|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Refueling Issues: Size Matters

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jojolou

S. E. Michigan & Mission, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 06:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oakman wrote:

Back when I was towing with a gasser I would start looking for exits along the highway that had two or more gas stations available. Of course that’s no guarantee of ease of use. I had a couple of occasions where I had to have my wife spot me as I pulled away from the pumps.

My opinion of course, but if you’re not nervous about pulling into the gasoline fuel islands at a station, then you are an accident waiting to happen. Being nonchalant leads to inattentiveness. Of course you should be nervous about pulling a 50 rig into a fuel island designed for automobiles. I was always nervous pulling into the regular islands at filling stations.

Years ago these forums were nothing but helpful and encouraging, but over the past years this has been changing. There have already been three people express the opinion that if your nervous about pulling into a filling station then you shouldn’t be driving. How helpful is that?
x2! Driving a gas coach with a toad is more difficult than a truck with a fiver because you can't back up.

Lou
2008 Allegro Bay 35 TSB W-25.5

silvercorvette

Anderson SC

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing I missed on first read was you are driving a gasser.

An extra fuel tank is harder to find for gas than diesel but if you look you can find them.

Owning a larger tank will allow you to pick and choose where and when you want to stop and allow you to bypass stations you don't feel comfortable with, and you can fill up when you see cheap gas (the savings in gas won't offset the cost of the tank but I am looking into a spare tank for reasons other than saving money. I am switching to a 5th from a T/C and on my last trip to NY in a car I noticed that it will be difficult to fuel up in stations on Long Island that are in or near NY city but things get better the further east you go on L.I having those extra gallons will help things a lot for my situation.

The down side is it may cut your MPGs by a small amount it you may accelerate / decelerate slower your vehicle may have trouble handling corners and exit ramps due to the extra weight and gasoline gets stale more quickly than diesel so don't fill the spare tank unless you are traveling,

A little off topic but it bothers me to read some of the comments concerning older people. Unless we die young we will all eventually get old someday and the fact that some people have suggested that you give up doing something you love because you have a problem maneuvering in SOME gas stations is disrespectful to people that have worked hard in their youth and now want to enjoy the fruit of their labor in their retirement.

As long as you aren't a hazard to yourself and others keep on keeping on.

I started camping in the early 1980s then stopped for a long time. I started back up because it is the only way I can travel long distances because my health problems require me to stop frequently, and stopping at a motel every couple hundred miles is expensive and does not allow you to cover much ground in one day. But owning a motel room I can tow behind me allows me to stop and take frequent breaks and naps the get back in and drive some more. The fact I stop and rest more often makes me a safer driver.

We all loose some of our strength, stamina and abilities but there are many ways to compensate. It is far better to make adjustments in the way we drive then to sit home in a rocking chair (Like some people think you should do) and stare out the window

2010 Dodge 409 CI diesel long bed dually crew cab B&W hitch, 95 Gallon Auxiliary Transfer Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER , Central vac, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, Rotochoks, TST Tire monitor.

DoubleEagle

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tsetsaf wrote:

With our rig we are tall and long. I found the best method for us was to preplan the route including fuel stops. I know our max range is 360 per tank with 1 gallon to spare. So I plan on filling up every 300 miles. using my route plan on google maps I get an idea of the nearest towns to my 300 mile number. I then use one of the fuel price info websites to figure out the best priced stations. Finally I enter that stations address into Google maps and click street view. This allows me to see approach, exit, height et al. Worst case I call the station and ask. First time I did this it blew my wife away; saved all the stress of trying to find a station while driving. She was really impressed when I passed up a station to turn down a neighborhood to enter the rear entrance lining us up perfect to fill and leave.

This is exactly what I do. It may be overkill to some, but it works for me.

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4X4 VortecMax
6.0L V8 (367 HP, 375 Torque), 4.10, HD 4 Spd Auto Tranny (4l70e)

2009 Jayco Jayflight G2 27BH

Oakman

MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 02:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think anyone has mentioned Flying J truck stops. I looked for them when I had a gasser and I still do with my diesel because they have fuel islands designated for RV's only. Those RV islands offer both gasoline and diesel fuel. Easy in and easy out, that's what I like.

As others have said, the NEXT EXIT is a great resourse but only if you're using Interstate highways, it won't do you much good on state or county roads.

Just take it slow and check your mirrors going in and out of the filling stations and I'm sure you will be fine.

2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab, 4X4, Shortbed, 6.4 Diesel
Reese 16K Kwik Slide
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
Honda 2000i generator
TomTom 540S XL GPS

hone eagle

essex ontario canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oakman wrote:

I don't think anyone has mentioned Flying J truck stops. I looked for them when I had a gasser and I still do with my diesel because they have fuel islands designated for RV's only. Those RV islands offer both gasoline and diesel fuel. Easy in and easy out, that's what I like.

As others have said, the NEXT EXIT is a great resourse but only if you're using Interstate highways, it won't do you much good on state or county roads.

Just take it slow and check your mirrors going in and out of the filling stations and I'm sure you will be fine.

Not only that the RV card lets you 'start the pump ' and the limit is $495 .00
so no mulitple swiping no leaving a card with a clerk. Pump , pull up and pay.

2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
maxbrake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

cekkk

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 03:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This may have come up in the five pages of replies, but Flying J ticked me off last summer, at lease in Wyoming. Twice I drove into their fairly new, I'd been there and not seen them before - RV filling areas, separate from the truckers' diesel pumps.

It looked good at first site. Clean, right off the regular car pumps.
They had diesel and, I believe I recall gas pumps too. But the lane was curbed on both sides with a sharp turn to exit, a turn the was pretty tight for the dually and way too tight for our 36 feet of trailer, forcing me to climb over the curb. Not very thoughtful of Flying J and they've lost me as a customer unless I'm allowed to use the truck area. I'll call them and ask. But they could put up a cautionary sign for long rigs before you get trapped. It's hard to back out with two or three rigs behind you.

In the little bit I did read on page 1 I thought getting on somebody's case about being a bit nervous about getting into a filling station was harsh. To paraphrase Bill Cosby, I started out as a Newbie. Anybody who charged forward with no nervousness the first few times out of the box just wasn't paying attention to the vagaries of life. I've driven cars, rode motorcycles, flown planes,
piloted boats and now pull trailers. Concern and even nervousness is normal. Just my bias.

'11 Eagle 320RLDS
Equalizer WDH
'02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD, PacBrake,
6.0 cooler, Ford AIS, Isspro trans. gauge
Flashpaq tuner, AirLift airbags
2013 Ford Expedition King Ranch

wbwood

Lake Norman, NC area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 03:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When my truck gauge reads less than 100 miles to empty, I start looking. That 100 miles will go fast, lol. I normally look for big places like travel centers or truck stops. Sometimes you just got squeeze it in there. I usually will keep an eye out for the big billboard signs for places to get gas. We also have smart phones and you download apps for the big truck stop places like Flying J. So it will kind of let you know where things are.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Just Bob

SD/CT/FL/WY

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 04:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cekkk wrote:

Not very thoughtful of Flying J and they've lost me as a customer unless I'm allowed to use the truck area.
You most certainly are welcome to use the truck pumps.

Pump your fuel, pull ahead so the guy behind you can pull in, and go inside and pay.

resmas

temporarily displaced Alaskan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 06:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anybody EVER been told to leave when using the "truck" side of the truck stops? Ever?

In 20+ years of hauling something behind me, I have ALWAYS used the truck side, and never once had a bad encounter. Nobody has ever been rude, nobody has ever told me not to do it again.

Heck, we even get the "freebies" the truckers get if we meet a certain sale in fuel.

I much prefer using truck stops, but then again, I have been towing with a diesel vehicle for a long time. If I had a gasser, I am not sure what I would do...

2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

koda55

Jacksonville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 35 ft gasser and a toad that we always take with us. When I plan my trip I also plan my fuel stops. I have the trucker fuel directory or use the Pilot/FlyingJ fuel site on the web. The truck driver directory also has fuel stops on other than interstates that truckers use. I have never had any problems getting into or out of fuel stops that I preplan to use.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Refueling Issues: Size Matters
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS