|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> New motorhomes and no oven

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Sponsored By:
kalynzoo

Los Angeles , California

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 11:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just finished reading the article on the new Phoenix C's in the FMCA magazine. Really nice, but my wife's first comment was: "where's the oven." Maybe we are in the minority, but we really enjoy creating meals when we travel. That is very different from making food, it is the process of finding local produce and product and making a fine meal. Additionally many of us older folk have diet restrictions that make restauranting either an exception or a hassle. In our case we call in advance and ask if the chef can accommodate a reduced salt diet, or we check the menu on the i-phone for acceptable items. Many are willing to help, some, not so much.
Anyway, for us, an oven in our next motorhome will be a necessity.
Still undecided on the residential frig.
Happy Trails.

bsimonds

Winnsboro, TX, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 11:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rather than both a microwave and a conventional oven, most MH's now have a microwave/convection oven. Will that not do?

Bill Simonds
'99 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom
330HP "Yellow" motor
'94 K5 Blazer 4X4 toad

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 11:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

in most cases a traditional LP oven can be installed in place of the storage drawers. we like the oven as well and had the convection oven replaced with a real microwave and the storage drawers replaced with an LP oven when we bought new in 2000. ask your sales critter about this and make it a part of your deal. as for a residential fridge...a nice idea and we don't do all that much boondocking these days but when we do or when the power at the park goes out it's nice to have the LP backup.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

hitchup

Fulltiming and on the Road.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I prefer drawers to the LP oven. And with my GE micro/convection and Flavorwave can make a great meal. Whether it's Holiday pie baking or nightly dinner, I've got it covered.

2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

polly sue

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 11:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the convection/microwave. At first didn't like it, but now I even bake bread in it. We, too, love to cook serious food on board and take our best pots and pans along for the ride. I would like a real oven, but we would sacrifice our best pot storage, under the stove top. We are planning to remove the woofer for the stereo system, which is under the stove, to make the storage area bigger. I weighed my huge Le Creuset dutch oven the other day: it weighs 15 pounds with the lid. Guess that's staying home...Or, I could lose 15 pounds. One or the other.

Effy

MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 11:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I noticed that on a few new MH's too, even some very high end coaches. Seems new designs are leaning toward convection. Saves space, and from what I understand are more efficient and safer.

2013 ACE 29.2

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We miss our gas oven also.
Hate the Micro/Convetion oven.
Never had a problem baking with the gas oven. Lots of problems with the Micro/Convect.

Use the Micro/Convect more as a bread box. Also just to warm up left overs.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Deputy Chief P.O.

Linden, California

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 11:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a microwave/convection oven in our MH. Originally I was quite upset that it did not come with a gas oven. In the manual it came with a cheat sheet and I have found that it is easy to use, it cooks more evenly than the gas oven and is very convenient. Actually the convection oven surpasses the preformance of the gas oven. The draw back for me is that it needs electricity and the gas does not. So to solve this problem we bought a portable coleman gas oven (for outside) when we boondock instead of using the generator to generate the necessary electricity for the convection oven.

Link for outdoor gas oven: http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Camping-Outdoor-Burner/dp/B0013LLSZG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333052669&sr=8-2

Also I would never want a refrigerator without LP for the same reason. We love boondocking/dry camping in the mountains in the summer.

* This post was last edited 03/30/12 08:49am by Deputy Chief P.O. *   View edit history

My advice is worth what you paid for it!

Both of us are Retired Law Enforcement

2003 Pace Arrow 36B
Ansel Adams Edition
3 slide outs
FMCA
Good Sams Lifetime Member

2014 Jeep Patriot Toad

michelb

Ottawa, ON, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 12:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others, I would suggest trying the convection microwave before making a choice - you do save a lot of space and IMO, it works quite well (although we're not big cooks).

The only real drawback is for people that like to boondock in which case a gas a LP oven is great. However, we pretty much only use our oven to prepare dinner and often run the generator at that time anyway to it wouldn't be an issue for us.

Our current mh has a stove top & oven but I wouldn't hesitate to get a stove top & convection mw only.

erstanfo

Northwest, Olympia WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 12:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We ordered our '12 Winnebago journey with the stove/oven option. There is enough storage to loose the 2 drawers and get the LP oven. It was a $100 upgrade.

Ed, Sharon & Doolin the standard poodle
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> New motorhomes and no oven
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: