RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Boondocking in British Columbia provincial parks?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Boondocking in British Columbia provincial parks?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/12 10:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have done a search and have found no info on this, so I would bet the answer is no -- but can we boondock in the BC parks?

Thanks in advance!

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

francheska

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/12 11:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure of parks but there are many many places next to streams, lakes, ect that you can boondock.

I'm especially speaking about Vancouver Island in BC. We do it all the time. Good luck we don,t spend

much time on the coast but I would guess there are many areas where you can BD on the main land.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the PPs I've visited were MOSTLY campgrounds but I'm betting that if they don't HAVE a campground they don't want people camping there. Way too many other places to boondock in BC. One of the most beautiful places in the world and the northern part is as close to pristine as you'll find anywhere. There are SOME places clearly marked as no camping areas but so many that are not.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Seamutt

Prince George BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 12:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Inside BC government parks boondocking is not generally allowed. There is plenty of real estate outside of the parks on crown land. There are also numerous forestry campsites. http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/ These are basic only offering up some picnicking tables and an outhouse.

2007 Okanagan 26 RLS Dual 6v.
2001 Chev. 8.1 L 4X4

Seamutt

Prince George BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 12:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forgot to add, here is an excellent source for maps http://backroadmapbooks.com/main/index.html I have no connection to them outside of using their great products.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/12 11:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lower B.C. is mostly like northern Wa. pretty much populated, but getting a little farther north, its pretty remote, you can park most any place and spend the night. The Parks are beautiful, and pay as you stay. lots of places beside lakes and rivers to spend some time free.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

garyhaupt

Back living in Kitimat..northern BC.

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 10:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that topic has been well covered. There is no shortage of camping spots, just not IN BC PROVINCIAL Parks..there are however lots BC Forestry campsites, plus lots and lots of side roads and rest areas.

If the OP would post a sorta kinda idea of where going, then we provide more detailed info.

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

sue.t

Ibex Valley, YUKON

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 06:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generally, provincial parks have organized but rustic campsites that are pleasant enough.

Most of the parks discourage parking overnight in other locations. Some actively discourage it.

Camping in a tent along a hiking trail in the middle of nowhere in a park is acceptable, with some parks requiring registration to overnight in the backcountry.

Lots of good info about each park at the BC Parks site
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

paulj

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

However, getting to clearings on forestry land usually requires driving on logging roads (gravel) of varying quality. And driving logging roads requires an understanding of logging traffic. And good maps, such as the Backroads Mapbooks.

I think a first time visitor should count on staying at established campgrounds, such as those in Provincial Parks. That would especially true if traveling in an RV that could get into problems off pavement or good gravel. I'm sure locals have their favorite informal sites (what the US Forest Service calls dispersed camping), but they are likely to be camping in 4x4 pickups with campers.

I've used a good many of the Provincial Parks, and don't recall any spots, say on access roads, that would be good boondocking. There are day use parking areas, but a park operator would probably ask you to move on if he sees you there after dark. They aren't that different from State Parks.

Tothill

BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP may or may not be aware that almost all BC Provincial Parks have no hooks ups. Off the top of my head I can only think of two that have 15amp electric. Porteau Cove and Steelhead. They do not all have showers or sani stations and some do not have potable water.

Most PP in populated areas have gates that are locked at night.

But as others have said, BC has a huge amount of Crown and or forestry land where you can boondock.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Boondocking in British Columbia provincial parks?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS