|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
rvviaje

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 29bhs Laredo 2010 TT. I want to add a second AC. That trailer has only one vent very close to the Air conditioner so I think I have to open a new hole in the roof , maybe over the master bedroom. How can I remove the ceiling to check for the best position?
I want to run a cable through the walls, so i can connect the new ac to a 20amp line of the rv park. If all the project is too difficult maybe I can buy a portable AC. Does anybody has experience with those?

Thanks

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 11:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you are wired for a second AC it is going to be a night mare to attempt to do. Getting wire from the AC unit to ground level of the trailer is going to require you to open up the walls so you can drill holes to run the wire through the studs. That's, just for starters. Then opening up the ceiling so you can brace for the 14X14 opening and the weight of the AC unit is another major project. IMHO I would say forget it.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
Resident Dummy.

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 11:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call Keystone with the RV's VIN number and ask for a wiring schematic and roof blueprints. Chances are there is already wiring up there and bracing for a 2nd roof A/C...as often it is a dealer installed option.

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 11:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if it is a dealer install option, then there would be a vent already isntalled

Wills250psd

walnutcove NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

X2 but it is doable if your handy.

eHoefler

ozark mountains

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

X3

The roof is most likely not re-enforced for the added weight of the A/C.

2010 Ram 3500, Crew Cab, Long bed, 4 x 4,Dually, Lights & Siren!

2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

railrode1

Charleston, S.C.

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 06:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only reinforcement in mine was 2x4 blocking in all sides of the vent opening. This is so the A/C could compress the inside and outside of the roof to seal. Other than that, the trusses were the same. Most trusses are spaced for an 14x14 inch opening, in between.

2009 Sandpiper 345QB 39'
2011 F-250 Lariat CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel

Retired JSO

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a vent already installed, it will be easy.

I installed a second A/C in my fifthwheel a few years back. Just removed a vent in the bedroom and in she went. The vent happened to be framed so the worst problem was done. I ran the wire from the A/C down into an adjacent closet then into a GE plastic electric box with a 20 amp breaker. I continued with 10-3 cable from the box down into the basement then through conduit to the driver side. I terminated the cable in a flush mount male 15 amp water proof receptacle and box. When I get to any campground, I can hook up my 12-3, 25' extension cord to the campground pedestal 20 amp and run the front A/C and the 30 amp shore cord runs the 15,000 main unit.
I have since installed 2 additional duplex receptacles in the bedroom area to an additional ground fault breaker in that same GE box. I can run an additional 1500 watt heater up there during the winter without taxing the 30 amp service.

BillB800si

S.E. MICHIGAN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 08:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most modern 5th wheelers are already prep'ed for a 2nd air conditioner. Some trailers are if there's an existing vent up there.If there's a vent then remove the flange and see if theres' 120 volt wiring to the area.. Otherwise you're in for some structural/electrical modifications. How about upgrading your existing air conditioner to a 15,000 BTU unit? If you already have a 15,000 BTU unit maybe you need the freon checked. The air coming out should be ice cold..
Good luck...

Bill B. (Michigan)
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 MegaCab CTD
2014 Keystone Cougar High Country 321RES trailer

jyh818

Chino, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 12:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tried the portable AC unit once. It does the job, but you'll need to have an exhaust port to blow out the hot air.

We were in Vegas in July with 117 degrees. With both AC blasting, inside was a balmy 96 degrees. It did say that it'll cool it down 20 degrees from the outside...which it did, but it was still too hot.

2002 Ford Excursion XLT 6.8L V-10 2WD, 4.30 Limited Slip
Rear Hellwig Sway Bar
2009 Skyline Nomad 260
Prodigy Brake Controller
EAZ-Lift WD Hitch

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS