|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Hensley Arrow advice

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Procrastinator

Southern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/12 03:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After hours and hours of research I decided I was going to buy a projected pivot tow system. After months of searching for a deal, I purchased a used HA for $200.00. It is still intact, but has seen better days. Some paint peeling, surface rust, needs bearing(s), and a few small parts ( cleavis pin/ ubolt). I know these hitches are stout and I am mechanicallly inclined. I read various posts last night about other campers rebuilding/painting theirs so I know I can do it.

I would like to ask a favor from any HA owner though. Could you pm or email me. I would also like to speak to a human on the telephone and try to get anymore advice before I start this task.

If there is anyone in the St. Louis MO area that has one and is willing to let me come look at yours, I would like to see yours in person just to get a better understanding maybe some photos.

Thanks for any help

Procrastinator

2003 Ford Excursion 7.3 diesel

1984 Avion 34W triple axle no slide

Husband, wife, a boy, a girl, and two great danes.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/12 04:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Hensley hitch is very easy to rebuild. I did mine last winter and posted the process, complete with pictures, here. I am sure that it will give you some help.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty, 7.3L PSD
Visit our website here

Slowmover

Corpus Christi, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 08:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Past Barney's rebuild, the best overall thread on the web on the Arrow is The Ultimate HAHA Users Guide

What you've read and the two links will cover all of it.

The AIR forum has a few other AVION owners and -- I think at least one of them with the stub axle type as you have -- also with a VPP hitch.

Getting the trailer "centered" behind the truck was the hardest part for me (as adjustments side-to-side were never mirror images on, now, two trailers).

1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 15-cpm solo, 25-cpm towing

BurbMan

Louisville, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/12 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a 10-yr HA owner in Louisville. Call me (Don) anytime 631-404-0131 I can send pics if you need. I just had mine off for a spring refresh and is back in service again. Let me know what you need help with.

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

man, how come I can never seem to find a 200$ HAHA. I would change if I could find one that cheap.

I do have a question... if a used HaHa doesn't have the correct wd bars does the HaHa use standard reese round bars? They look a lot like standard reese dual cam bars.

op great buy! and good luck!

ps. thanks for the above links.

jeremiah

* This post was edited 03/20/12 08:51pm by jerem0621 *

2014 Chrysler Town And Country
3.6 Pentastar V6

"It's Kind of Fun To Do The Impossible"
~Walt Disney~

Procrastinator

Southern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/12 09:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the information. I had already read Barneys, AIR, and one other rebuild posts. Very helpful but I always want more infomation. The complete guide to HaHa is going to take some time but I think it will do the trick nicely.

As for my rebuild...taking it apart was really easy. Very simple and sturdy construction. Removingthe powdercoating no so easy. My sand blast cabinet would not touch it. I ended up having a professional strip the main units. FYI permetex gasket remover will soften and remove most powdercoatings. I have most of the stuts painted and waiting for clear coats. The main units are just starting their primer coats. I spent about $400 for parts and improvements Monday. So in about two weeks I will have it all done pretty and working.

Thanks again procrastinator

Procrastinator

Southern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/12 06:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I got it figured out. I got a set of Federal Mogul/ MOOG grease seals. The DO NOT fit. I went to local trailer lot and picked up two (all they had) and they are a just a little smaller in diameter, do not have a "rolled" end, and the tip is tapered to get them started. So... basically, I blew 22 bucks on the Federal Mogul/ MOOG ones. Going to pick up another set tomorrow and my Hensley will be rebuilt.

Next, moving propane tanks and the intallation on the trailer.

* This post was edited 03/28/12 09:09am by Procrastinator *

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 08:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Procrastinator wrote:

Well, I got it figured out. I got a set of Federal Mogol grease seals. The DO NOT fit. I went to local trailer lot and picked up two (all they had) and they are a just a little smaller in diameter, do not have a "rolled" end, and the tip is tapered to get them started. So... basically, I blew 22 bucks on the Federal Mogol ones. Going to pick up another set tomorrow and my Hensley will be rebuilt.

Next, moving propane tanks and the intallation on the trailer.

Keep us posted on your progress. Sounds like you've got a very nice project going.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 04:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same number I had. I used Timken but the number on the package is the same. I didn't have any trouble getting them in. I set them in the opening slightly at an angle, then tapped lightly on the higher side with a slight downward/sideways tap. Once I got the seal started I just tapped it down in a circuler motion till it was set flush. I was wondering if I was going to have trouble also since I had read a few reports of people having probs.

Procrastinator

Southern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/12 02:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, I got all my parts sandblasted, painted, and now I am putting it all back together but I have a problem.

I know the bearing/grease seals are tight, but so far I have bent 3 out of the 4 seals. not even close to going in. What is wrong? My seals are about 35000th's bigger than the bore they are going into. I know you set them tap with wood flat no dice. Borrowed a buddy's grease seal install tool. Same thing. Shoved two in the freezer. Same thing. Called Hensley they thought they were just standard seals and he did not know a party number off hand.

I found the grease seals from the links online here. Here is what I am using:

National 473336

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Hensley Arrow advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS