RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Fiberglass or aluminum exterior?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Fiberglass or aluminum exterior?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lowsuv

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 08:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aluminum sided trailers are lighter.
This is not a guess.
In 2002 Komfort offered the choice, Nash offered the choice, and in both cases the aluminum sided models were 300 to 400 # lighter.
I stayed with Aluminum but paid extra for the optional Foam Insulation package and so-called dual pane windows.
I stopped waxing my 2002 Komfort about 7 years ago.
It still looks really good because I wash it every time after I use it and I keep it under cover.

Husker Jerry

O'Neill, Nebraska

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 08:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you live or travel in areas that are prone to hail, fiberglass is the choice. Season before last a hailstorm hit the campground I was at. I collected nearly $7,000 hail damage to my tow vehicle. The only damage to the trailer was several roof vent covers & caps over untility vents.

2001 Ford Excursion V 10
2003 Jayco Designer 31FKS
Twin Honda Eu2000 gen sets

ata3001

Niagara Falls, NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 08:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aluminum. Had both. My fiberglass one delaminated on the front. Had my aluminum TT 4 yrs now & not a ding in sight. I also don't live in an area that sees much hail. I have a buddy of mine with a fiberglass one & his is now delaminating on the front & that is on a 1 yr old TT. My 4 yr old aluminum TT also shines like it did when new. My fiberglass TT I used to have got rather dull looking after it's first year.

Ron & BJ
2008 Dutchmen Freedom Spirit FS180 (24 FT) w/full factory dark tinted glass & front window
2007 Dodge Ram 4 WD, Quad Cab, Big Horn Edition, 5.7L Hemi w/tow pkg, 3.92 LSD, Prodigy

wbwood

Mooresville/Troutman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 10:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Going on our 3rd year with ours and its fiberglass. It was a personal preference to us as we do not like the look of the aluminum siding. We've see a lot of patched aluminum trailers, but yet have yet to see any delamination fiberglass ones. We also go an extended warranty on ours, so if it does it in the first 6 years, then we are covered.

As someone mentioned, fiberglass is heavier also. I think the dealer said our 31' trailer was in the neighborhood of 700-800 heavier than one without it. Not sure if his numbers are correct. But our trailer has a dry weight of over 7500lbs, so it might be true...lol

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

doxiluvr

Tucson-AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 10:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have aluminum and it still looks brand new. But when we decide to get a new trailer it may be fibreglass. Each has their own pluses and minuses. It's the floorplan and interior livability I am more interested in and the quality of the manufacturing.

2006 Keystone Sprinter 300fkms
2007 Silverado 2500 Duramax Diesel 6.6 - Allison 1000 6 spd. auto. tran.
1 high school sweetheart hubby - 1 mini-dachshund/Chihuahua - Abby
4 grown kids, 6 grandkids, 1 great-grandchild
1 2007 Yamaha v-Star 1300

TimOnTheRoad

Colorado-Maine

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 11:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My last TT was a Fun Finder X160 that was fiberglass, after seeing what the sun did to the FG after 4 years of the sun beating down on it...it delaminated on the front right corner of the roof, I went with Alum on my new Coachman 27FBCK TT, so far I like it much better...now maybe in a few years I will think differently but so far so good, 6 months of the AZ sun on it and still looks brand new...driving 3000 miles to maine in a few weeks, I will see if I end up with any dents from rocks on the way....

mike54

Crystal Lake,IL. GO BEARS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 03:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

had both and I just like fiberglass better I think it looks better & it is easier to clean and wax

Mike & Marsha
West Allis Sunshiners
2007 Montana 3500rl
2005 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins diesel

TURBODOG1000

INDY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 05:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the look of fiberglass, but just a good look around the campgrounds of Indiana, approx 40% of the 4 year and older units have some kind of delam, almost always start in the same few places.

1. Clearance lights
2. Roof corners
3. Windows

My TT just happens to be alumunum, we liked the floorplan, and yes we have some road dents in the front, a look at my sig shows that we have dragged it around a bit. We keep it under a carport with a good wax once a year and she still shines almost like new, dents and all.

* This post was last edited 03/10/12 12:05pm by TURBODOG1000 *   View edit history

2005 F150 XLT Supercab LB Heavy Payload 5.4, 4.10
2007 Jayco Jayflight 31BHDS
Back-up camera on the TT with infrared & microphone
Prodigy
ScanGauge II
Reese duel cam hitch, U-bolt style ($40 at a garage sale)
2 canoes, 3 kayaks, & camping dog (Tootsie)

smokedummy

McLennan County Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 08:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone use corrugated fiberglass panels anymore? Looks like aluminum and is not bonded construction, so no delamination. My father-in-law had an old Midas class C made this way. I thought it was aluminum until I rapped the side and figured out it was fiberglass panels.

* This post was edited 03/10/12 09:00am by smokedummy *

travel pics etc
2012 Skyline Mountain View Retro 140, 16'.

atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 10:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally I prefer aluminum, but am not someone that is a stickler for keeping the outside of the trailer clean. That said, it seems like very few of the lightweight trailers have aluminum skins, so mine is fiberglass.

smokedummy wrote:

Does anyone use corrugated fiberglass panels anymore? Looks like aluminum and is not bonded construction, so no delamination. My father-in-law had an old Midas class C made this way. I thought it was aluminum until I rapped the side and figured out it was fiberglass panels.

I'm not trying to argue or anything, just am curious. What would be the advantage? Fiberglass is heavier than aluminum, and it being corrugated, it wouldn't be any easier to clean ...

2009 Trail-Sport TS21RBH
2008 Toyota Sienna

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Fiberglass or aluminum exterior?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: