|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Hijacking (Shooting) on Toll Road Near Minatitlan

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Sponsored By:
crandle

Campbell River, BC, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple from Alaska were held up on the toll road Wednesday, probably 180D or 145D, one hour out of La Venta (west of Villahermosa). Both their computers were stolen and they asked us to post their story. We met these people in Chetumal and I have no doubts about their story. They are driving a truck and (older) camper.

Hola dear friends,

Yesterday, about one hour after leaving campground, Rancho Hermanos Graham at Aqua Dulce, we were robbed on the highway. Driving along, a white VW suddenly passed us on the left and pulled immediately in front of us. We just thought they were crazy drivers. Frank tried to avoid a collision which looked imminent. However, they pulled in front again and while doing so, a gunman fired a shot aimed at Frank. It barely missed him, went through the windshield and hit the ceiling of the inside of the truck in the back. In fact, today, we got the bullet which looks like a 45. They forced us to the side, two gunmen got in and forced us into back seat with our dog Missy. We drove frantically up and down highways unknown to us. Then they pulled over, took me out of the truck and put me in their car with two banditos, while two banditos stayed with Frank in our truck. We then separated and drove up-down and who knows where for approx one hour. They had taken our bank cards and were taking me to bank machines, but, you won't believe this, I couldn't get money. The reason, which I figured out the next day was because I was using wrong password for wrong card. Eventually, they got $10,000 pesos and drove back to where Frank was. They stole both our computers, our two cell phones, one mp3 player, etc. We are at an internet cafe in Cholula right now. We stayed in hotel last night and also tonight. It was terrifying, and hope you guys can notify all website-facebook sites that need to know! Please. We have no internet addresses. Yours was in my purse. We are heading north to the USA.

We would appreciate it if you would let people know. We were on a Cuota, by the way. We wonder if perhaps we were set up. There were some people staying in a palapa at the campground mentioned above. We are terrified.

Great to meet you and sorry to contact you with sad news.

Cheryl and Frankie

* Edited by crandle to fix punctuation errors resulting from using Spanish keyboard at internet cafe.

* This post was last edited 03/08/12 09:35am by crandle *   View edit history

My Mexico Blog

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 08:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hard to believe, as according to all the northern folks in Mexico, RVers are NOT a target and are safer than ever.......Yep, I find this hard to believe.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ the Rzr or ACE or a Quad riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

crandle

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I said, we spent two days with these people. We have their business card and she is/was a council member of her town in Alaska. I am usually very cautious when hearing second party stories as well but I have no doubts in this case.

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assume they gave license number of the bandit's vehicle to local police.

At least the vehicle/licence should be easy for the police to trace.

Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
EX: 1993 Foretravel 36' U-240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

five'er

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow.. Would you beleive that I watched a TV show once about a family in an RV in Mexico where those exact events took place? The family in that story were pulling a fifth wheel or something.. I seem to recall a family of four in that case.. I think it was that "Lucky to be alive" or something similar..

Here is a similar thread..

Click

* This post was edited 03/08/12 08:38am by five'er *

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 08:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope they reported it. If they were on a toll road they had insurance. Do you know if they called and reported it? What time of day did this happen?

Thanks for posting this. Times have changed.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

hacienda contreras

Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 09:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is extremely sad that times have come to this, no matter where in the world it happens. It just makes us who know and love and live in Mexico feel so much worse when it happens here.

* This post was edited 03/08/12 10:19am by an administrator/moderator *

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 09:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"One" does not make a target.

winkyb

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I say stay out of Mexico.It is not safe even if not set up.To many other places to see with out getting shot at or robed.Or getting shot buy being around a drug fight just being in the wrong place.

crandle

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

These folks were in a truck and small, older camper on a toll road. They do not stand out as "Rich Gringos". I hope the moderators, if they feel it necessary, will just remove individual posts they find to be offensive and leave the topic here. Thanks.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Hijacking (Shooting) on Toll Road Near Minatitlan
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS