|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Used RV's Increased in value

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lug_Nut

British Columbia, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 01:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, for all the nay sayers out there, prices are going up. The wholesale value isn't established by cousin Eddy's coach search. It is determined by the average price attained from wholesale auctions which is reported and set by Begg's Black Book. An increase is normal in the spring, however this is a higher jump than would usually be seen.

'07 Newmar Essex 45' ISM 500 4 slides

Just Bob

SD/CT/FL/WY

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 06:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dp4me wrote:

I don't know guys. NADA is a guide only, certainly not real world pricing. I've been looking for a friend the last few months for a late model diesel. He's looking at coaches $180K and up such as Monaco Signature, Executive, Newmar Essex, Country Coach Magna, Intrigue and the like and I can assure you on these type of coaches the prices are certainly not going up in price. They are only depreciating as expected. Most of these type of coaches are selling around 20% + back of wholesale from my research and contacts.
All I know about pricing is that my dealer offered me $25,000 more than I paid for it. He has a waiting list for 45' motorhomes.

eadeal55

Suffolk VA

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 07:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would also think that supply and demand are driving up RV prices, just like used car/truck/suv prices are up due to the "cash for clunkers" program in 2009 that took millions of older vehicles off the road.

There was probably not a lot of RVs made in the 2008 and 2009 model years, when according to some industry publications, more than 100 RV manfacturers went bankrupt or out of business.

I'm excited that my Bounder might be worth more in a future sale/trade than it is now. I recently did an internet search for my Bounder year/model and found about 8 of them with an average price of about $52K, which is half of original retail in 2005.

Andy & Lee, plus the furry kids Bella and Molly
'05 Fleetwood Bounder 33R, F53 w/6.8L V10...towing a
'07 Chevy HHR LT2 w/2.4L EcoTec,
Blue Ox Aventa LX, Brake Buddy Classic
FMCA #F359977 - Colonial Virginians, President 2012-14

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Happy news but there's a dark side. Since I am not currently planning to sell my coach this really isn't good news. A book value increase also causes a corresponding increase in local taxes/registration and insurance.

2006 Hurricane 31D aka 'Moby' the Whale
FCC(SW) US Navy Retired 1980-2003
Stella my Navigator
Bogart the All American RV Dog
and
Cocoui waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge

Mr.Mark

California/Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dale.Traveling wrote:

Happy news but there's a dark side. Since I am not currently planning to sell my coach this really isn't good news. A book value increase also causes a corresponding increase in local taxes/registration and insurance.

That's the nice thing about TN, a Prevost and Winnebago pay the same tag renewal fee....somewhere between $65-$105 depending on which county you live in.

MM.

Mr.Mark
2013 Honda CR-V EXL, AWD, w/Nav, SMI Air Force One vacuum-assisted braking
2015 Liberty Class A (45 ft.)

joe b.

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 08:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't plan to get too excited over a one month increase in wholesale prices. If it does it for the rest of the year, perhaps then it will be of significance to most of us.
As a rule of thumb, I have always figured a 5 year old motorhome is worth about half of what it sold for new. If a new one in 2007 had a MSRP on it of $400,000, it probably sold for about 25% off or an out the door price of $300,000. So 5 years later it is now worth $150,000 on the market. A depreciation of $150,000 for the 5 years or $30,000 a year loss in depreciation. A $2,500 a month loss. So instead of losing $30,000 for this 5th year, we are only going to lose about $26,000 in depreciation if the wholesale price stays up. The RV market has never been "good" as an investment/asset, IMHO. We do it for the fun and to keep our kids from just wasting our money as an inheritance. LOL Until people get back to work, get their home mortgages squared away and start spending again, the RV sells are going to remain tough to accomplish. To compare month to month wholesale prices on RVs you would really have to look at how low were they the previous month. They may be, probably are, way below what they were selling for, as a percent of selling price, 3 to 5 years ago.

joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2011 Chevy 3500 DRW Dmax CC 4X4- Rockwood 8281 SS 5th Whl & 2008 Lance 845 TC
www.pajbcooper.com web site
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lug_Nut wrote:

Wholesale Blue Book prices on used RV's jumped 4.5% for motor coaches and 2% on trailers for February over January. So, all of us had an increase in our asset.

Great! Soon my RV will only be depreciating as fast as my house.

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 08:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of course Blue Book value does not include any sales by private owners through eBay, Craigslist, or any of the other means of selling a coach without it being reported to the Blue Book. I look at their prices as being about as accurate as Car Fax, which relies on reported damage, etc. RV's are worth what someone is willing to pay and what the seller will accept.

On the plus side however, the fuel that I put in my tank three weeks ago is worth about 10% more today.

Dog Trainer

Richmond Mi.

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't see any sustained price increase untill the price of fuel is better known. With the speculation of increases abouve the $5.00 mark the used price may fall. I guess it is a wait and see thing.

93 Airstream 35' Dp
5.9 230 uprated to 300 HP
Allison MD 3060
Shadow 12 yr old Golden Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles (fur Bearing Children) Duchess my Golden daddys little girl at the Rainbow bridge since 4/12

peaches&cream

Northwest Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well Lug Nut. That will teach you to post some positive news. More people telling you why it is not facts than positive ones saying they are happy too have something of greater value.

I do appreciate the good news and hope the MH continues to increase each mo. Mine is not for sale but it maybe in the future.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Used RV's Increased in value
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS