|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Texas Route

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
JANETRUPP

Bullhead City, AZ and on the road..

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/12 02:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are in planning stages of our trip from AZ to Mississippi and then down to Florida before returning.
I so far have us taking the 10 Fwy up to San Antonio. We would then like your suggestions on going from San Antonio up to the 20 Fwy (but avoiding Dallas and Austin). We need to go into MS and up to Tunica by Christmas before going to Florida.
I was checking on routes before but we are doing the southern Texas, Galveston, Big Bend etc on our way home.
Thanks for you help. We are touring and time is on our side so we would like easy route for 40'MH with sights and stops along the way.
Janet

Loving our life. Hubby and me and Buttons make three (our baby,poodle)
Our Baby Buttons is now at Rainbow Bridge
Monaco Diplomat 40' 4 slide
2012 Equinox tow

dgo1369

Georgetown, TX, US

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/12 02:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JANETRUPP wrote:

We are in planning stages of our trip from AZ to Mississippi and then down to Florida before returning.
I so far have us taking the 10 Fwy up to San Antonio. We would then like your suggestions on going from San Antonio up to the 20 Fwy (but avoiding Dallas and Austin). We need to go into MS and up to Tunica by Christmas before going to Florida.
I was checking on routes before but we are doing the southern Texas, Galveston, Big Bend etc on our way home.
Thanks for you help. We are touring and time is on our side so we would like easy route for 40'MH with sights and stops along the way.
Janet

Seems a little out of the way, but if that's the way you want to go...At San Antonio pick up I-35N and take it to just north of New Braunfels. There you will have two options. The one I ALWAYS take - because the traffic in Austin can be terrible - is to take the toll road 130 and follow it to the end which is just north of Georgetown where it reconnects with I-35, follow that until it joins I-620, the loop around the south and east side of Dallas, until it joins I-20 and you're on your way. The second alternative is to stay on I-35 all the way from San Antone to I-620. If you do, be careful and patient going through Austin.

Dennis Osha

JANETRUPP

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/12 03:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What about taking Hwy 21 up? Is that a decent road and are there some nice places to visit and stop at along the way?

JANETRUPP

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/12 04:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We wanted to go to San Antonio and wanted to take a leisure drive up. First stop will be Hattiesburg, MS before we go up to Tunica. My family lives up by Tunica and we own a mobile home park in Hattiesburg that we need to check out before going to Tunica.
So basically from San Antonio avoid Dallas and Austin and to Hattiesburg.
Thanks all
Janet

JANETRUPP

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/12 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess we really could go and see San Antonio on the way back from Florida. But we do want to take our time and see some of the sights in Texas. Coming back from Florida we will take the southern route to see Galveston, Corpus Christi, and Big Bend etc so we could include San Antonio when we come back.
Still in planning stages, that is why trying to get some good ideas from you good folks.
Thanks,
Janet

rockportrocket

on hyway 77

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/12 04:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there a reason why San Ant on the way out? Why not do I-10 to I-20 and then to Ft Wth, take loop 820 north to 35 north to Gainesville then 82 east to New Boston, then I-30 to I-40 to Memphis and then Tunica.

you miss all the San Ant traffic, all the dal/ftwth traffic, have good highways all the way to Memphis.

MCDDY

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 07:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jane
Guess I'm missing something here but it seems like a lot of backtracking. You would be starting from your listed home, near I-40/Kingman, right?
Mileage wise it would be shorter to take 40 all the way to Memphis then S on US61 to Tunica. Do your visiting there then on to Hattiesburg then angle down to Mobile and on to Fla. Don't know what your itenerary is in Fla. After visiting the Fl. panhandle beache (Panama City/Destin, etc.) you will be disapointed in the Texas beaches unless you go all the way down to S. Padre. You'll enjoy San Antonio and from there take US90W across Tx. to Marathon or Alpine where you turn S. toward Big Bend. With the price of fuel on everyones mind that's a pretty ambitious trip.
Hope this helps.
Dave

GEAUX TIGERS

Dave, Miss Sue & Lucy the Scotty
Big Easy Area.
FMCA 153192
2000 Monaco Windsor, 40' 2 Slide, ISC 350 HP.
2012 Honda Pilot or 1998 Blazer Toads
Aventa 2, Brake Buddy

JANETRUPP

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/12 09:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So sorry, I guess I didn't make it very clear what we are doing.
We want to go the southern route since it is winter and the 40 can be a real bear in the winter. Just this weekend the 40 was shut down here in Arizona.
We want to take a long leisure drive. Yes I know it is a little back-tracking but we are going to Hattiesburg first to check on our mobile home park, we then have family in Tunica which we will spend about 3 weeks visiting for Christmas. Then we will drive to Orlando, Florida to visit our son and family for a couple of weeks before heading home slowly back the southern route thru, Galveston, Corpus Christi and Big Bend, San Antonio etc.
I do know it is a little back-tracking but it is the way my husband wants to go. We have time (both retired) so no problems.
Mainly was checking on a route from the 10 to the 20 in Texas where it is no problem for a 40' MH and a route with some nice sights to stop and enjoy Texas as we travel.And we want to avoid Austin and Dallas.
Sorry for the confusion, guess I didn't have my coffee when typing..lol
Janet

* This post was edited 03/20/12 09:39am by JANETRUPP *

sandersmr

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 10:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From Galveston or CC, the easiest route to Big Bend will be through San Antonio. So you will most likely be going through it on the way back no matter what.

Maggie

Sportsmen Classic 16BH
2002 F150 Supercrew 4.6 L V8

rockportrocket

on hyway 77

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/12 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL if you go thru SA on the way back , you almost have to go thru San Ant and Big bend. along with Galveston. CC and beyond .

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Texas Route
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS