RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Redwood quality?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Redwood quality?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BraamRW

Raleigh, NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 06:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchased a 2012 Redwood 36RL Oct 1, 2012 and have been living it full time ever since. Pulled it approximately 9000 miles plus over back roads and interstate. The only problems I have had is the the thermostate for the electric part of the hot water heater and the plastic flip seal on the left door of the refrigerator. Other than those 2 minor items this is the most enjoyable full featured fifth wheel I have owned. My choice was between the Carriage Cameo and the Redwood. Choose this one and never looked back. I am extremely pleased the quality, fit and finish of this unit. Including the frame, hydrolics, and axels. I did swap my 17.5" rims and tires from the old unit for the 16" on the Redwood.

kfdray

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for the hopeful note. My action item list has reached 9 items...

Dave & Ginny

peoria, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/12 09:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just toured the factory yesterday and although I was convinced before the tour...WOW! I got to slowly walk by each build station and I asked many..many questions. They really build a great unit. One of the employees said in the parking lot that he's worked at many of the Rv plants and this is the only one that has stressed quality and not quantity. They only make 6 a day.

sub floor is plywood and all the wood inside of it is real cherry and plastic.

Beauty and the Beast
2012 F350 4x4 Tuned,Kelderman air ride
2012 Redwood 36RL slid-in-slide

kfdray

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/12 11:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you ask if therre are issues with hauling the rig with a full water tank or were there any other interesting points about construction/durability you would care to share?

Dave & Ginny

peoria, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/12 12:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kfdray wrote:

Did you ask if therre are issues with hauling the rig with a full water tank or were there any other interesting points about construction/durability you would care to share?

The only thing that I would worry about is that the 104 gal. fresh water tank in in the basement so if that was full it would add a lot of weight to your pin weight. If you have a truck that can handle the extra weight ...then you'd be fine. I think some of that weight will still be carried by the trailer axles but I don't know how much.

Dave & Ginny

peoria, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/12 07:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Duck wrote:

Just looked at the Redwoods today and their quality is not as good as the Carriage. Just do not like all of the running gear being made by Lippert.
Don

There only a couple of RV's out there without the Lippert running gear. I toured the factory and looked real close at the frames because of all I've read on this forum about them. They said that Lippert gave them a great proposal so they went with them. Otherwize they were going to build their own. They said that so far they haven't had a single issue with the frames.

kfdray

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 11:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave & Ginny wrote:

Duck wrote:

Just looked at the Redwoods today and their quality is not as good as the Carriage. Just do not like all of the running gear being made by Lippert.
Don

There only a couple of RV's out there without the Lippert running gear. I toured the factory and looked real close at the frames because of all I've read on this forum about them. They said that Lippert gave them a great proposal so they went with them. Otherwize they were going to build their own. They said that so far they haven't had a single issue with the frames.

Excel uses Mor-Ryde suspension with 7000 or 8000 lb. axles depending on the size of the rig. Is the Mor-Ryde system that much better than what Lippert uses?

KR2011

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 11:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are the same design redwwood and lippert uses the trail air equaflex suspension system

* This post was edited 03/30/12 09:42am by KR2011 *

[b]2011 F350 DRW 4 corner air ride 2006 Montana 3650RK 2012 Redwood 36FL on order

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

Duck

Miami Lakes, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/12 05:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave & Ginny wrote:

Duck wrote:

Don

I know that it is hard to get away from a Lippert frame but it is easy to find Dexter wheels, brakes, and bearings and MorRyde pin box.
Don

08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL

Dustytuu

Somewhere in the USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/12 11:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The CEO that was REMOVED is who did the damage. he was let go. He now works for Thor.

Lots of rumors going around. Some untrue and some half truths and some true. Very few are true.

* This post was edited 03/24/12 11:34am by Dustytuu *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Redwood quality?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS