RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Mexico fuel prices makes Mexico a deal!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Mexico fuel prices makes Mexico a deal!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
rocmoc

Southern AZ/Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 04:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just saw on BBC News that fuel after all the conversions in England for unleaded gas is $8.40/gal. Sure makes RVing in Mexico look like a deal. We will be headed to Baja next winter.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

rocmoc n Southern AZ/Mexico

1oseph

albuquerque New mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/12 06:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just wondering ????????
Do the US boarder patrol allow you to bring back fuel cans back with Mexican fuel?I fill the truck before I leave Mexico but never fill the Jerry cans with fuel because I am afraid they might take it from me when I cross back to the USA. I know if was red gas , then I would get myself in big trouble .
rocmoc , have you ever brought back fuel back from Mexico to the USA ?
Is it legal ?

Joseph and Dolores

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 06:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At almost three bucks a gallon, it ain't cheap, merely slightly less outrageously expensive. Reminds me of the time some twenty five years ago when I had to pay a dollar each for an apple in Mammoth Lakes, CA. When I gasped, the wealthy matron standing next to me sniffed and said "Well, you could be paying two dollars you know".

briansue

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few years ago when fuel was getting up toward $5 a gallon in the US and was still under $2 in MX we went to the Customs guys at the Columbus,NM - Palomas crossing and asked if we could just cross to get fuel and come right back - they said fine and even told us just what we needed to do - we crossed and got over 100 gallons and came right back and they waved us through. Of course, this is not gas cans but they did know exactly what we were doing. Maybe asking them first is the key?

http://www.briansue2.blogspot.com

clarlk

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 08:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its done everyday, someones hauling fuel and making $$$

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/12 09:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few years ago this was a common practice. It is my understanding that if you are bringing large quantities you need a permit. Heck Rocmoc used to go for fuel on a regular basis.

Moisheh

Snow River TC

BC Canada summer / Jalisco, Mexico winter

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/12 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am in Mexico right now, will be in England (driving) in May. I think I am in for a shock. I guess the best bet is to pretend the economy car I will be driving is my RV.

1oseph

albuquerque New mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/12 08:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So does that mean I can fill my 2 jerry cans and bring it back through customs ?
That would mean I would not have to stop in Lukeville AZ . The fuel there is one of the highest prices around .

Joseph and Dolores

Michael Fisher

Yuma, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/12 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Returning to the U.S. with containers of gas- aside from the normal storage or auxilliary tank in the bed of a truck, a person is held to the 'what is reasonable' standard; When a person is not able to apply his idea of a 'reasonable use' amount, the U.S. Custom WILL apply theirs. Some people have a belief they can constockpile or brings larger amounts back across the border for re-sale. Bringing cans of gas back is exactly the same as bringing Oakleys(knock-off sunglasses) or GUCCI handbags; what is a normal or reasonable use number; commonly 2 or 3- beyond that would be considered and possibly for re-sale. It would be next to impossible to be able to return your cans of gas to a Mexico station for 'return and refund'. A call to any U.S. Customs office should be made before any attempt to take back more than a 'reasonable use' amount.....

Turtle-Toad

Wherever I park (orig Kingston, WA. USA)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/12 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back when fuel in California went sky-high, there were a lot of people crossing the border at TJ that either ended up paying very hefty fines/import fees or had their jerry cans or portable tanks confiscated (one guy had a 250 gal storage tank in the bed of his pickup). Anything over 2 jerry cans was considered excessive, and those had to have their own storage racks.

The 'reasonable amount' rule was the reason. That rule is still in effect but I haven't heard much about it lately, I just figured that people wised up stopped trying to smuggle (?) fuel across the border.

* This post was edited 03/24/12 11:53am by Turtle-Toad *

Turtle & Toad, On the Road
37' Georgetown XL w/3 slides, 1 1/2 bath, & 595 watts of solar power
06 Taco TRD (for "Off the Road")
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here
Only States/Provinces that I have spent at least a week in are shown

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Mexico fuel prices makes Mexico a deal!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS