RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Do you guys take wood with you to the campsite?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Do you guys take wood with you to the campsite?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
theoakman

Hereford, AZ, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/12 03:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FYI....beetles attacking western evergreens.

We've seen this damage to trees all the way from west Texas up to Alaska. A healthy tree can fend off most insect attacks. The west has been in drought conditions for the past 20 years or so. When the trees are water stressed they emit a pheromone (odor) that mama beetle can pick up on that tells her this is a good place to lay her eggs. She deposits her eggs just under the bark where the cambian layer is located. The cambian is where the tree transports water and nutrients up to the leaves and moves energy the leaves produce down to the roots to store for next years growth.

When the eggs hatch the larva start eating the cambian layer. I've sure most of you have seen the intricate tunnels they make when the bark comes off infected wood. When the larva pupate they exit the tree as adult beetles and the cycle begins all over again and what probably started as one dead tree can become acres of dead trees after several years of this cycle.

Mother Nature at work.....I don't know what will come next...perhaps beetle resistant species.....but most of us probably won't be around to see it. We live on a constantly changing planet....sometimes it is a violent change and other times the change comes slowly over many years.

We are fortunate to have been born when the world has been a beautiful place...enjoy it while we can.

Cya l8r,

the oakman
funny, I don't remember being absent minded
funny, I don't remember being absent minded

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/12 03:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco25E wrote:

webslave wrote:

Never.

I own wooded property, in a wooded part of the state and know first hand of the dangers of not just beetles, but, fungi and disease. There are laws now in most states governing the transportation of wood and they are in place for a reason. I, personally, am not willing to endanger anyone else's trees for the sake of saving a few bucks to have a fire that is not truly necessary to the "outdoor experience" and would prefer that others not endanger mine. While many feel the "need" to have a fire and "camping" (I still, after all these years of RVing have trouble with it being equated to "camping") is just isn't camping without it, there is truly no reason to even have a campfire to begin with. Many campgrounds now don't even have fire rings...they are a fire hazard, a mess for the CG owner and an eyesore for many RVers. How many of us have pulled into an otherwise nice site to discover that the fire ring is full of partially burned trash, surrounded by cigarette butts (I'm a smoker and it offends even me) and other disgusting debris that we can't put a name on?

I'm old enough to remember Dutch Elm Disease, Chestnut blight and the first outbreaks of the Gypsy Moth and the devastation that they brought on the Alleghenies. Now there are bugs and diseases that are attacking the evergreens of the western states... If you can't afford the fire, do without or get an LPG facsimile. I've got a Campfire-in-a-Can that does quite well for ambiance and cooking hotdogs and s'mores. Use it mostly in fire ban areas when I feel the need for a "fire" and it does quite well and as a side benefit, it doesn't generate smoke that chases me around all night.

I do not disagree with the band on carry firewood but I do disagree with you on not needing a campfire when I camp. If you are going to go camping in the outdoors for the purpose of living like folks did many years ago then yes a campfire is needed for cooking such as I do. And no LP is not the same thing. I can never understand folks that camp in big luxory condos on wheels and never step outside of their condo on wheels but say they go camping. If you do not like the campfire smoke then stay in a hotel.

But like you say just my 2 cents.
I didn't know folks used to live in TT's like yours, or my class C, we tented for years, & yes we "needed" a fire, now at my age, we RV, & as far as a fire, if I have one, fine, if I don't, thats fine too.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2005 KIA Spectra
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 04:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We always bring our own wood.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/12 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco25E wrote:

webslave wrote:

Never.

I own wooded property, in a wooded part of the state and know first hand of the dangers of not just beetles, but, fungi and disease. There are laws now in most states governing the transportation of wood and they are in place for a reason. I, personally, am not willing to endanger anyone else's trees for the sake of saving a few bucks to have a fire that is not truly necessary to the "outdoor experience" and would prefer that others not endanger mine. While many feel the "need" to have a fire and "camping" (I still, after all these years of RVing have trouble with it being equated to "camping") is just isn't camping without it, there is truly no reason to even have a campfire to begin with. Many campgrounds now don't even have fire rings...they are a fire hazard, a mess for the CG owner and an eyesore for many RVers. How many of us have pulled into an otherwise nice site to discover that the fire ring is full of partially burned trash, surrounded by cigarette butts (I'm a smoker and it offends even me) and other disgusting debris that we can't put a name on?

I'm old enough to remember Dutch Elm Disease, Chestnut blight and the first outbreaks of the Gypsy Moth and the devastation that they brought on the Alleghenies. Now there are bugs and diseases that are attacking the evergreens of the western states... If you can't afford the fire, do without or get an LPG facsimile. I've got a Campfire-in-a-Can that does quite well for ambiance and cooking hotdogs and s'mores. Use it mostly in fire ban areas when I feel the need for a "fire" and it does quite well and as a side benefit, it doesn't generate smoke that chases me around all night.

I do not disagree with the band on carry firewood but I do disagree with you on not needing a campfire when I camp. If you are going to go camping in the outdoors for the purpose of living like folks did many years ago then yes a campfire is needed for cooking such as I do. And no LP is not the same thing. I can never understand folks that camp in big luxory condos on wheels and never step outside of their condo on wheels but say they go camping. If you do not like the campfire smoke then stay in a hotel.

Agreed. I respect rules of not bringing wood in, but get irritated with those who say 'there is truly no reason to have a campfireto begin with". Let them speak for themselves. Last I checked, I camp for pleasure and to me a campfire IS one of the pure pleasures of camping. Some could say he doesn't "need" that Jayco to camp in for that matter.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 05:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JayWalker2009 wrote:

Jayco25E wrote:

webslave wrote:

Never.

Agreed. I respect rules of not bringing wood in, but get irritated with those who say 'there is truly no reason to have a campfireto begin with". Let them speak for themselves. Last I checked, I camp for pleasure and to me a campfire IS one of the pure pleasures of camping. Some could say he doesn't "need" that Jayco to camp in for that matter.

GOTTA HAVE THE CAMPFIRE OR IT'S NOT CAMPING!

EricGT

PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I am going to give this place (First Landing) a shot.
I'll leave my wood at home and hope they have something reasonable for purchase.

2015 Thor A.C.E. 30.1 -'AliCE'

CincyGus

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/12 06:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just came back from our maiden voyage in the new TT and because the SP has been infested with the emerald ash beetle, the rule was you can bring what you want but you can't take any out with you.

I usally take one of the fire starter logs you get in a box per night if it's been wet or looks like a rainy trip but otherwise, I buy from someone local within a mile or so. They usually have about twice the amount of wood as the little bundles available at the convienent stores and when I let them know I want enough to go across the tailgate to the top rail of the truck, I usually get it for about 30%-50% off of what they would normally sell it for.

I also scrounge what I can thats fallen in the woods when we take walks.

2011 Silverado Crewcab 4x4
2012 Passport 238ML

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

NorthernLimits

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 06:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bid_time wrote:

We always buy firewood from some local usually within a mile or two of the campground. We have never found that it wasn't reasonably priced or another guy just down the street that was.

Yup. We do the same. Most times it's a pile of wood with a coffee can for payment. Load your own.

crabbin cabin

on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/12 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EricGT wrote:

A lot of things to think about.
Pallet wood is one idea I never thought of.
Something to do with the pallets stacked at the back of my store.

Perhaps I'll take a hitch mounted rack with me along with some pallet wood. If I can find affordable wood by the campground, I'll buy local.

I do need to disagree with the propane fired campfire idea though. To me the smell, sounds, warmth, and natural beauty of a bonfire is one of the things I DO look forward to when camping. IMO fire is older than humanity itself. So how can this be a 'new thing'? A propane fired campfire is in itself 'trendy'.

Yes - but Dutch Elm Disease, that has decimated ( but NOT eliminated American elm in this country was introduced into N. America on/in Pallet wood! It is NOT treated and NOT safe! This poster spent most of my career as a tree pathologist studying, researching and controlling Dutch elm disease!!

And it is not the only pest of urban and forest trees that is carried on or in firewood. Just ask the USADA APHIS!

dakasa47

Lynn Ma

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 06:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EricGT wrote:

Well, I am going to give this place (First Landing) a shot.
I'll leave my wood at home and hope they have something reasonable for purchase.

Hi we stayed at First Landing last April and we bought wood at the small store in the campground. I do not remember how much it was but I do remember it was a good size bundle and very dry.....enjoy your stay there. We loved it..it is beautiful...sand dunes and scrub brush all around....and a nice wooden walkway to the beach...

David and Marianne
2010 Tundra
2007 FunFinder 21'

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Do you guys take wood with you to the campsite?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS