on their trucks, he said yes for another $200 plus $210 for shipping and I bought a new one from ProPride for $2440 with the bigger receiver and shipping and with a lifetime warranty not a 60 day one for $30 more he gave me a special pre-order discount of $250 because I did not need it shipped out yesterday, he is shipping it by 3/16 so I wait 2 weeks for the discount. I just hope and pray it does what it is supposed to do with my trailer sway.

Ron Gratz

full time RVer

Senior Member

Joined: 12/27/2003

View Profile



Posted: 03/03/12 12:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dewatkins wrote:

---I just hope and pray it does what it is supposed to do with my trailer sway.
An expensive sway control hitch should not be used as a "band-aid" to cover up a chronic sway problem.

You should first identify and eliminate the cause of the sway.
Then, if you want to spend the extra money for some additional protection against sway, that's your choice.

In other threads, you've stated the trailer's tongue weight is around 1,100# and the trailer's weight, with no water, is around 11,400#.
This means you are towing with a tongue weight percentage of less than 10%.

Your 36' trailer might require a tongue weight percentage of 15% or greater for proper stability against sway.
I suggest you look for ways to eliminate weight from the rear end of the trailer and/or move some weight from the rear end to the front end.

There are many factor which can contribute to trailer sway.
But, if I had a 36' trailer with a TW% of less than 10%, the first think I'd do is look for ways to increase that percentage.

And, I'd also want to measure the TV's front axle loads,
both for unhitched and hitched with WD applied,
to know if the WDH was properly adjusted.

Ron

Wills250psd

walnutcove NC

Senior Member

Joined: 08/13/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/03/12 12:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I cant believe my thread is still going, I made up. my mind and got the DW to approve the propride I will be calling sean the first of the week and placing my order. I am going camping on a short trip the 23-25 and a 5 day trip to ocean lakes for easter. I hope it works as promised but I have only got positive feedback. so my current setup and my previous 5er hitch will go on craigslist.will

Ron Gratz

full time RVer

Senior Member

Joined: 12/27/2003

View Profile



Posted: 03/03/12 03:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a nearly concurrent thread on the same topic on a different forum:

Hensley Arrow vs. Propride 3P

And a related one on a third forum:

ProPride stinger weld failure

Ron

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

 > HENSLEY OR PROPRIDE
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS